Shop Talk - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Shop Talk

Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 5,232

Shop Talk

I'm in the process of buying a property. It has a shop but no house. You can see where my priorities are! Perfect spot for me to build for myself though.

Who has a shop at home and who rents or owns something separate? I'm thrilled with the idea of walking to the shop and finally having space to properly store tools, extra job materials, and maybe finally get back into real woodworking.

I'd love to see everyone's setups, and hear about what you like, what you'd have done different, etc.

Currently I fill a 400 square foot garage, and will sometimes convert it into a paint booth, but it's way too cramped.

New property has a 32x48 shop with 16'6 ceilings. Currently there is 8' wide mezzanine on 2 sides. I may up that to 3 sides and I'll have a middle work area of 16x40 with the full ceiling height.

It's stick built and insulated. Oil fired furnace, not sure if it works.

First order of business, put in about 150,000 lumens of LED lighting. Seems like LED is down enough in price to make it worth it now.

Second is probably install a mini-split heat pump for efficient heat, and retire the oil furnace, freeing up some space.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (12-27-2017), hdavis (12-27-2017), Jaws (12-26-2017), KAP (01-01-2018), ScipioAfricanus (12-26-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 724

Re: Shop Talk

I have a barn at my house that I will have tools in like a table saw, chop saw and welder, personal toll trailer and tractor but I personally don't want my business run from my home... My wife told me that when we got married. LOL. She knew I was going to be a contractor and said no way to the shop/trucks/scaffolds/material/hands at her home lmao

My dad and I have a place outside of town about 4 miles, there are three houses and a 5000 square foot shop on it. We rent the three houses out and use the shop for our cabinets and to keep our stuff in. It was originally 1500 square feet, he built it when I was in high school and we have added onto it for time since I went to work with him and partnered up on it

It is nice to have to leave the house to go to work and be able to differentiate the two, but the result is I don't keep the shop up nearly as good as I would if it was at my personal home and I have to go 30 minutes to work every day just like any Joe Blow when I could just be walking out of my house and going 50 yards or so. LOL

I did put it in office on my house at my wife's request to be at home more and it is awesome. I do not have an issue differentiating when I'm working and when I'm not

Advertisement

John

Last edited by Jaws; 12-26-2017 at 06:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Golden view (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,192

I have 8k sqft. It's still not enough. Lol.

I will tell you the best thing you can do if you want to get back into woodworking. Install a rotary phase converter. (Rpc).

3phase equipment is cheaper, better and will last basically forever.

Material storage sucks up space, I currently have about 20k bf of lumber sitting in my shop.

Get a forklift.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Golden view (12-26-2017), Jaws (12-26-2017), overanalyze (12-26-2017), pinwheel (12-27-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-27-2017)

Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
edward trowelhands

I'm hoping the lack of space will force me to not hoard. I mean I've done well with what I have. Even building homes (on a small scale) in Alaska I only had 700sf. Also hoping having it on site will force me to keep organized. If I need 5 or 8k square feet, I better be paying taxes on a quarter mil.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I'm hoping the lack of space will force me to not hoard. I mean I've done well with what I have. Even building homes (on a small scale) in Alaska I only had 700sf. Also hoping having it on site will force me to keep organized. If I need 5 or 8k square feet, I better be paying taxes on a quarter mil.
3 moulders, plus lumber, plus millwork stuff takes up 5500. Machinery rebuilding, repair and storage uses the other 2500. Plus full bath an office.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
I have 8k sqft. It's still not enough. Lol.

I will tell you the best thing you can do if you want to get back into woodworking. Install a rotary phase converter. (Rpc).

3phase equipment is cheaper, better and will last basically forever.

Material storage sucks up space, I currently have about 20k bf of lumber sitting in my shop.

Get a forklift.

I've been meaning to bring this up somewhere, do you know anything about digital phase converters like these: http://www.phaseperfect.com/p/t/specifications

or

http://www.gohz.com/10-hp-vfd-single...hase-converter
Old 12-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
3 moulders, plus lumber, plus millwork stuff takes up 5500. Machinery rebuilding, repair and storage uses the other 2500. Plus full bath an office.

That would be a fun shop to run, but not really my interest. It would be nice to have space for a real TS, a small paint booth, and some good work areas.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
I like Green things

Quote:
I've been meaning to bring this up somewhere, do you know anything about digital phase converters like these: http://www.phaseperfect.com/p/t/specifications

or

The phase perfect are suppose to be as close as you can get to real pole power. Guys that have stuff with sensitive electronics seem to always use them.

Vfds are almost dirt cheap and I have set numerous customers up with one on a machine so they could run the 3phase of single phase.

I got by for years with a 15hp rpc, control panel was solid state and made by a local company, motor was used surplus (about 800 total in motor, panel, disconnects, wire to hook it up) fed it to a MLO 3phase panel with 10 breakers then out to my stuff.

Now I have 1600 amps of 480/277Y

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Golden view (12-26-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:

or

The phase perfect's are the way to go. We currently have 1 of the older model phase perfect that powers the CNC's and air compressor and 2 roto phase converters for everything else.

And ironically, if they would have been open today, a second phase perfect would have been ordered today to replace the roto phase converters. Just got a new sander today and the roto converters won't start it which was quite the surprise since they could start the old, same sized machine.
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.C. For This Useful Post:
Golden view (12-26-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 262

There is an old thread about this somewhere...

IMO, a lot of people make the mistake of storing excess material horizontally, with high ceilings most can go vertical.

I've never met the public or sub, employees either at my house or shop. If I had to do that, I'd want a seperate place for it, even if it's just renting a conference room by the hour.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Golden view (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

A RPC would be my choice..

Old 12-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #12
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
There is an old thread about this somewhere...

IMO, a lot of people make the mistake of storing excess material horizontally, with high ceilings most can go vertical.

I've never met the public or sub, employees either at my house or shop. If I had to do that, I'd want a seperate place for it, even if it's just renting a conference room by the hour.
I am not storing bunks of lumber on their end. Lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-27-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 5,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineMD View Post
I built mine

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Old 01-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 262

FWIW, if you want to cut long material, and don't want to keep that much space open, line your saw up with a window. Not good in bad weather, but it works.

Miter saw normally would go along one wall, there isn't as much benefit to having it on wheels as a TS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Golden view (01-01-2018), sparehair (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #15
edward trowelhands

Reviving thread. The property I was trying to buy fell through but I found a better property and closed yesterday. It also has a shop. Not as good, but I will work on it.

34x40 inside with a 34x12 covered area outside. 13'6 to bottom of trusses and 19'6 or so to peak. 3 12' high OH doors.

I plan to insulate, heat and light it much better. I'd like to up the floor square footage by about 50% with a mezzanine.

I'm struggling with mezzanine ideas with the height of the trusses. There are just two doubled trusses running the 34' dimension, not including the gable walls. I could do a low mezzanine across the back over work bench areas. 7' headroom under and 6' over (at truss). Then step up to 10' under on the right 13' space between trusses. Very crude rendering attached.

I'd even consider taking out a section of all the doors to make them 10' high, installing an 11' ceiling over the entire space and just having a cold attic where I had to hop two trusses to store things up there.

Any better ideas? What's a good minimum ceiling height? 10' lets me handle sheet goods with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
Shop talk-3d.jpg   Shop talk-20180309_132925.jpg   Shop talk-20180309_151233.jpg  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
asevereid (03-10-2018), Bull Trout (03-11-2018), Deckhead (03-11-2018), JAH (03-11-2018), Jaws (03-11-2018), KAP (03-10-2018), Rio (03-11-2018), Robie (03-10-2018), sparehair (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2

We have 10' ceilings in the main shop area and for the most part, it's adequate. However, every once in a while we'll build something that doesn't quite fit and it can really limit your options on dust collectors. I'd consider 10' ceilings to be the bare minimum in the shop area.
I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
The Following User Says Thank You to J.C. For This Useful Post:
Golden view (03-10-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #17
edward trowelhands

Starting to lean towards running a 12-16' wide mezzanine parallel to the ridge, 40' long at 11-12' high. Walking up there, I'd have to hop over the two truss bottom chords which would be 2-3' high.

Downstairs would have 11-12' of headroom with more down the front and back. Upstairs would have ~8' headroom down the middle. I wouldn't be limiting my ability to drive something tall in. I'd have 480-640sf of usable storage for items I seldom access.

I can do it with just two posts and 2 16" LVLs running the 34' dimension front to back. Overall capacity with a beam calc, 50PSF, limited by the posts (if I up the bearing to 12" I double capacity)

I'd also have a manageable ceiling height to hang things from, and I could run an extra beam between the posts in the center bay and mount a hoist with plenty of capacity.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #18
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,142

I have 10'3" ceilings because that's what the guy had at the time that he built it . It's actually kind of nice though because now 10' lumber is pretty easy to move around. I use the area over my bathroom as a mezzanine to store wood and other things like my wet saw that doesn't get used very often.

I'm torn on 16' ceilings. Get lots of benefits but also, need that much more lighting and changing anything that high is a pain in the balls and is that much more air to move to get any circulation.
Golden view (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #19
Artist and not a curator

The PIA part about having a shop at your house is when clients want to meet at the shop now they're meeting at your house, which I'm not too keen on. The nice part is, you can take care of stuff whenever you feel like it. I'm switching some of the lights now on Sunday because Mama bear took the kids to my inlaws - so, why not it's 100' away.
Golden view (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #20
Artist and not a curator

This I how far away work is.

The storage on top of my bathroom.

And my incredibly messy and never worked on office since I moved in... Except the A/C which was high priority . Which now doubles as a guest area or my "I'm a jackass room"
Attached Thumbnails
Shop talk-img_20180311_133103.jpg   Shop talk-img_20180311_132922.jpg   Shop talk-img_20180311_133221.jpg  

Advertisement

Golden view (03-11-2018)