The Sub To GC Relationship / Connection Thread - General Discussion - Contractor Talk
View Poll Results: My Gc-Sub General Status
I am looking for new GC's to work with 2 100.00%
I am looking for subs to work with 0 0%
I dont' need no stinkin' trade partners 0 0%
It is easy for me to find new connections 0 0%
Connections are very difficult to make in my trade/area 0 0%
We got connections! It is the RELATIONSHIPS that trouble us 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

The Sub To GC Relationship / Connection Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 94
Lightbulb

The Sub To GC Relationship / Connection Thread

So, forgive me if there is old threads that discuss this. I did search and was not able to find a recent discussion--

Coming into the busier season where we are all fighting for a piece of the pie, was thinking that its time for a new year of tips, tricks , thoughts and ideas. Also would like fresh ideas in my head as I am coming into contact with more people, as a newer player.

This thread is to talk about GC and sub relationships and connections.
* How the connections are made
*How the relationships are maintained
* What a GC looks for in a sub--contractor ( and vice-versa)
* How, When, where etc do GC's look for subs ( and vice-versa)
* Sub-contractors, what do you do to connect with GCs that you feel is different ( and working)
* What is your area , both geographic and trade specialty?
*Remodel or new builds?

(These are pretty different in my experience, because we are a framing company.)

I am looking for the good news, the positive advice.
Thanks all

Hard work, respect, honesty and completion makes everything easy, because then you only have to do the job once

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
New Guy

Re: The Sub To GC Relationship / Connection Thread

I asked the big question, so I will start with myself.

We are a framing contractor in California. As a conglomerate business, we did mostly new builds. Now that I am on my own, I am branching out to do more complex customs, commercial new and remodel, and basically anything that the biz requires.

I am always trying to build with new GC's. Bids do not rain from the sky, connections are key to that steady pipeline of work.

I feel confident in my relationship upkeep skills. We perform clean work, communicate well and often, respect the before and after trades, run a straight business and are thankful for any and all jobs. I deal with all persons I come into contact with the way I would want to be dealt with- fairly & honestly.

The market is tight here. I was on the worker bee side for a long time, so my Rolodex is thin where it counts.

Advertisement

Hard work, respect, honesty and completion makes everything easy, because then you only have to do the job once
The Following User Says Thank You to SixStarFC For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,896

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStarFC View Post
I asked the big question, so I will start with myself.

We are a framing contractor in California. As a conglomerate business, we did mostly new builds. Now that I am on my own, I am branching out to do more complex customs, commercial new and remodel, and basically anything that the biz requires.

I am always trying to build with new GC's. Bids do not rain from the sky, connections are key to that steady pipeline of work.

I feel confident in my relationship upkeep skills. We perform clean work, communicate well and often, respect the before and after trades, run a straight business and are thankful for any and all jobs. I deal with all persons I come into contact with the way I would want to be dealt with- fairly & honestly.

The market is tight here. I was on the worker bee side for a long time, so my Rolodex is thin where it counts.
Honestly bro, I have no idea how your guys world in Cali works. I started out as a framing company in Florida and there are two types, the ones who can handle high end complex framing and those who can't. If you can then you were in, **** up, and you were out.

The best thing I ever did was hook up with an architect who was notoriously picky. Then I got hooked up with some commercial/residential GCs at NBHA where the Archy gave a talk. Then straight commercial mixers from there.

Relationships are really just do you make a GC's life harder or easier. If you make it easier is it worth it to pay you how much easier you make it. On the flip side if the GC is a pain in your balls is it worth it for what he pays you?

All comes down to dollars and sense.
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
SixStarFC (05-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 15,450

Commercial they will shop price. I've framed in Southern California for many years before I went out on my own. Framed a few customs right after I got my GC license. Accidentally went into the decking business 16 years ago and haven't looked back. I took it to another level to say the least. My point is, framing is cut-throat in this state. Niches are where it's at as far as money is concerned.

I refuse to work for any other contractors. I only enter into prime contracts.

Mike.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 AM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,560

I am a one man show GC who specializes in home repairs, with an occasional roof, deck, or fence. I mostly work by myself, but have help occasionally.

Pacific NW.

I reached out to my plumber and my electrician because they are also small outfits willing to do my small repairs.

I met my painter at a neighborhood we were both working at. We became friends before he helped me on a job. Iíve had him on a handful of jobs now.

I like to support the little guys, and generally pay a little bit more than the invoice. I pay when the job is done, sometimes before I get an invoice.

I have a network of subs I call on, and they sometimes call on me. I take care of them so they take care of me. Some were referred by others and some I just cold called.

Itís not about the price for me, but about the relationships. I help others out, they help me out, and we all succeed.

I would say reach out to someone you work around, like siders, and ask what they charge. Offer siding estimates along with framing labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
SixStarFC (05-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
I am a one man show GC who specializes in home repairs, with an occasional roof, deck, or fence. I mostly work by myself, but have help occasionally.

Pacific NW.
And all this time, I thought you were a mason from the Chicago area.

No idea how I came to that conclusion.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
SixStarFC (05-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #7

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 196

Mordekyle - I am a one man show custom home builder. Run an identical system. Probably could have copied and pasted your reply and just changed a few words. Your reputation and honesty will lead to referrals. Whether you are a GC or Tradesman.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #8
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Niches are where it's at as far as money is concerned.

Mike.
Calidecks (05-04-2019), SixStarFC (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:02 AM   #9
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Commercial they will shop price. I've framed in Southern California for many years before I went out on my own. Framed a few customs right after I got my GC license. Accidentally went into the decking business 16 years ago and haven't looked back. I took it to another level to say the least. My point is, framing is cut-throat in this state. Niches are where it's at as far as money is concerned.

I refuse to work for any other contractors. I only enter into prime contracts.

Mike.

We have our custom guys that we love to work for, and we are always asked back. I also do lumber lists for a few companies and that makes good money, better than using the using the lumber yards guys to say the least.Its a good thing I am proficient with all trade skills, and my finances, because it is, as you say, cutthroat.

Getting my B license, waiting for a test date. My specialty license has worked for its purpose, but it was definitely time to throw some skin in the game, so to speak. I am fortunate ( and hard working) that we are growing, albeit slowly, and never shrinking.

The Following User Says Thank You to SixStarFC For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:11 AM   #10
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post

Pacific NW.

I reached out to my plumber and my electrician because they are also small outfits willing to do my small repairs.

I met my painter at a neighborhood we were both working at. We became friends before he helped me on a job. Iíve had him on a handful of jobs now.

I like to support the little guys, and generally pay a little bit more than the invoice. I pay when the job is done, sometimes before I get an invoice.

I have a network of subs I call on, and they sometimes call on me. I take care of them so they take care of me. Some were referred by others and some I just cold called.

Itís not about the price for me, but about the relationships. I help others out, they help me out, and we all succeed.

I would say reach out to someone you work around, like siders, and ask what they charge. Offer siding estimates along with framing labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good advice. I can tell you, my dad ran the way you do for years, a one man show. He built half of Mission Viejo before any one realized he was an owner/operator. You have my respect.

We have been doing siding the last few jobs, and I finally got a detail oriented guy I can count on. I pay him really good, and he is happy. It helps he gets along with my main crew. ( Carpenter politics... who knew, right? ) So Cal guys like to piece and choke out the price or they go elsewhere. I actually love that siding work. Composite cladding has been a big hit on my last 2 room additions, and I am really taking a close hard look at its future as a niche product.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:19 AM   #11
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Honestly bro, I have no idea how your guys world in Cali works. I started out as a framing company in Florida and there are two types, the ones who can handle high end complex framing and those who can't. If you can then you were in, **** up, and you were out.

The best thing I ever did was hook up with an architect who was notoriously picky. Then I got hooked up with some commercial/residential GCs at NBHA where the Archy gave a talk. Then straight commercial mixers from there.

Relationships are really just do you make a GC's life harder or easier. If you make it easier is it worth it to pay you how much easier you make it. On the flip side if the GC is a pain in your balls is it worth it for what he pays you?

All comes down to dollars and sense.

No nonsense point of view. I like it, and the way you put it.. My focus of the business since striking out on my own is just what you said... How easy am I to work with? For?

The framing world here has vastly changed. When I started out, it was much as you described it. Then the gates opened up with a lot of guys getting into the trades, and we have an incredibly dense population here. The numbers work against us. My skills as a roof cutter and knowing how to figure really difficult conventional type work has definitely kept me worthwhile.

I like your NHBA story. I have started attending some events with commercial GCs and I can see it paying off. It all boils down to pricing at times though, and I am simply not willing to work for peanuts, the way some outfits in So Cal do. My help and respecting their needs to make a living comes first. I aint the cheapest guy, but I am the best for the job, as they say.

Advertisement