Right Choice? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Right Choice?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Right Choice?

First post, been lurking the forums for a while and really enjoy the site.

I have a question and just want to see if I am being a total sap, or making the right choice... Here it goes.

I've been doing residential carpentry for 13 years. Came across a great opportunity with a new company and signed on 2 weeks ago. Including me, there's 5 of us on the job. All standard residential work everything's going fine. Realize about 2 days ago, the other 4 guys were coming back from lunch and are clearly taking "a smoke break" and I'm not talking about grandpa'a Lucky Strikes...had suspicions and they were finally confirmed in front of me.

Wife says go straight to the owner and express my concern, I say "thanks for the opportunity, things didn't work out"
I don't care what you do on your own time, but this is how I feed my family and it's not what I signed up for. Speak up and I'm the asshole when he doesn't fire his whole crew and I'm stuck working with these dudes. I have money in savings, not worried if it takes a month or so to find a new gig, but life's too short for me not to feel comfortable going to work each day. I assume it's an issue that's not going to change and I would just have to deal with it, and I absolutely refuse that.

Don't want to stir the pot, and it's not in my nature to throw them under the bus but I figure I move on now. I understand times are changing but it's not my style work environment. I plan to respectfully put my two weeks in tomorrow, with request of being done ASAP.

Any input?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 934

Re: Right Choice?

Welcome to CT.

I'll bet that Cheech and Chong and Cheech and Chong have been let go from other places for the same reason. It's worse to be guilty by association in some cases.

Tough call, but I would ask for a sit down with the boss and explain your concern.

Perhaps the boss can institute a "new" drug testing program.

It depends on the company dynamics and its good to hear that you have an out.

Advertisement

Last edited by rselectric1; 03-13-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Colorado?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkman For This Useful Post:
CO762 (03-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 26

If the boss ain't around enough to tell that his crew is smoking other than cigs, I can just imagine what else is or isn't happening on that job that is supposed to.

Sounds a great deal like a paperboy who don't give a rats arse about anything except collecting checks.

A face to face with the boss probably won't accomplish much but end up causing you grief.

Move on before your reputation goes up in smoke....
Jaws (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #5

Trade: framing
Rewards Points: 139

My story : I just started for a framing company one day forman left and boss is chasing jobs and bids .During lunch i ask "anyone want something im going to the store?" One reply "bring me a 40" and gives me money im like O_o naww i rather not buy that ... Im down for a drink after not at lunch....... Later that day i said a joke about happy hour, i stay after work the longest (i pick up my tools last even tho i live the farthest about an hour) boss goes "wana get a beer im buying" we go forman and I ... During the conversation i asked "ever drink on the job or let ur guys have one?" Boss "No maybe 30years ago not now ... Never did the other guys bring up beer again and i knew from his answer boss dint know if they did or the forman. If they ever brought beer i would go to the forman I would say dont drink or send them home (they wont listen but i wont stand for it)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
Colorado?
??? I've got the moderator tools, and your not even close. Why would you ask that?

Carry on.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,124

I would talk to the boss as though he already knows. He very well might if they are that open. Just say "We need to find a way to have a job sight with out workers under the influence right away, or I need to move on". Give the boss a chance to make it right and if the work atmosphere is unreasonable because they still smoke or because they know you talked to the boss, then move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #8

Trade: framing
Rewards Points: 139

So i would bring up a question with the boss like ...what due you think about legal pot and working ?.. or something then based on his answer make a decision on what to due or keep to my self
Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 17,318

I was in a similar situation when I was 18, not the same, but similar. I didnt handle in a way I would recommend, and I was running that crew a week before my nineteeenth birthday. I definitely never ratted anyone out.

Im no paperboy, but im not on every job all day, although im on every job everyday, or one of my partners is, whoever is running the job. I know whats going on. But if one of my men told me others were smoking weed on the job, it would never get back to the crew. Cant speak for your boss.

Cheif Joseph
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: repair and remodeling
Rewards Points: 510

If 80% of his workforce are smoking pot, the owner already knows about it and doesn't care. It's not your place to try to impose your morality on others. Either get used to it or find a new place to work.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 17,318

Morality my ass. Its a saftey issue, period. Work is not the place for weed or booze.

X2 on a different place to work though.

Cheif Joseph
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (03-13-2014), BenderBoy (03-14-2014), brickhook (03-16-2014), Calidecks (03-15-2014), CO762 (03-14-2014), Dmitry (04-04-2014), donerightwyo (03-15-2014), griz (03-13-2014), hdavis (03-14-2014), jlsconstruction (03-13-2014), JumboJack (03-14-2014), KAP (04-04-2014), m1911 (04-04-2014), mikeswoods (04-04-2014), Mrmac204 (03-16-2014), pinwheel (03-14-2014), Randy Bush (03-13-2014), wnc viking (03-15-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
Pro

Perhaps I must withdraw my comments above. It's based on two questions.
  1. As the new guy was the pothead crew in place some time prior to your arrival?
  2. How long have they been employed with this company?

Somehow i got the impression that you were ALL hired at the same time.

If the boss doesn't care, then it's time to move on. No 2 weeks notice required IMO. Just cite OSHA regulations for drug use allowed at the workplace and GO.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I quite the best job I ever had because of Booze and drugs, some of them way worse than pot, but me and my Forman were the only ones not smoking it up. After that I took a way less paying job, and ran into the same thing. 3 weeks and I was gone. ( and way less I mean like a 1/4 of what I was making before)

Then I got on with an amazing "craftsman".
He didn't like to be called a contractor. :laughing;
He turned me from a roofer into some what of a good carpenter. I still pick his brain, and swing by his shop for advice (work and personal) several times a year. After he hung it up I went out on my own. No point to mess around with druggies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
brickhook (03-16-2014), CO762 (03-14-2014), rselectric1 (03-13-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #14
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Nothing fires me up quite as much as some stoned hippie getting in my way all day. Those guys aren't there to make money, and will slow you down making yours.

After work, they can shoot heroin in their eyeballs for all I care.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

I'd ask the owner what his policy is on drugs. That will tell you and also, he might even ask, "why do you ask?".

I don't like to work with stoners because, well the safety issues and what I've said in the other section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post
??? I've got the moderator tools, and your not even close. Why would you ask that?
Carry on.
joke.....light up and lighten up.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtenn View Post
... I plan to respectfully put my two weeks in tomorrow, with request of being done ASAP.

Any input?
Good plan. I'd tell the guy exactly why - no beating about the bush asking him about his drug policy. I'd say, "Your guys are stoned and I won't work with them." Don't believe any stories about him cleaning up - as others have pointed out, he either knows about it or isn't paying any attention. It sucks; good luck moving on.
MTN REMODEL LLC (03-15-2014), pinwheel (03-14-2014), smalpierre (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
New Guy

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1
??? I've got the moderator tools, and your not even close. Why would you ask that? Carry on.
I ask because if it was in Colorado, with the new marijuana policy, it's technically legal. Not that it makes working around it fine,just as if they were drinking all day it would not be fine either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkman For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (03-15-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
Project Manager HFH..

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by steex View Post
If 80% of his workforce are smoking pot, the owner already knows about it and doesn't care. It's not your place to try to impose your morality on others. Either get used to it or find a new place to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkman View Post
I ask because if it was in Colorado, with the new marijuana policy, it's technically legal. Not that it makes working around it fine,just as if they were drinking all day it would not be fine either.
Bingo.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodel and new build Colorado @ 7651 FT
Rewards Points: 1,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
Good plan. I'd tell the guy exactly why - no beating about the bush asking him about his drug policy. I'd say, "Your guys are stoned and I won't work with them." Don't believe any stories about him cleaning up - as others have pointed out, he either knows about it or isn't paying any attention. It sucks; good luck moving on.
YEP ^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!

I happen to subscribe to "Live and let live philosophy" but/and if you are either uncomfortable or worried about safety, leave responsibly. And be honest, if the boss asks you, tell him.

Good luck.... I personnally think you made a smart decision.

Best
Old 03-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 94

I'm happy to say I had the honors to be part of a team hired to go into a company and fire about 60 employees for drugs and stealing. The company was a mess. I walked into the GC superintendents trailer and wala one of our guys was doing lines on his plan desk. He acted as if I wasn't cool if I said something. I was the lead and told him what you just did was the same as doing it right in front of the boss. Needless to say he was fired on the spot.

It was the next week we started handing out walking papers. I swear the whole company was like a prison, the workers acted like they were walking the yard. There was a total of about 75 guys and we brought in our own team and hired some others. Drugs and drinking on the job, becomes like a virus that runs through the whole company. It has to be treated as such too.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
KAP (04-04-2014), Mdwest (03-16-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (03-15-2014)