Scissors Truss Installation In An Existing Roof. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Scissors Truss Installation In An Existing Roof.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Scissors Truss Installation In An Existing Roof.

I have a customer wanting to raise the ceiling in the garage. The garage backs up to a family room and the current truss system spans both the garage and family room.

Has anyone replaced the usual W truss with a scissors truss and done this without pulling the roof off? I should also mention the wall between the family room and garage is currently built to be a load bearing wall but the trusses are not putting much weight on that wall.

Current trusses are on 24 in centers. What do you think? Re-engineer the roof support or modify the current trusses?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Scissors Truss Installation In An Existing Roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyS View Post
I have a customer wanting to raise the ceiling in the garage. The garage backs up to a family room and the current truss system spans both the garage and family room.

Has anyone replaced the usual W truss with a scissors truss and done this without pulling the roof off? I should also mention the wall between the family room and garage is currently built to be a load bearing wall but the trusses are not putting much weight on that wall.

Current trusses are on 24 in centers. What do you think? Re-engineer the roof support or modify the current trusses?
I get an engineers design to modify the existing. We have a great engineer in this area to do that but finding an experienced engineer in other areas could be difficult... It's one of my favorite jobs but I can't find enough of it to keep busy.

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

If it for a client, wouldn't it be wise to get an engineer to draw up, and stamp structural changes?

That is wisdom.

Once, I needed to make a buck.
I built an I beam up in an attic, and improved support at each end of it to redistribute the load when a client HAD to have part of a bearing wall removed, for architectural design reasons.
I used plenty gussets and metal, based on my own thumbnail experience. It worked out well and I got paid.

I have no doubt I may be sued when the big one hits!

You did not mention enough details such as span and roof loading.
It's important.

How bad do you need the bucks!
r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

An engineering design is my next step. Just wanted to know if it was possible, or if the engineers tend to balk at truss mods.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

CYA, engr: even if you were doin this for your moma