Secret Safe. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Secret Safe.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Secret Safe.

I am excited, I get tired of all the same stuff all the time so something that pushes my creativity is always fun. With that said I could use any ideas that some of you may have to accomplish this as seamlessly as possible. Its going in a closet in an already built out center section that I am going to close in around the safe. For access I am going to use a hinged mirror either just the mirror will hinge out of the frame or the whole mirror/frame will be hinged. Its a big safe and has they upped the size since we started talking so the mirror will be around 30" wide and 6' tall. The mirror is only access for the safe door not enter, ie the safe will only have a few inches of space around it. I am thinking of making a 2x4 frame, hinging that and attaching the mirror to 3/4 plywood and attaching that the 2x4 frame and using a magnet catch to hold it shut. The safe will sit on a base to bring the door up above the baseboard. Appreciate the help in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Secret Safe.

Having the mirror on the hinge will blend better with the room, then you can hide the hinges/opening behind the mirror.

I like the magnetic catch to open/close, I would've went with the cob-webbed candle stick on the wall myself

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Can I get an Amen?

Trade: Custom Woodworks
Rewards Points: 1,060

I'd fasten the mirror frame to the wall, and then hinge only the mirror itself.
or build a 2 pc mirror frame so you can hide the seams in a reveal or lip.

Doing it this way would keep folks from grabbing the mirror frame and discovering the secret.

No one reaches into the molding to try and open it, ppl will always grab the outside edge of the frame.

And instead of the standard magnet catches, use the "secret type"

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:1,s:0 like these
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Berk For This Useful Post:
Crawdad (12-01-2010), hailey (11-30-2010), On The Rock (11-30-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

PUT THE CANDLE BACK!!!!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,236

I was involved in a house with something similar, but it was where the lady of the house was going to have all her furs.

At the end of a huge walk-in closet (live-in was more like it!) was a dressing mirror. I had to put several lights above it so she could see her reflection like she was on a Hollywood stage.

The mirror was hinged on one side, and held back on the others with what I called catch-magnets..... you pressed lightly on the mirror and it would move in, release and the mirror would pop out (like glass stereo cabinets). If you tried to pull on the mirror, it would take quite a bit of force to overcome the magnets.

Her fur collection (I saw at least 20 in there one day) was almost hidden in plain sight.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

i did this same thing about 5 years ago. my method was simple, cheap, and anyone that was privy was blown away. In simple terms: you take a standard interior door, attach another door to it hinged on the opposite side, set them in the casing flush with wall, attach wardrobe mirror. it will open accordion style and there you have it
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
And instead of the standard magnet catches, use the "secret type"

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:1,s:0 like these
Man, that product looks like it ROCKS. What a great idea! That one's definitely going in the mental tool box to be used later. Thanks, Aaron....
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Can I get an Amen?

Trade: Custom Woodworks
Rewards Points: 1,060

u got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Rock View Post
Man, that product looks like it ROCKS. What a great idea! That one's definitely going in the mental tool box to be used later. Thanks, Aaron....
Old 11-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 4,482

Here is One a did for a Client 2yrs ago, the Mirror is Removable if it gets Broken, It has a unique lock to stop any one from opening it just by pulling on it.

This is a safe room and has a Phone, Gun safe, and Lights that cannot be seen from the other side, The next one I do I am thinking about using a 2 way mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Secret safe.-dsc02077.jpg  
Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter

I've done a couple of these.

First of all, will the floor framing take the weight? Last one I did I had to beef up the framing.

I've used sos hinges, much stronger than cabinet hinges.

The magnetic catches are called push catches.

I wouldn't use 2x4 for the framing, it will warp. I would use strand studs, or make the entire structure from 3/4" plywood. Sometimes I'll even make my own studs to the size I need out of plywood.

One source for all this hardware is Lee Valley.

Just some thoughts.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman View Post
I've done a couple of these.

First of all, will the floor framing take the weight? Last one I did I had to beef up the framing.

I've used sos hinges, much stronger than cabinet hinges.

The magnetic catches are called push catches.

I wouldn't use 2x4 for the framing, it will warp. I would use strand studs, or make the entire structure from 3/4" plywood. Sometimes I'll even make my own studs to the size I need out of plywood.

One source for all this hardware is Lee Valley.

Just some thoughts.

Can you post a kink to the sos Hinges?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Just google 'sos hinge' to find a supplier near you. There's lots.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 240

they're actually spelled Soss... Great little hinges, I get 'em from Lee Valley too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Splinter For This Useful Post:
katoman (11-30-2010), Snobnd (11-30-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #14

Trade: Building Inspector
Rewards Points: 10

Snobnd:
I would like to make certain that you are familiar with the way so called two way mirrors function. The side of the mirror with the highest light intensity is the side that will be reflective. So in a situation in which people would mount one of those mirrors in say, a front door, it would become reversed at night unless they had an outside light in close proximity to the mirror. It follows then that someone hiding in a 'safe' room would need to have the mirror on the door brightly lighted from the outside of the hiding place.
One of my customers years ago had one of those huge upright pianos like the ones Laurel and Hardy were always moving around in their movies. He decided to remove the strings, plate, and action and hide his gun collection inside the case which had a locking fall board. Few thieves would ever think to look in a piano!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
Pro

I do know about the 2 way Mirror....I....ah Seen one durning a Tour of a........Police station Ya Thats the Ticket

But realy I would put in a Small door that One could turn off the Light in the Secret room and Look out.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Soss hinges are really nice looking! I will be ordering some just to have for sure as well as the magnetic secret latch. This is going on a slab so weight is not an issue. I really wanted to sheetrock the inside of the safe cavity with 5/8" but due to the size of it I am building the walls around the safe and there wont be enough room to get in to do anything. I am doing the tear out and building the base this friday and once the installer gets the safe in we will start on the enclosure. I will update with pictures when we get it finished up. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorHIP View Post
I really wanted to sheetrock the inside of the safe cavity with 5/8" but due to the size of it I am building the walls around the safe and there wont be enough room to get in to do anything.
SuperiorHIP, you can still drywall that niche. Between a pallet jack, 2 Gorilla bars (or other pinch bar with a greater than 90 degree hook on it), and 4 pieces of 3/4" black pipe a little wider than the safe (or less than the width of the safe if you are real careful), you can get almost any safe into almost alcove, if the concrete is smooth enough and you have at least 2 other able bodied guys to help. Keep at least 3 pipes under the safe while you are rolling it by rotating the 4th pipe in front of the safe as you go.

And keep Pythagorean's Theorem close at hand when you get in the niche, because you'll have to keep the safe far enough from the back wall to tip it back enough to sneak the pipe out. Then you'll need everyone to get low against the safe to push it the last couple inches (which is why I mentioned the smoothness of the concrete). You may have to use a 16# or better sledge with 2x protective blocking if the concrete is too rough or your feet have no bracing. 'Course if it's that rough, you prolly won't be able to roll it with the pipe....

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by On The Rock; 12-01-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

A good use for a $1 garage sale breaker box. I just happened to have dead space in one of my walls to convert to a secret gun safe. It is 2'x2'x5'H & keeps a loaded gun only 20' from the front door, just in case.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Secret safe.-img_0001a.jpg   Secret safe.-img_0002a.jpg   Secret safe.-img_0003a.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to stp57 For This Useful Post:
Snobnd (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing

We have concealed a safe or two through out the years.

The greatest challenge I find is making the door not stand out. On our last project we used touch latch hinges as a method of opening the door and to prevent anyone from accidentialy opening the door we had a aircraft wire hooked up to a hinge that when pushed in (another room) the hinge fell and wedge the back side of the door so the touch latch hinges did not work.

It was a fun project.....

JW
Old 12-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #20
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp57 View Post
A good use for a $1 garage sale breaker box. I just happened to have dead space in one of my walls to convert to a secret gun safe. It is 2'x2'x5'H & keeps a loaded gun only 20' from the front door, just in case.
Steve
I can spot several violations in this install!

Advertisement

stp57 (12-01-2010)