Some Bastard Stole My Makita Impact Driver With Battery - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Some Bastard Stole My Makita Impact Driver With Battery

Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Some Bastard Stole My Makita Impact Driver With Battery

we had our tools on the porch where we were doing a RRP soffit repair, had the area caution taped off. no tools on the sidewalk, cleaning up at the end of the day to put things in the truck and the impact is missing. I still have the new one I just bought, because the one that got stolen was being repaired. So I sunk 80 bucks into it to get it fixed and now it's gone with a 90 dollar battery.
oh well. What goes around comes around. There were about 5 different contractors working up and down this particular street today. The homeowner was even home when this occurred.

200 dollars to replace this, I might just get a whole new drill/driver kit with batteries and charger.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Some Bastard Stole My Makita Impact Driver With Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
200 dollars to replace this, I might just get a whole new drill/driver kit with batteries and charger.
Buying kits is usually the way to go, over individual tool/battery replacement. I recommend sticking with the same brand/voltage that you have so that you're not chasing batteries on a work site, everything stays interchangeable.

Bummer on the loss.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Dan

yeah. i have a bunch of the lithium ion batteries. i always buy in a kit, but not the big ones in bags. i don't like those. too bulky.

but this makita set. I've had for three years or more. I had some issues with the drill and driver a month ago and had them both repaired. cost me 200 bucks which I'm still trying to get reimbursed from the rep because they didn't have my authorization to do the repair for that amount of money.

while those were getting repaired, I needed another impact to use, so i bought the tool only for 96 bucks. At least they walked away with the older one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Can I get an Amen?

Trade: Custom Woodworks
Rewards Points: 1,060

From the deepest part of my soul, I am truly sorry and feel responsible for your loss.

Let me explain,
Rewind the time clock back to 1996.
I was a punk, dope headed kid with nothing to lose and no foreseeable future. I was walking through a strip mall area in SC and there was a lone contractor working on one of the last units. Doing a tenant improvement I suppose. Well as I'm walking by I see a nice new looking 3/8 dewalt VSR corded drill sitting on the guys tailgate. First thing through my head.... "I could pawn that for some weed money" Well that's exactly what I did.

And to this day, every time I hear of a stolen tool, I wish I could find that contractor from 96 and apologize. But until that happens, I extend my apology to YOU.

Now fast forward back to 2010, I've now got Christ in my life, a Beautiful wife, 6 kids, and 5yrs duty as a US Marine. You can find me at the forefront of loss prevention. And I'm no where near the punk I used to be.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Berk For This Useful Post:
administr8tor (09-21-2010), ApgarNJ (09-21-2010), cexcavation (09-22-2010), MAULEMALL (09-21-2010), PA woodbutcher (09-22-2010), pinwheel (09-22-2010), rotarex (09-22-2010), TimelessQuality (09-21-2010), TimNJ (01-19-2011)
Old 09-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 5,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
From the deepest part of my soul, I am truly sorry and feel responsible for your loss.

Let me explain,
I was a punk, dope headed kid with nothing to lose and no foreseeable future. I was walking through a strip mall area in SC and there was a lone contractor working on one of the last units. Doing a tenant improvement I suppose. Well as I'm walking by I see a nice new looking 3/8 dewalt VSR corded drill sitting on the guys tailgate. First thing through my head.... "I could pawn that for some weed money" Well that's exactly what I did.

And to this day, every time I hear of a stolen tool, I wish I could find that contractor from 96 and apologize. But until that happens, I extend my apology to YOU.
Now fast forward back to 2010, I've now got Christ in my life, a Beautiful wife, 6 kids, and 5yrs duty as a US Marine. You can find me at the forefront of loss prevention. And I'm no where near the punk I used to be.

Dam now I know what happend to my Drill, I thought I had left it on my Tailgate and drove away..................J/K

I think that is Decent of you to Come clean and want to make amends!

You have my Respect.

( not that you needed it- so stfu and take it) lol
Aaron Berk (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: ooo

That really sucks, sorry that happened. My van has been broken into before....it's a ****## feeling. Nothing a cold beer and a HD card can't handle.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor ~ Property Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,306

I never buy tools from guys in HD parking lots, etc., becuase I know they probably stole them from someone else who needs them to make a living. Regardless of the deal being offered; I'd rather pay ten times as much and be able to sleep at night then to constantly think that one man's loss was my gain.

I am sorry for your loss, and may the fkr who took your tool have a severe case of genital warts followed by a strange string of uncurable crabs.
tgeb (09-21-2010), TimNJ (01-19-2011), Tom Struble (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Quote:

Let me explain,

Send Dan a new drill and he will forgive you.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Send Dan a new drill and he will forgive you.
I thought prayers of atonement generally came in 10's and 100's?

Dibs on drill #2!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
we had our tools on the porch where we were doing a RRP soffit repair, had the area caution taped off. no tools on the sidewalk, cleaning up at the end of the day to put things in the truck and the impact is missing. I still have the new one I just bought, because the one that got stolen was being repaired. So I sunk 80 bucks into it to get it fixed and now it's gone with a 90 dollar battery.
oh well. What goes around comes around. There were about 5 different contractors working up and down this particular street today. The homeowner was even home when this occurred.

I hate reading these threads about tool theft. It takes a proper low life to steal a mans tools that he needs to make a living.

Don't forget they are doing a free battery at the moment. That will at least cover the one that's stolen.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

That bites!

I had my van ripped off w/tools some years ago, that will make your heart sink. The cops caught'em about 90 miles from here and before they could sell anything, still a 3 day setback to recover and get everything back together.

Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,538

Quote:
Christ, wife, kids, and US Marine. And I'm no where near the punk I used to be.
thanks for sharing Aaron It's nice to improve with age, isn't it
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
Aaron Berk (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: hack painting

Not as big a deal...

but just a few weeks ago someone stole my 6' ladder.

I was working on a warehouse ext...I walked to the front, walked back around to the back...no ladder.
So I walk clear around the building, trying to figure out where I left it.
Then I went inside "hey any of you guys seen a 6' step ladder?"

Owner says "No, but lets check the security video"...takes me into his office

There it was in crappy living color...some guy drove up, put my ladder in his truck and drove away.

Lesson: Watching someone steal your stuff on TV don't make you feel any better about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Richards For This Useful Post:
loneframer (09-21-2010), Wolfgang (01-19-2011)
Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
I hate reading these threads about tool theft. It takes a proper low life to steal a mans tools that he needs to make a living.

Don't forget they are doing a free battery at the moment. That will at least cover the one that's stolen.
free battery with what?

I am eyeing up another 18 volt drill/driver kit, with one charger, two batteries. Amazon has it for $296 I think HD is 329
Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,164

Check the Makita website. It's a promotion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin M. For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

It stinks that your stuff got jacked, but as corny as this sounds, it was just stuff as opposed to your health. Anyhow, you know what you like. It sucks, it's always something. Let's hope it stay with only things as opposed to limbs.

If the balance isn't where it needs to be and you need tools quick, the Ryobi lit/ion works just fine. I have had the impact drill, and all the other stuff for about four years and have not had any problems. Generally, I use only the impact and flash light. The sawzall and hammer drill are ok also.

Truth is though, once you go with one brand, it usually is most beneficial to go with them so you can interchange batteries & chargers.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

I sure hate to hear that ApgarNJ. Strange I just had something similar happen with my 18v DeWalt Circular saw with the rip fence still attached to it. I had a cutting station set up right outside the HO's front door (and in a nice neighborhood too, just a busy street about 100 feet, or so, away) and had just finished a cut and went back in the house to check the fit. Wasn't gone for full one minute, and came back out the door when, viola, just like magic the saw was gone and not a hair nor hide of a soul around. Something like that just ruins a good day/week or even month when there isn't much else coming in. However, I will admit it's not as bad as getting up in the morning and finding your work vehicle missing (happened to me twice while in Memphis).

So I do feel for ya buddy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff G For This Useful Post:
ApgarNJ (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

Same here ApgarNJ,
What I would like to see happen to that lowlife, is what happened to Wallace in Braveheart. Fitting IMO.
Steve
Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,538

I 'lost' a cordless recip saw a few years ago. While working in an apartment complex, the guys took the tools down from a patio door install and the next day when I needed the saw it wasn't there. The worker remembers putting it in the truck and I checked the dumpster to make sure it didn't get tossed by accident (using 30g plastic cans) and the bushes in case a kid was messing around. On the up side I picked up another off ebay for $70 and it was the newer version with the 4in1 chuck allowing the blade to be turned at 90 degree increments-four positions-it has proven to be most useful! I didn't lose any sleep over it but learned to not leave the truck unlocked/open for any reason-it's a pain to lock/unlock constantly but the peace mind is nice.

on the flip side of this discussion I've been thinking of an alarm gizmo for the truck-it would work like this: as soon as the rear or side door is open a well placed switch must be touched to deactivate a timed circuit which would set off a security siren. Same premise as the old auto alarms where you open and put the key in the ign within 20 seconds or the alarm sounds. There would also be a bypass switch so that the system could be used in areas where extra security is necessary. Now if I could have someone engineer the circuitry for me that would be golden!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #20
Dan

anyone have one of those 3 speed makita impacts. I'm looking at that because it comes with a third battery free via mail in rebate.

I have only had the 141 one speed impact models. It's 335 bucks for the three speed one 144 model, with two batteries, case and charger. the combo sets aren't eligible for the free battery. I really don't need another drill though, I have one makita drill that was paired with my impact that got stolen and I have 2 milwaukees loktor 18v that I use also. Not that I use drills all that often we normally only have cordless drill out at a time but we usually have 2 impacts with different bits out. I'll be missing that impact until it's replacing, I hate switching bits.

Advertisement