Saudi Arabia - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Saudi Arabia

Old 01-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 168

Saudi Arabia

I'm getting ready to start a job for some brother's who are attending college here in Washington. Here's my question. Has anyone ever been questioned by our government after receiving a fairly large money transfer from the middle east? The family is Muslim, and as long as they're not a threat to my family or my country I don't have a problem doing the work. Just checking to see if anyone here has faced a similar situation. Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 898

Re: Saudi Arabia

No experience in that but I would guess that a signed contract will help in case you are asked about it.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting and Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 460

My now ex-wife worked in banking for years and while we were married they implemented ALL kinds of checks on funds coming from the Middle East. They even have some program they run everyone through every time they cash a check, make a deposit etc to verify if you are on the terrorist watch list or not.

If it were me I would tell them to send the transfer to the folks who are here and have them give me a check. Getting a transfer from someone in the Middle East COULD get you on a list these days. All it has to be is a friend of a friend of a friend and that last friend is on the list.. all the other friends are on it too.. Goobermeant ain't playing around on that spying deal right now. Especially after Paris...

Matthew 7: 13&14? The straight and narrow path might be wider if more people used it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut1968 View Post
My now ex-wife worked in banking for years and while we were married they implemented ALL kinds of checks on funds coming from the Middle East. They even have some program they run everyone through every time they cash a check, make a deposit etc to verify if you are on the terrorist watch list or not.

If it were me I would tell them to send the transfer to the folks who are here and have them give me a check. Getting a transfer from someone in the Middle East COULD get you on a list these days. All it has to be is a friend of a friend of a friend and that last friend is on the list.. all the other friends are on it too.. Goobermeant ain't playing around on that spying deal right now. Especially after Paris...
Hell Lugnut, I'm probably on a list somewhere already. If I'm not...I'm doing something wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Lugnut1968 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting and Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 460

I hear ya there man.. there is a difference between the list most of us are probably on and the "this dude took money from the friend of a terrorist" list

Matthew 7: 13&14? The straight and narrow path might be wider if more people used it.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Sort of retired GC, residential and commercial
Rewards Points: 213

Ask your banker how best to handle the situation. A big bank will have experience. May be he has you fill out some paperwork in advance, especially if there will be more than one transfer. Remember, if they send the transfer today, you won't have your money for several days. If you figure out how to get interest on your "missing" money, let us know. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Whatever happens, don't let them overpay you and expect a refund. And if they start talking about Nigerian princes...RUN!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hell Lugnut, I'm probably on a list somewhere already. If I'm not...I'm doing something wrong.
It's actually amex, credits the next day. I do leave that to the bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie828 View Post
Ask your banker how best to handle the situation. A big bank will have experience. May be he has you fill out some paperwork in advance, especially if there will be more than one transfer. Remember, if they send the transfer today, you won't have your money for several days. If you figure out how to get interest on your "missing" money, let us know. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,546

Good only knows what the rules are after Dodd/Frank!

Last edited by Calidecks; 01-20-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 AM   #10
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

you may wish to consult your attorney in this situation.

Seriously.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

It's strange that their money is still in the middle east and they haven't opened an account here. I can see why it might raise suspicions. Just shave your beards and keep the AKs out of sight.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,108

how about opening an account just for these transfers?

I deal w/ an UAE family many moons ago and they had a local friend who helped with all the local items, such as making payments for the care of their family while in the states, which were made from the local account that was funded by the overseas account.

Advertisement