Room Addition Estimate - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Room Addition Estimate

Old 10-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General contracting
Rewards Points: 22

Room Addition Estimate

We do mainly repairs and basic Improvements for apartment complexes. We've bided and been awarded good projects such as fencing and roofing in some of these complexes.

I recieved a call from a customer about building a room addition. I'm seeking advise on how to approach the customer and putting an estimate together. Is there some user friendly software to help me put an estimate together? What about software for designing the addition?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 460

Re: Room Addition Estimate

Check out the app Addition Estimator for android and apple. Punch in the size you want and it spits out all your pricing and material list.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to TheConstruct For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 484

If you've never done a room addition before I wouldn't suggest using some internet sourced information. Way too many logistics and variables can and often are involved and you could easily end up spending your money to improve somebody elses home
greg24k (10-07-2018), griz (10-04-2018), Rio (10-06-2018), SouthonBeach (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,031

There’s so many factors of pricing an addition. The best advice is to break it down to each task that needs to be done.

ClearEstimates or Xactremodel can be used to get close but only you can calculate your exact cost that you need bid. They can be helpful in some ways but can screw you faster then you can blink.

If your not familiar with design software you should find a draftsman or architect to design it. Design software such as Sketchup or Chief Architect has a steep learning curve.
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthonBeach For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (10-12-2018)