Silence After Giving Quotes. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Silence After Giving Quotes.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
test

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 878

Silence After Giving Quotes.

A lot of people dont respond back to my quotes. Price shopping, just wanted a number, or sticker shock?
Any thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 01:36 AM   #2
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Silence After Giving Quotes.

Do you follow up?

Advertisement

deter (05-19-2015), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 03:56 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

get a hair cut
The Following User Says Thank You to pappagor For This Useful Post:
CO762 (05-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 04:38 AM   #4
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,368

You've got to sell jobs, not bid them. Bidding is a race to the bottom and will take your business nowhere.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (05-19-2015), AmeliaP (05-21-2015), CO762 (05-19-2015), CompleteW&D (06-02-2015), KAP (05-19-2015), Spencer (05-19-2015), sycamorebob (05-27-2015), wallmaxx (05-22-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:39 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,802

I include a cover letter with all quotes / estimates. I use it to explain about insurance coverage, workers comp coverage, being registered in our county and what the customer can expect from my company.

I think it helps but still there are times of silence, some people just want the lowest price.

I think my style works for me, I am not a salesman, besides if I gave them a sales pitch in person and they said "ok when can you start " I would then have to explain they have to wait. Hmm that doesn't seem to work too well I think.

I think rather than wondering why the silence ask yourself what is your rate of securing jobs vs estimates out? That may reassure you that what you are doing is working or room to improve.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

You should be delivering your quotes in person. Gives you a chance to overcome objections.
66 Shelby (05-19-2015), AmeliaP (05-21-2015), CarpenterSFO (05-19-2015), illbuildit.dd (05-19-2015), J L (05-19-2015), KAP (05-19-2015), Kowboy (05-19-2015), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-19-2015), pinwheel (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,728

I've never understood the concept of "phoning it in" and expecting results... if you don't have a price list and the ability to quote something while you are at the customers house and have to go back to prepare a proposal, why in the world would you just mail it to them? YOU are familiar with your contract because you work with it all the time... they aren't... one of the reasons to meet with them is to go over the details and remove the anxiety of them trying to decipher your contract other than looking at the bottom number and CLOSE THE DEAL and remove them from the market...

I don't understand the concept of going through all that effort to just mail it to them and hope for the best... if you are going to close the deal, you have to have an appointment anyway, so why would you not MEET with them to go over the proposal and INCREASE your close rate... if they have questions/concerns/objections THIS is the time to address that and give them a sense of comfort and make the process easy for them to decide to use YOU...

People will sit on average 2-3 appointments... who wants to spend all that time doing that? You're only meeting with them on average two times, can you imagine them having to do that with MULTIPLE contractors? You want to cover all the bases and make it easy so they don't have to do that...

Last edited by KAP; 05-19-2015 at 06:27 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (05-19-2015), MTN REMODEL LLC (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #8
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,368

So what, send a follow up email if you want to test the waters.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Anybody can do this - just watch a few shows on HGTV.

Homeowners can only see the surface - the shiny stuff and the price tag.

I compare it to a body of water, a lake.

Sure most look the same on top but what about what lies beneath? Is there a strong ecosystem underneath the surface for that lake to thrive? For the fish to be strong?

Sure there's a couple lakes that are pretty obvious they are doomed, which would be the complete hacks out there in comparison.

If the homeowner doesn't understand that there's systems and procedures in place by your company to ensure a long life span for completed project - everything looks the same to them.

They won't understand the value they are getting with you even if your proposal is a few dollars more.

Once they understand - which is YOUR job to explain - then price is not an issue anymore.

If price happens to still be the deciding factor then most likely those aren't the homeowner you want to work for anyways.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 15,295

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
I've never understood the concept of "phoning it in" and expecting results... if you don't have a price list and the ability to quote something while you are at the customers house and have to go back to prepare a proposal, why in the world would you just mail it to them? YOU are familiar with your contract because you work with it all the time... they aren't... one of the reasons to meet with them is to go over the details and remove the anxiety of them trying to decipher your contract other than looking at the bottom number and CLOSE THE DEAL and remove them from the market...

I don't understand the concept of going through all that effort to just mail it to them and hope for the best... if you are going to close the deal, you have to have an appointment anyway, so why would you not MEET with them to go over the proposal and INCREASE your close rate... if they have questions/concerns/objections THIS is the time to address that and give them a sense of comfort and make the process easy for them to decide to use YOU...

People will sit on average 2-3 appointments... who wants to spend all that time doing that? You're only meeting with them on average two times, can you imagine them having to do that with MULTIPLE contractors? You want to cover all the bases and make it easy so they don't have to do that...

How can I have a price list of custom one of a kind stuff, usually that I've never made before?
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I don't get how people have time to deliver quotes in person. I'm up at 6am and work till 6-7pm most nights and weekends I'm doing work on my own place and ain't using that time to run around.

I struggle to even find time to do the quotes let alone deliver them in person. This week I have priced 5 jobs and it's been hard enough just locking in time with customer to meet with them then try and meet again to give the quote.
cedarboarder (05-22-2015), EMINNYS (06-02-2015), jocobe (05-22-2015), MattK (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 740

Interesting topic. When I was beyond slammed about 6 months ago, I started emailing/mailing quotes out as a way to save the time of doing a second meeting. The above scenario is exactly what I received. People would just not reply and I would never hear a word from them. Basically I was trying to get out of actually selling the job and my close rate suffered terribly.

Now, I am much more choosy about which jobs i actually work up a proposal for. If it's a job that fits my parameters I do an initial meeting with the customer. I then work up a proposal package. Then, i hand deliver the proposal to the customer. If they want to say no they have to do it to my face so I can address any issues with them and begin selling my company on why they should go with us.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BradingCon For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (05-19-2015), brhokel606 (05-19-2015), CarpenterSFO (05-19-2015), JAH (05-19-2015), KAP (05-19-2015), Kowboy (05-19-2015), Spencer (05-19-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 284

I try to get some info when I'm meeting with them...what time frame you are looking at....when you plan to approve an estimate, etc.

I look at it this way...I took whatever time it took to create a professional and fair estimate and I expect some courtesy in return....like letting me know where everything stands after a reasonable amount of time.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,669

If you're shopping at K Mart and find something priced $5 higher than the same thing at Walmart, do you go to the store manager and tell him you're going to buy elsewhere and why?

It's just the nature of business. A potential client owes you nothing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (05-19-2015), pinwheel (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
How can I have a price list of custom one of a kind stuff, usually that I've never made before?
I believe you you misread his post. There's an "if".
Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #16
Radical Basement Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
If you're shopping at K Mart and find something priced $5 higher than the same thing at Walmart, do you go to the store manager and tell him you're going to buy elsewhere and why?

It's just the nature of business. A potential client owes you nothing.
I don't view it that way. If I prepared an estimate, I think they owe me a simple yes or no and why or why not.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #17
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
I don't view it that way. If I prepared an estimate, I think they owe me a simple yes or no and why or why not.
That's small town thinking. We live in an increasingly NYC sort of world.

You want an answer, you need to go get it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (05-19-2015), CarpenterSFO (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Also the times I have hand delivered a quote they never decide then and there if they are getting me to do it. It's always an answer like "let us compare the quotes" "thankyou you will hear from us soon" "we will get back to you" etc

I have hardly any problems with email quotes though. I would say out of the last 20 jobs I have quoted only one didn't get back to me via email and she was the only one who didn't get me to do the work. Kind of knew this would happen though as its not the kind of neighborhood I normally work in and thru wanted the cheapest and lowest quality everything. When I chased her up she said my price was 3x what she wanted to spend yet material alone was more than her budget. What pisses me off though is the ones that tell you there is not budget then you get a reply on email of that's way over their budget! Would rather get them replys by email than in person.
eastend (05-19-2015), MattK (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
Radical Basement Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
That's small town thinking. We live in an increasingly NYC sort of world.

You want an answer, you need to go get it.
I still live in a small town.

I do get answers...I call them and ask them what's up if they don't call me first.

I hate loose ends.
jocobe (05-22-2015), Tinstaafl (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Residential construction
Rewards Points: 311

I find that many times people are using you to make sure their already chosen contractor is in line, or being honest about something. Free estimates are many times free questions answered. Sometimes you can tell when it's happening.

Advertisement

Last edited by BAREIN; 05-19-2015 at 09:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAREIN For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (05-25-2015), eastend (05-19-2015)