Send Me Your Contract So I Can... - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Send Me Your Contract So I Can...

Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4

Send Me Your Contract So I Can...

Went and looked at a kitchen a couple weeks ago ok budget, crazy type AAA client. Couple red flags went up during the meeting so I decide to see where she goes with everything, called me last week to say she wants me to email my contract to her so she can add stuff I tell her contract is fine you can either sign it or not, she adds well we both have to agree to it, I tell her no less than 4 times that she should send me the changes and I will look at them. So needless to say I left a message declining the job. Never had anyone ask to re-write my contract before and the best part is she continued to tell me how easy it will be to email it, I asked her what are the changes and she responds oh I dont have them in front of me, I reply let me guess penalties and interest for late finish etc....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

Re: Send Me Your Contract So I Can...

Good move Kev,

i had a e-mail a few weeks ago, a potential client who has a rental property by the local college here, sends me pictures of the job and asks me please give me a price asap!

so i went out there and sent him my pic and recomendations, to fix a soffit facia. i fax him a standard proposal with my terms and give him a good price!

he emails me back and tells me i must sighn his contract which basically said that i was responsible for the house,neighbors house and all i can expect even if there is damage beyond was the price we agreed!!

i e-mailed him back and respectfully withdrew my proposal, Now he,s e-mailing me 3 times a day!

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
solar guy

Trade: solar contracting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Good for both of you for standing up to the PITA Customer. You both recognized the red flags and bailed out in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Send me a copy of your last checking/savings account statement so I can make sure you have the money to pay me, then I will fax my contract right over mam.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rbsremodeling For This Useful Post:
greg24k (06-03-2009), kevjob (06-03-2009), Magnettica (06-03-2009), naptown CR (06-03-2009), WarnerConstInc. (06-03-2009)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Finished /Remod/Decks/ done it all /whatever pays
Rewards Points: 306

Ive never felt any remorse from passing on jobs I got "that funny feeling" from.
I have regretted taking them though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OW! My thumb For This Useful Post:
Five Star (06-03-2009), greg24k (06-03-2009)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Fan of Bodger
Rewards Points: 250

I am rsponsible for my clients house, neighbors house, and any damage I do on all my jobs whether I sign anything or not. Had the police department remind me of it last week when I pulled a shingle truck on to the shared driveway.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OW! My thumb View Post
Ive never felt any remorse from passing on jobs I got "that funny feeling" from.
I have regretted taking them though.
these people have nerve! a simple job i could of been in and out in a few hours, i let it pass!

OHH and he wanted me to warranty the aluiminum facia too!...

i told him i give the license plate warranty, once you cant see my plates you warranty is over!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Five Star For This Useful Post:
naptown CR (06-03-2009)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,910

Ask to have the 'changes' sent to you so you can re-write the contract yourself.

If you don't like them, don't change it. If you're OK with them, put them in and adjust your price accordingly.

Otherwise, have her present them to you as a change order. If you don't like them, don't sign them.

For some odd reason, it sounds like she thinks you're legally obliged to change the contract.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Reminds me of a couple I had last year. They wanted a Koi pond w/ waterfall in the back yard and some paver flower beds in the front yard, a deck, and a bunch of other stuff. Refused to sign the contract and refused my payment terms. Refused to fill out a credit app with Deere. Wanted me to install everything then pay me cash when I was done, with nothing in writing.

Yeah right.

They called, emailed, threatened a lawsuit, etc. if I didn't come start the project immediately on their terms. Their argument was that the $300 I charged to design the project is enough money to start a $60,000 landscape renovation.

Nice part was they did pay me $300 to design everything and I was able to sell the job a few weeks later to another house in the same sub division.

People are weird.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter

If ya cave Kevin...
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky;692939[B
]Ask to have the 'changes' sent to you so you can re-write the contract yourself. [/B]

If you don't like them, don't change it. If you're OK with them, put them in and adjust your price accordingly.

Otherwise, have her present them to you as a change order. If you don't like them, don't sign them.

For some odd reason, it sounds like she thinks you're legally obliged to change the contract.

If he did this it would start a bad precedent on his part.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4

Yeah no chance of anything she wants to get in there, she also said that my attorney would appreciate the changes.

Too many red flags for me in the 1st 20 mins, I have work so let someone else re-write their contract.

JF can't read it!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
Pro

I just got some new graphics software this afternoon Kevin, I grabbed your logo and putzed around with it...started off with a very small jpeg (from your avatar), and that's all I can spit out, online anyways.

J
Old 06-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
Pro

p.s. you probably already know how I feel about that bs...keep doin' what you're doin'

J

Advertisement