Storm/Security Door Complaint. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Storm/Security Door Complaint.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,102

Storm/Security Door Complaint.

Replaced an entry door yesterday. This thing had been hacked to hell and back. At some point somebody had swapped out the original steel 1 3/4 door for an interior wood 1 3/8 door. They left the 4" hinges, overmortised the door, then just kinda had the poor door mash in the extra 3/8 to meet the strike. There was also about 3 generations of hacked weatherstripping added to the integrated jamb to seal the gap. None of them actually worked.

All of that aside, the real gripe I had is that when they put the new door on they didn't account for the security door knob/deadbolt and all the parts were mashing into each other every time the door got closed. I had to get a new doorknob for the customer because the existing was so mashed out of whack by smacking into the security door deadbolt that it was about to completely fall apart.

This leads me to my complaint. Manufacturers have to know how many hacks and homeowners there are in the world, right? How has nobody come up with an alternative to the door handle on security and screen door? Low profile deadbolts exist. Good. How about a push bar styled button for the inside of screen doors and security doors? It would perform the same function as a knob or a depressed lever style screen door, but you could save a full inch, if not more, which would avoid so much annoyance for everyone.

How do I get in touch with Andersen?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 770

Re: Storm/Security Door Complaint.

Andersen has their 800 number on a sticker on the door

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

Trade: Salesman
Rewards Points: 42

You might even get to talk to a live rep after 20 minutes of holding.. and I'm sure they'll get right on it tomorrow morning, possibly tonight yet. Good luck though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,362

That should not have happened.
If it was a pre-hung entry door with a storm door the handles should have cleared each other.

The door companies got their act together and I haven't had a handle issue with any "newer" doors. Should be a 5 1/2" c>c spacing between deadbolt bore and knob bore.

Now an old wood entry door where the contractor bored the handle wherever he felt like, those are the issue.
NJGC (05-11-2017), Tom M (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

The retrofitting was the entire issue on this one.

Security door was an add on, then the crappy replacement door was an add on to the add ons. Whole thing was beyond the pale.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,000

When the knobs touch, someone usually removed the brick mold where the storm door attaches directly to the entry door jamb. That space is critical as Tim pointed out.

As for storm doors....... they all are suck and some give you more hassle than you could possibly be paid for.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Some of the worst jobs I've ever done have been storm doors.

Never found a manufacturer I actually liked working with. Just certain lines I can tolerate more than others. I push those.

The new Andersen kinds come with these retarded fixed frames that they recommend installing without even using a level! Ridiculous and completely encourages even more hack work.
Yet another thing that makes me wonder why I ever left San Diego, land of no storm doors.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Some of the worst jobs I've ever done have been storm doors.

Never found a manufacturer I actually liked working with. Just certain lines I can tolerate more than others. I push those.

The new Andersen kinds come with these retarded fixed frames that they recommend installing without even using a level! Ridiculous and completely encourages even more hack work.
Yet another thing that makes me wonder why I ever left San Diego, land of no storm doors.

I never use a level for a storm door installation

I know a guy in San Diego who is originally from Maryland and begged me if I ever drive out there to please bring him a "real storm door like they use back east"
Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #9

No storms, hardly any mosquitoes. I understand why nobody has them. Unneeded annoyance!

If you brought a truck full of Yuengling and storm doors out there, you'd be Andrew Carnegie overnight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
rblakes1 (05-11-2017), TimNJ (05-11-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

The storm doors I've installed called for drilling the holes for the handles so I put them lower than the door knob.

Advertisement