Shipping Container Homes

Old 12-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Fencer
Rewards Points: 46

Shipping Container Homes

Looks nice. What do you think?

source

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 152

Re: Shipping Container Homes

There are better ways to get the design without using containers.

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Fencer
Rewards Points: 46

Shipping containers have hurricane and earthquake resistance. Someone loves this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Designer/Contractor

Rewards Points: 76

Where is the container?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
rrk (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,540

might as well say it was made out of Dixie cups since you can't see the containers.

I always wondered how container houses met the insulation code.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Joasis (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
Shipping containers have hurricane and earthquake resistance. Someone loves this.
The problem is pretty simple: Containers limit sizes....and when you start chopping them up, then you lose the inherent strength of the box, plus the fact that insulating them and finishing them presents more challenges.

My point was not to say it is dumb, but a lot of cool ideas lose practical application when you factor in costs. You can fabricate steel framed cubes and get sizing you desire, and cost less then rehabbing containers.

Consider the cost per square foot: 320 square feet that will cost $5,000 for a new or one trip container. $16 a sq/ft. And you don't have a lot of leeway with design...limited by height and width, plus when you stack them, you have issues getting plumbing past and access to the space between the floor and roof of the one below. See what I mean?

I love containers, and I think they have a place...sure do...but when you start on cool home designs, a container will limit you...and no one likes to build twice. The current craze is to build "barndominiums"....metal building homes.....why build a shell and then build a home within a shell?

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 12-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
The problem is pretty simple: Containers limit sizes....and when you start chopping them up, then you lose the inherent strength of the box, plus the fact that insulating them and finishing them presents more challenges.

My point was not to say it is dumb, but a lot of cool ideas lose practical application when you factor in costs. You can fabricate steel framed cubes and get sizing you desire, and cost less then rehabbing containers.

Consider the cost per square foot: 320 square feet that will cost $5,000 for a new or one trip container. $16 a sq/ft. And you don't have a lot of leeway with design...limited by height and width, plus when you stack them, you have issues getting plumbing past and access to the space between the floor and roof of the one below. See what I mean?

I love containers, and I think they have a place...sure do...but when you start on cool home designs, a container will limit you...and no one likes to build twice. The current craze is to build "barndominiums"....metal building homes.....why build a shell and then build a home within a shell?
One of the big draws to barndiminiums in my area, at least for now, is that they are taxed as a metal building and not a home

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

To me it seems the container homes fit more along with tiny homes. 2 maybe three containers max. Anything larger and regular framing seems easier to work with. Not all housing needs mass amount of insulation. Some climates are quiet pleasant.

I have been trying to convince the wife we could buy a nice piece of land, put a BIG shop on it, then build a really nice apartment inside with a walk out deck, sliding glass doors, many windows, etc. She ain't having none of it. Barndiminiums are not in my future *sigh*
Old 12-20-2018, 02:16 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,435

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post
One of the big draws to barndiminiums in my area, at least for now, is that they are taxed as a metal building and not a home

How does that work? What is the difference in taxation rate (%) vs traditional?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
How does that work? What is the difference in taxation rate (%) vs traditional?
The rate is the same. The valuation that is different.

The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
rescraft (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 938

I've got an 11'6" x 20' x 10' tall prefab concrete equipment shelter you can have for free.

Concrete walls, floor, roof. 1 phase, 120/240V electrical gear. Wired with xfer switch and 4 pole generator plug. Complete with lighting, receptacles, keypad locked door. Includes (2) 5T wall mount HVAC units with lead-lag controller.

You just need to move it. Weight is about 50,000 LBS. Lifting lugs are missing. Located inside a fenced in compound surrounded by a muddy farmers field.

Any takers? Consider it a foray into containers.

Tried uploading pictures but no dice. Says a "token is missing"
Old 12-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 958

One of the only container buildings that I've seen that makes sense is the Freitag store in Zurich. The company makes bags out of used truck tarps so the style makes sense. The wa they built it makes sense too. Keep the containers as containers and connect them as containers. The stairs are bolted to the outside and they didn't cut up all the walls everywhere but just replaced the doors with glass.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
Joasis (12-23-2018), Rio (12-25-2018)