Stuck Doors - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Stuck Doors

Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Plumber / Carpenter

Trade: Virginia Building and plumbing contractor
Rewards Points: 1,014

Stuck Doors

I know a person who after having siding installed seems to have trouble closing her exterior doors. They stick, and the strike plate dont align with the latch on the knob or dead bolt. This only happens when it is dry and no humidity. When it rains they work ok. She said the siding people used the pink insulation board on the house before they installed the siding. She had this problem every since the siding was installed, but never before that. My first thought because she lives in Chesterfield, VA it was due to shrink/swell soil conditions there. But she said she had the house 2 years before the siding was installed and had no problems.

Any opinions??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Stuck Doors

Is it just on her word that they were fine before the siding install or do you have prior experience with the doors being ok?

I do have a customer who has dark sideing on his house and when the sun hits the siding it heats up the outside of the house and you can hear all the expansion and his doors also get hard to close. She could have the same problem.

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpentry and painting
Rewards Points: 500

i'm curious to find out that answer too BC. because it sounds to me like she might be trying to pull a fast one on the sidewallers. but who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Doorfitter

if the "strikes" don't line up ... check the "reveal" or Gap around the doors (between the header and sides) it may be that one of the doors leans over when the jamb or wall behind it swells.

then atleast you know which side is causing the problem and how to fix it, doesn't sound like a 'door' problem if it only swells when wet.

another thing is to make sure that the doors are properly sealed from mosture themselves.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

did the siding guys trim the door all the way in to the weather strip?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

step one: tighten the hinge screws before claiming it was the result of the siding guys.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Builder

Depending on the type of siding used it might be possible they pushed the door jambs with the siding. Maybe not tight but closer than before. Of course if it is vinyl then no...
I have seen guys force the siding in rather than trim it.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 208

It's hard to imagine vinyl siding forcing a door not to work properly. Could there be moisture problems because of the siding?
The striker not lining up seems more like ground movement, not siding issues.
rj
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjconstructs View Post
It's hard to imagine vinyl siding forcing a door not to work properly. Could there be moisture problems because of the siding?
The striker not lining up seems more like ground movement, not siding issues.
rj

I have seen sideing push a door frame out of shape but it was because of a bad retaining wall pushung the sideing into the door frame.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #10

Trade: handyman do all
Rewards Points: 157

Look the door over to see if you run 3 inch deck screws into the top hinge it will pull the door over to allow the strike plates to align and produce clearance for the door to move freely.

From what I have seen is that doors only are affected by the weather if they are real close to binding or not aligning. Another words I have never seen large amounts of shifting because of humidity.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

I once set 27 doors in a house and came back to trim with a new guy... the new guy was shoving base in that was a 1/4 too long to almost 3/8 and totally bound up my doors and threw off all my cased openings...

So yes, i think if its anything other than vinyl... could be some to do with the siding.... but doubtful from installation.... unless it was cement board... that could apply the needed force to bind a door.

Did they remove any siding? Has the roof been torn off? I took 8 layers off a home while the H/O was out of town... when they got back they called and asked if i had screwed the doors shut.... I said well no (being that they left a check for me... but good idea to ensure pmnt tho)

turns out all that weight coming off bound not just the doors but some windows as well.
Or the gutters or down spouts? while installin fascia? any rain while the gutters were off? foundation settling?
I agree with the 3" screw idea and checking that the reveal is good. Should do the trick...

Last edited by 21gun; 08-14-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Plumber / Carpenter

Trade: Virginia Building and plumbing contractor
Rewards Points: 1,014

I talked to a building inspector who said he thinks its because they used the pink board and its holding moisture within the walls causing the doors to stick.

Advertisement