Site Dumpster - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Site Dumpster

Old 03-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Site Dumpster

I think its funny how when a Dumpster is delivered, everyone thinks its a green light for free rubbage drop off. I subbed on a job a while back remodeling a law office and the employees of the Firm would back up to the Dumpster in the morning and pop the trunk and unload. I have even seen employees of companies doin it too. Do you guys stipulate anything in regards to dumpster use in contract or to employees? Just curious...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 4

Re: Site Dumpster

We try to get the tall dumpsters and close the heavy door at night to discourage people from doing that. You would think it would be common knowledge that someone else paid for the dumpster, and that any unauthorized use is illegal. But in the same breath, I must admit that from time to time, the allure of a new, large, empty dumpster freshly delivered to a site that I am working on has caused me to partake a time or two. If its gonna be a decent amount, I always ask the GC first.

Advertisement

Easy Gibson
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Working Class
Rewards Points: 75

I've gone through peoples trash and found their name and address. I found checkbooks, all kinds of stuff from these clowns. Family pictures, her naughty nightware. I called the cops and passed on their info and told him to tell them to come get their tires and air conditioner. Cop acted like he was going to get them, but never called me back. When I did call them, they didn't know anything about it. Dumpster guy ended up telling me that I could throw it back in there, no charge. I've gotten in the neighborhood of 30 dumpsters (30 yd) from him in the last 3 years though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Multicraft
Rewards Points: 25

This is one of the reasons I plan to buy a 6x10 dump trailer real soon. I think it will be cheaper and more convenient and it seems like folks might respect a trailer more than a dumpster.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Thats why I never get less than a 30Yd its only $60 more than a 15 yd so it's worth it to know that I will be able to get all the junk from the job into it and if someone tosses a sofa it won't screw me.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

I put a limit on how many dumpsters I will use to complete a project.
I also explain that illegal dumping could cause overages on the dumpster fees & an extra dumpster may be required to complete the project for $X per extra dumpster.
This usually deters HO’S from dumping
Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry & Remodeling

Where i live my taxes pay for 200lbs a day of garbage drop at the transfer station. But thats starting to change, i do admit that it is tempting, but i would never think of dropping anything more than a grocery bag in it without permission...And i see couches,mattresses,tvs etc..
And another aspect is the H.O. The contractor didnt figure in their "spring cleaning" into his dumpster budget, Or the shrub removal over the weekends...........
Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Foster View Post
IDo you guys stipulate anything in regards to dumpster use in contract or to employees? Just curious...
We certainly do. We only do residential work so our verbiage is aimed toward the homeowner. We basically say the homeowner is not allowed to put anything in our dumpster. It's for construction debris only. Further we state that anything found in the dumpster not put in it by us becomes the homeowners responsibility and that it will be removed and provided to the homeowner for disposal.

We often have our dumpsters delivered a few days before the job starts and before we specified this sort of thing it was not unusual to arrive for the job start and find the homeowner had tossed in all kinds of landscaping cuttings or cleared out part of their garage into the dumpster. When it happens now we politely remove it and set it at the curb for the customer and politely inform them of the policy again and let them know that if at the end of the job there is room they are more than welcome to use the remaining space in the dumpster.

I've had some really rich customers who had seemed to believe this dumpster was their private disposal, for the first 3 days of their project they were throwing all kinds of stuff in our dumpster. The problem was they didn't get the idea that they weren't supposed to because instead of taking the stuff out and putting it at the curb so they got the idea, my guys were taking the stuff out and taking it home!!!! They were throwing away perfectly good barbeque grill, kids bikes, a nice wheel barrow, brand new music CDs, DVDS.. all sorts of stuff

Last edited by Mike Finley; 03-27-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Professional Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Foster View Post
I think its funny how when a Dumpster is delivered, everyone thinks its a green light for free rubbage drop off.
An underfed Rottweiler would be a good deterrent.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
The Deck Guy

Trade: Outdoor Design & Construction

I have a dump trailer and do not have the problems you've described.

As a gesture of good will, I will let decent clients throw crap in if there's room. For really pleasant clients, I'll just let them fill the whole thing up gratis. Generally, household junk is light and costs me barely anything to dump. People really appreciate me doing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Di For This Useful Post:
dkillianjr (03-27-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

Most of the time it's not an issue. People do put alot of stuff in them everytime one is set but they are always plenty large enough and it helps the area get cleaned up. I'd much rather have the neighbors filling it than leaving their homes looking trashy when we are making the place look better. Co signs are on 5 owned 30yrd rolloffs so people know who's taking out the trash.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,464

Buying a dump trailer a year ago was one of the best things I ever did. People do seem to respect it more than a dumpster, plus I have a snap on cover that I keep on it. It seems to let people know don't throw crap in here

I charge for a dumpster, but the money goes to me. It has paid for itself already. I love doing things at my leisure, I also hate having to pre scedule things.

Dave
Old 03-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

i just filled a few 20 yarders when i tore out my house and the day i had the first one dropped of the guy accross the road who i didnt even know walked over with some old boxes he had in his yard and threw them in my dumbster as i stood there and watched. He then said you dont mind do ya! Didnt really bother me as it was only a small amount but the check of it. The next day i turned up i found someones old windows in there! no idea where they come from. The funny thing was the guy next door was pulling stuff out of it faster than i could put it in there.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Hauling/trucking
Rewards Points: 384

I can't count how many times I have come to the site in the morning and found things that clearly didn't come from the project. I have also had high wall dumpsters (30-40yd) that people don't even try to throw their debris in (couches, spring cleaning). If they can't throw it in, they just leave the junk next to the bin! About a year ago I had 9.5CY plywood boxes out side a project and kept finding other contractors trash inside, and across the street they were remodeling as well. I walked in to the other house and found the same materials as were in my box. Around these parts the police call that "Theft of Service".
Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: building and remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

just curious what are you paying per ton/ cu yard for unloading your dump trailor. Here it is $ 54.36/ ton, but I think about $8.00 is for environmental fees and county fees.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor

We always provide dumpsters on each project, and on large project we will go thru 25 or 30, 30 yard loads, even more on jobs where you can't burn. We provide 20 yard dumpsters for the masons, 'cause their stuff is so heavy, if you fill up a thirty with it, the trucks can't pick it up.

My problem is that we give the subs an option to take a deduct on their contract to use the dumpsters we provide. Many of the smaller subs say no, they will haul their own trash off site. Then they load up my dumpsters anyway, and I have to estimate percentages on each load and send back charges. Then they think I'm a a**hole.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

We finally resorted to a 30 yardah' with a roof and lock.

What a PITA

Not saying this is the way to go but it worked in an area when people were taking advantage of a free dump.

I use my dump trailer whenever possible..........
Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Construction Manager
Rewards Points: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailHandyman View Post
... if you really want him to be effective cut his vocal chords
Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailHandyman View Post
one of the major american airlines use to do that in a small island airport. the dog was more effective and cheaper then a security guard at deterring thieves from stealing their equipment/tools.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwa View Post
... if you really want him to be effective cut his vocal chords
the barking reduces the lawsuits.

Advertisement