Sometimes, It's Best To Decline A Project. Sometimes, It Works In Your Favor.... - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Sometimes, It's Best To Decline A Project. Sometimes, It Works In Your Favor....

Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Sometimes, It's Best To Decline A Project. Sometimes, It Works In Your Favor....

So, I had a customer show me a price from another contractor they had received for the work I had bid. It was a handyman and he had out-bid me by about $1,500. I reviewed his quote and my own over the weekend to see if there was anything I could do. I decided to hold firm.

I sent the customer a nice email (they don't answer phone calls) explaining that I would be unable to provide them with a quality project at that price. I told them we have a level of customer service and quality that we deliver on every project with no exceptions. At the price quoted, we would be unable to deliver what we stand for.

About two hours later I received an email back telling me the final granite color selection and asking if I could take Amex as payment.

I never find that it is good practice to cut your own number to get a job. Had I done that, I might find myself looking for ways to cut corners like most of the low guys do. Rather than do that, I was honest and upfront that I could not match the price an why.

Anytime I am asked if I match prices, I typically say no. My price is my price. I will help you all day long to reduce the cost of your project by changing scope and materials. However, my markup doesn't change.

Just figured I'd share....
AlbacoreShuffle (05-27-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 918

Re: Sometimes, It's Best To Decline A Project. Sometimes, It Works In Your Favor....

Well done!

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 320

Re: Sometimes, It's Best To Decline A Project. Sometimes, It Works In Your Favor....

I always say the only way to get it cheaper is to change it or hire some one else. Lots of times they hire someone else and change it
The Following User Says Thank You to donerightwyo For This Useful Post:
Jaws (05-25-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 718

About 5 years ago I bid a large addition after doing the 200 amp service and basement remodeling wiring. The quote was $11k and the GC made a LOT of changes. He may have wanted the changes for free but it brought my quote to $22k. The GC wouldn't sign the contract.

A few months later I got a call from the homeowner that the GC had abandoned the project and the wiring was a mess. There were live wires hanging out of outlets (they had small children & a dog). Their kitchen was short about 8 circuits for all their custom equipment. In the end the repairs and rewiring came to about $22k.
cwatbay (05-27-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Handymen are people too

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 356

I never understood how anybody could ask a contractor to lower his price. Do these same people ask the cashier at the store if they can lower the price? Or ask the waitress for a better price at a restaurant? Or asking a doctor if they can lower the bill?

These people wouldn't ask any other business for a lower price just contractors

Also I think it's highly offensive to even think of asking a contractor for a lower price.

When I hear this from potential customers...

"oh that price sounds high" I say based on what?
"can you give me a better price?" sure what did i say? $1,000? how about $1,500 is that better now? oh you mean BETTER FOR YOU....THAT'S NOT FAIR WHAT ABOUT ME?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to realelectrician For This Useful Post:
Aaron Berk (05-26-2012), fjn (05-25-2012), GRB (05-25-2012), jamestrd (05-27-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Well done

I've always been of the opinion that if I will discount my price then I was gouging in the first place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (05-25-2012), Lockejaw (05-25-2012), wookie (05-27-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

People are funny. I went on a bid last year to look at building a cricket behind a chimney, replacing the shingles around it and installing new chimney flashing. I told him the price and he says wow, that seems like a lot for such a simple job. Truthfully, I didn't even know what to say. I ended up sputtering out that the price I quoted is what is needed to not only make a profit but to also stay in business in case there is ever a problem with the job.

Never heard from him again.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Handymen are people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
People are funny. I went on a bid last year to look at building a cricket behind a chimney, replacing the shingles around it and installing new chimney flashing. I told him the price and he says wow, that seems like a lot for such a simple job. Truthfully, I didn't even know what to say. I ended up sputtering out that the price I quoted is what is needed to not only make a profit but to also stay in business in case there is ever a problem with the job.

Never heard from him again.
I never justify my price and explain. No other type of business does it why should contractors?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Usually the first thing out of my mouth after hello is if you have to ask how much it's going to cost, you can't afford me.
The Following User Says Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
SC sawdaddy (05-30-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 320

I was thinking about this the other day when the lady that owns the convience store was haggling me on her kitchen remodel. What if I rolled up to the counter in her store with a chicken samich and candy bar and said " Boy that sure seems high, isn't there any wiggle room on this?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donerightwyo For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (05-25-2012), Jaws (05-26-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by realelectrician View Post
I never understood how anybody could ask a contractor to lower his price. Do these same people ask the cashier at the store if they can lower the price? Or ask the waitress for a better price at a restaurant? Or asking a doctor if they can lower the bill?

These people wouldn't ask any other business for a lower price just contractors
You've never haggled about anything before. There are someplaces i don't like a grocery store but I do it often enough with my suppliers. I tell them I want to give them the business but their cometition can sell it to me for such and such a price, can you match it. Materials, tools etc... 50% of the time they can match it. better to make $10 rather than $20 when the other option is loose a sale. Circumstances can make you drop or raise prices. I know my pricing isn't standard across the board.

I understand it's not the same thing because they're offering apples against apples. contractors have various levels of skill and quality so it's not the same, but to say that it's insulting is nuts. People haggle, haggle back, or stay firm but don't get insulted, it's just human nature.

Last edited by dom-mas; 05-25-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Handymen are people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom-mas View Post
You've never haggled about anything before. There are someplaces i don't like a grocery store but I do it often enough with my suppliers. I tell them I want to give them the business but their cometition can sell it to me for such and such a price, can you match it. Materials, tools etc...

I understand it's not the same thing because they're offering apples against apples. contractors have various levels of skill and quality so it's not the same, but to say that it's insulting is nuts. People haggle, haggle back, or stay firm but don't get insulted, it's just human nature.
It's an insult to ask any contractor to lower their price. If the price is too high simply say thank you for your time and call another contractor.

Like I said before these people never ask doctors, restaurants, supermarkets, and other services to lower their prices so why contractors? You know why? because of guys like you who WILL HAGGLE that are part of the problem.

The old saying goes "take it or leave it"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to realelectrician For This Useful Post:
GRB (05-25-2012), katoman (05-25-2012), svronthmve (05-26-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 870

I'm "negotiating" with one just like this right NOW.

The basement electrical came in at $9300.

I gave him a 20 percent discount right off the top since it's new construction.

He wanted more. Every time I counter with a lower offer I take something away.

I'm pretty much done with this guy right now, but my final offer was to allow us up to 4 months to complete the rough in and use his job as a "filler". So a week job might last up to 4 months. That would put him in the category of a second class customer in a way. It's not going to change the cost of the job that much either due to travel time and set up.

Being cheap is always pretty expensive, but some just don't get it no matter how many times you explain it.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Handymen are people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
I'm "negotiating" with one just like this right NOW.

The basement electrical came in at $9300.

I gave him a 20 percent discount right off the top since it's new construction.

He wanted more. Every time I counter with a lower offer I take something away.

I'm pretty much done with this guy right now, but my final offer was to allow us up to 4 months to complete the rough in and use his job as a "filler". So a week job might last up to 4 months. That would put him in the category of a second class customer in a way. It's not going to change the cost of the job that much either due to travel time and set up.

Being cheap is always pretty expensive, but some just don't get it no matter how many times you explain it.

Nothing wrong with knocking the price down if you remove some items they want. When contractors just lower the price and do the same work that's crazy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to realelectrician For This Useful Post:
cwatbay (05-27-2012), rselectric1 (05-25-2012), TNTRenovate (05-27-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,686

I love it when the potential customer asks,are you firm on your price? Isay absolutely not---------if you are inclined to pay more we will take it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
chris klee (06-01-2012), cwatbay (05-27-2012), DavidC (05-26-2012), fez-head (05-26-2012), Metro M & L (05-26-2012), parkers5150 (05-26-2012), pinwheel (05-27-2012), realelectrician (05-25-2012), svronthmve (05-26-2012), TNTRenovate (05-27-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
It's an insult to ask any contractor to lower their price. If the price is too high simply say thank you for your time and call another contractor.

Like I said before these people never ask doctors, restaurants, supermarkets, and other services to lower their prices so why contractors? You know why? because of guys like you who WILL HAGGLE that are part of the problem.

The old saying goes "take it or leave it"

Guys like me who haggle huh. There's a job just down the road from me that I gave a price in at $9.50 sqft. my competition came in at $8.50. I'll use maybe $50 in fuel for a months worth of work and be able to leave the house @ 6:50 rather than 6:30. To come down $0.25 a sqft as a gesture and get the job is more than worth it.

Every job is different, every job has it's own parametres. I seem to remember you saying a few weeks ago that you weren't that busy. Maybe I know why. i also seem to recall you saying that you could do a one day job and float for 3 days on that one job. I don't know if I'll be taking any business advice from you

Haggling is human nature, don't haggle if you don't want to, it's not something i do routinely, most often someone asks me to do work because they want me to do the work and aren't even getting other prices, but if someone does haggle i don't get insulted. i either figure if there's a bit of wiggle room or no. Yeah I can come down 5% or Nope sorry can't do it, i only get insulted if they push the point which isn't haggling it's just attempted bullying.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Handymen are people too

Quote:
Guys like me who haggle huh. There's a job just down the road from me that I gave a price in at $9.50 sqft. my competition came in at $8.50. I'll use maybe $50 in fuel for a months worth of work and be able to leave the house @ 6:50 rather than 6:30. To come down $0.25 a sqft as a gesture and get the job is more than worth it.

Every job is different, every job has it's own parametres. I seem to remember you saying a few weeks ago that you weren't that busy. Maybe I know why. i also seem to recall you saying that you could do a one day job and float for 3 days on that one job. I don't know if I'll be taking any business advice from you

Haggling is human nature, don't haggle if you don't want to, it's not something i do routinely, most often someone asks me to do work because they want me to do the work and aren't even getting other prices, but if someone does haggle i don't get insulted. i either figure if there's a bit of wiggle room or no. Yeah I can come down 5% or Nope sorry can't do it, i only get insulted if they push the point which isn't haggling it's just attempted bullying.
I was slow roughly a month ago and just got off an 11 day straight run and now taking 3 days off for memorial day.

What if you lower the price and the customer says "cool so why didn't you just offer me that price to begin with?" I'd love to see your face when they ask that

Don't take advice from me who cares not me. I save the haggling for the used car lot.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
What if you lower the price and the customer says "cool so why didn't you just offer me that price to begin with?" I'd love to see your face when they ask that
My answer would be the truth, i want to do this job and i'm willing to sacrafice a bit to get it. I won't go down to the point where I'm not making money, including profit, and I won't lower my price that often, but i certainly don't get insulted if someone does ask. It's a part of life, just another part of dealing with the public.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
Handymen are people too

Quote:
My answer would be the truth, i want to do this job and i'm willing to sacrafice a bit to get it. I won't go down to the point where I'm not making money, including profit, and I won't lower my price that often, but i certainly don't get insulted if someone does ask. It's a part of life, just another part of dealing with the public.
whatever works for you
Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:

If this is the case then I would guess that you, your client or both have missed the point.

The only way to change the price is to justify it. Either change the scope of the work or demonstrate that some value is exchanged for the concession. At the end, if they ask why you didn't offer that price to begin with you should be embarrassed. Obviously they weren't offered anything they saw as a trade.

Good Luck
Dave

Advertisement

fez-head (05-26-2012)