Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Styrafoam wall system?

8K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Dog Dan 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I was watching Eds Up last week, the one where he went down to Louisiana to help rebuild a house. They were using a building system where the walls are styrafoam panels with welded wire mesh on the outside and inside face. The panels are connected to each other with wire ties. when the walls are up they are then sprayed with concrete. They said that the floor system is of the same idea but did not show the floor system or the concrete spraying. They also said the system came from Italy, but did not say the name of the system. Does any know this system or where I can read more about it? they said the system is almost 1/2 the cost of typical construction, can with stand 200km/h winds, and are flood resistant. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
These are the only foam wall systems I have seen used. Too much concrete and the walls bow out. Also I find it hard to believe the insects won't wreck havoc with the system but it's a newer thing so who knows? I've yet to of seen them blowing stuff onto the outside of it.

#4 · (Edited)
They are not an EIFS system. They are Hadrian Tridi-Systems Tridipanel. They are similar in idea to insulated concrete forms except the concrete is on the outside of the foam instead on on the inside. Neat idea but you lose all the benfiets of an ICF system. If you are doing a basement or above grade wall you have to fur out the inside to hang sheetrock and fur the outside if you want to hang siding or anything other than stucco/EIFS. And don't forget that all your electrical has to be ran on the inside BEFORE the shotcrete is sprayed. How many times as GCs have we found out after the drywall is up that our electricians for got to run a feed to a light switch or forgot to run a switch leg to a half switched outlet. Bad enough to have to tear out some sheetrock much less shotcrete. We attempted this system on ONE and only one house and then went back to our ICF system in conjunction with SIPS.

#6 ·
Six months late, but made it to the party...

Someone in southern California does make a styrofoam wall panel covered in a wire mesh, once erected, mechanicals in, you spray the concrete on and level it. I am not familiar with the cost being 1/2, nothing is half of 'conventional construction'.

I am not sure if they use the same for the floor system, I use either litedeck or insuldeck.

#7 ·
I am interested in a quick way to build a garage. Any suggestions?
I have built with full foundation,and floating slab many times, but I wondered if anyone knew of a way to build without the floor or without using concrete.

Chris can you say more about using litedeck?

I did see where a contractor just put pressure treated 6"x6" posts in the ground and surrounded them with insulation board.

They left the pressure treated posts out of the ground about a foot, with half lap rabbits to attach 6"x6" KD post to. They then put horizontal supports up and then steel siding.
The concrete slab was poured after and up to the insulation board. This insulation board was below frost and above ground just high enough to cover the edge of the concrete floor.
It was a very fast build. I think the building was 40'x60' and was finished and up with roofing in 5 days. Including the concrete floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.