Seeking Advice On Career Move. Question Related To Trades Education. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Seeking Advice On Career Move. Question Related To Trades Education.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Trade: building maintenance
Rewards Points: 10

Seeking Advice On Career Move. Question Related To Trades Education.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask or not, but I figure it's worth a shot. I have been working building maintenance for nearly 9 years. I have taken 3 continuing education style courses in electrical work and woodworking. But I do not have a journey worker's card in a trade. In 6 months, I am moving to New Orleans (from Virginia), and I am worried about not finding a job. I was wondering if you had any tips or advice on what I could do (hopefully in the short term) to make myself more attractive to employers on my resume. I am looking for any job in the skills trades.

Alternatively, do you know what trades have either accelerated programs, or shorter course work towards the goal of becoming a licensed journey worker? Any recommended self-guided/online courses? I know the JATC program for electricians is 5 years, but Virginia's state requirements for taking the journey workers exam is less (not sure about Louisiana). Spending 5 years as an apprentice, starting at the age of 30, does not sound that appealing. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like if I had a journey workers card, my employment options would be greater than if I didn't. And I feel like because I have 9 years work experience in general maintenance, and a good base knowledge in a number of trades, I can really go in any direction. And in maybe as short as a year or 2, by taking some courses at a local technical school or online, and studying hard, be able to obtain certification in a trade. Is this realistic? And to repeat, are there any trades that take less time to complete than others, or any specific programs of study or institutions that may meet my needs?

Thanks for your help.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

Trade: Handyman electrician

Re: Seeking Advice On Career Move. Question Related To Trades Education.

age is no matter n in the end it's worth it. I did it, the whole five year plan and can work anywhere in the world now. so go for it

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: water restoration
Rewards Points: 552

If your looking at putting time into studying and becoming proficient at something you may want to look more at what you would like to do rather than what can I do the soonest.

If you decide to stay and spend the next 30 years doing something do you want it to be something you enjoy doing or the thing you did because it was the most convenient?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbryan For This Useful Post:
fjn (05-31-2012), Freddiellc (05-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #4

Trade: Handyman electrician

that is the other fact that you must consider. take a deep breath and ask yourself what is it that you can do, while enjoying your life. to be the master of none, is a foolish decision in a world filled with jacks of all trades. be the best and show you put your heart into what you love most.