Reselling Items And Pro Discounts - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Reselling Items And Pro Discounts

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Member
 
jwatts's Avatar
 
Trade: c-27
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: califonia
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 82

Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Are unlicensed landscapers (gardeners) in CA allowed to resell items without a reseller's permit? And usually nurseries will give a discount to professionals, are we allowed to not pass on the discount to our customers?
jwatts is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ
 
griz's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ex-calif
Posts: 23,746
Rewards Points: 36

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Franchise Tax Board, CSLB & IRS are likely going to want to chat with you...

If your buying it tax exempt you need to charge tax & report it.

If your buying it & paying tax & re-selling items at profit you still need to charge tax and report to FTB.

Advertisement

__________________
SOME JOBS JUST AREN'T WORTH DOING:
griz is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (04-12-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
I'm a Mac
 
Chris Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: ICF Construction
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hog Town
Posts: 5,487
Rewards Points: 4,254

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


This is a perfect example of why you normally would invoice the customers for both materials and labor, one price, no breakdown. The minute your invoice shows a value for materials and a separate value for labor your are opening up a can of worms
__________________
Chris
Chris Johnson is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Johnson For This Useful Post:
PrestigeR&D (04-20-2014), tgeb (04-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Member
 
jwatts's Avatar
 
Trade: c-27
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: califonia
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 82

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
This is a perfect example of why you normally would invoice the customers for both materials and labor, one price, no breakdown. The minute your invoice shows a value for materials and a separate value for labor your are opening up a can of worms
So this raises a few more questions.

1) If you get audited, don't they look at your bank statement also to see that you aren't buying materials for jobs?

2) Do you have to have a separate bank account for your business, even if you are just a sole proprietor doing business as?

3) Don't they reward you for buying materials, ie: write-offs? I did my 2013 taxes (on turbotax) and almost finished without entering any of the stuff I purchased for customers, I owed back over $1000. I went in and entered my write-offs and actually got a few hundred back at the end, instead of owing. Mostly from fed and some from state. Am I missing something?
jwatts is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Member
 
jwatts's Avatar
 
Trade: c-27
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: califonia
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 82

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

If your buying it & paying tax & re-selling items at profit you still need to charge tax and report to FTB.
So if I'm buying something, not tax exempt, then I am paying taxes at the time of purchase. But then since I'm reselling for a profit, say 20%, how do I report this and pay this tax? Is this something you do when you file your taxes or is there some other special procedure?
jwatts is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Geometrist
 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,451
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
So this raises a few more questions.

1) If you get audited, don't they look at your bank statement also to see that you aren't buying materials for jobs?

2) Do you have to have a separate bank account for your business, even if you are just a sole proprietor doing business as?

3) Don't they reward you for buying materials, ie: write-offs? I did my 2013 taxes (on turbotax) and almost finished without entering any of the stuff I purchased for customers, I owed back over $1000. I went in and entered my write-offs and actually got a few hundred back at the end, instead of owing. Mostly from fed and some from state. Am I missing something?
Good gosh.
You are not "rewarded" for buying materials. It is considered a cost of doing business. How you could complete your tax return without your write offs is beyond my comprehension.
Warren is online now  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Member
 
jwatts's Avatar
 
Trade: c-27
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: califonia
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 82

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Good gosh.
You are not "rewarded" for buying materials. It is considered a cost of doing business. How you could complete your tax return without your write offs is beyond my comprehension.

Well as I said, I did include my write-offs and I was rewarded, over $1000. So why wouldn't anyone include that stuff in an invoice? Otherwise you get taxed on it as though it were labor! Again, am I missing something?
jwatts is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Geometrist
 
Warren's Avatar
 
Trade: framing/remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 10,451
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
Well as I said, I did include my write-offs and I was rewarded, over $1000. So why wouldn't anyone include that stuff in an invoice? Otherwise you get taxed on it as though it were labor! Again, am I missing something?
Where did you include these items on your tax return?

Is there a new line that says REWARDS?
Warren is online now  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Capra aegagrus
 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,060
Rewards Points: 14

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
So if I'm buying something, not tax exempt, then I am paying taxes at the time of purchase. But then since I'm reselling for a profit, say 20%, how do I report this and pay this tax? Is this something you do when you file your taxes or is there some other special procedure?
In either case, you need to be a registered business in your state, with a tax ID. Normally you would purchase materials tax exempt (since you are a reseller), sell them with your markup and collect sales tax on the entire price.

Details vary from state to state, but you would most likely be required to send those sales tax monies in at least quarterly.
Tinstaafl is online now  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus
 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,060
Rewards Points: 14

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
Well as I said, I did include my write-offs and I was rewarded, over $1000.
Those weren't writeoffs; they were Cost of Goods Sold. That gets subtracted from the income you're paying taxes on.
Tinstaafl is online now  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Member
 
jwatts's Avatar
 
Trade: c-27
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: califonia
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 82

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Where did you include these items on your tax return?

Is there a new line that says REWARDS?
Line 4: Cost of goods sold.

I'm just saying I WAS rewarded, rather than taxed for these purchases that were resold. Semantics. But my question remains unanswered:
Why would anyone suggest not including materials on customer invoices, since in the end I end up getting money back instead of paying the government? Was this because of the resell license? I'm looking at you Chris Johnson.
jwatts is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 9,177
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post

Line 4: Cost of goods sold.

I'm just saying I WAS rewarded, rather than taxed for these purchases that were resold. Semantics. But my question remains unanswered:
Why would anyone suggest not including materials on customer invoices, since in the end I end up getting money back instead of paying the government? Was this because of the resell license? I'm looking at you Chris Johnson.
Just because it's not line item'd on the invoice doesn't mean you don't get to deduct it.

You need to fix your terminology so it's better understood what you're talking about.
RobertCDF is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Member
 
jwatts's Avatar
 
Trade: c-27
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: califonia
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 82

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Those weren't writeoffs; they were Cost of Goods Sold. That gets subtracted from the income you're paying taxes on.
Correct, it was costs of goods sold. But I still made more profit than the amount of the goods sold, so when they were subtracted by turbotax I would have still had a net gain, and been taxed on them. I'm just wondering why I got a refund.
jwatts is offline  
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Capra aegagrus
 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,060
Rewards Points: 14

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
Correct, it was costs of goods sold. But I still made more profit than the amount of the goods sold, so when they were subtracted by turbotax I would have still had a net gain, and been taxed on them. I'm just wondering why I got a refund.
You got a refund because the COGS reduced your declared income enough to do so.

However, if you never paid state sales tax on your markup amount, you still owe that to the state. Turbotax doesn't specifically ask you about that little detail, because it's a separate issue from your yearly income taxes.
Tinstaafl is online now  
Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #15
The Dude
 
smalpierre's Avatar
 
Trade: home improvement
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sunny South Florida!
Posts: 2,019
Rewards Points: 1,946

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
In either case, you need to be a registered business in your state, with a tax ID. Normally you would purchase materials tax exempt (since you are a reseller), sell them with your markup and collect sales tax on the entire price.

Details vary from state to state, but you would most likely be required to send those sales tax monies in at least quarterly.
Tin, in the state of TN contractors are considered end users of the materials and we don't get the sales tax ID instead paying sales tax to our suppliers - doesn't matter if we mark up materials or not. Per Chris though, separating in invoices could open up a can of worms.
__________________
"That somebitch looks like MANAGEMENT MATERIAL TO ME...I would have handed him another rod after he bent the first one." ~MAULEMALL
"I think he was grandmaster at a gay pride parade in san fran this week (not that there's anything wrong with that). " ~ J F
smalpierre is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #16
Capra aegagrus
 
Tinstaafl's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,060
Rewards Points: 14

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by smalpierre View Post
Tin, in the state of TN contractors are considered end users of the materials and we don't get the sales tax ID instead paying sales tax to our suppliers - doesn't matter if we mark up materials or not.
Are you not required to collect and submit sales tax on the markup portion of materials billed for? Hard to picture the gummint missing that one.
Tinstaafl is online now  
Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #17
Pro
 
Framer53's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Utica,NY
Posts: 3,005
Rewards Points: 366

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


In NY we are not collecting sales tax if it a capital improvement so instead of markup the smart ones use only cost of goods and the markup is reported at least by me as markup on labor which is not taxed.

Complicated isn't it?
Framer53 is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 26,075
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Are you not required to collect and submit sales tax on the markup portion of materials billed for? Hard to picture the gummint missing that one.
If that's the case I'l move to TN
Inner10 is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
I'm a Mac
 
Chris Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: ICF Construction
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hog Town
Posts: 5,487
Rewards Points: 4,254

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts
So this raises a few more questions. 1) If you get audited, don't they look at your bank statement also to see that you aren't buying materials for jobs? 2) Do you have to have a separate bank account for your business, even if you are just a sole proprietor doing business as? 3) Don't they reward you for buying materials, ie: write-offs? I did my 2013 taxes (on turbotax) and almost finished without entering any of the stuff I purchased for customers, I owed back over $1000. I went in and entered my write-offs and actually got a few hundred back at the end, instead of owing. Mostly from fed and some from state. Am I missing something?
Your missing an accountant doing your books and taxes

Profit is not a dirty word

Real easy way to explain this is

You invoice a customer $1000.00, that's all the customer needs to know, job cost them $1000.00 including all materials and labor

Your cost that you see is a breakdown of many many items to charge the customer $1000.00, it's not a simple black and white $500 materials $500 labor

You have expenses your not even thinking about, things like insurance, phone, gas, wear and tear, advertising, and this list goes on and on, and a portion or percentage of all this comes from your $1000 job.

The other reason you are not charging your customer a sales tax is you purchased the materials, you are the end user or buyer, because you are using them to make an improvement to their property and supply a finished installed product, you are not reselling the item to your customer.

Yes it can be complicated, but once you understand it, it all makes sense
__________________
Chris
Chris Johnson is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,322
Rewards Points: 1,268

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Are you not required to collect and submit sales tax on the markup portion of materials billed for? Hard to picture the gummint missing that one.
Same here in IL. The one decent thing about doing business here.

Advertisement

__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?