Reselling Items And Pro Discounts - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Reselling Items And Pro Discounts

Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #1

Trade: c-27
Rewards Points: 82

Reselling Items And Pro Discounts

Are unlicensed landscapers (gardeners) in CA allowed to resell items without a reseller's permit? And usually nurseries will give a discount to professionals, are we allowed to not pass on the discount to our customers?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 36

Re: Reselling Items And Pro Discounts

Franchise Tax Board, CSLB & IRS are likely going to want to chat with you...

If your buying it tax exempt you need to charge tax & report it.

If your buying it & paying tax & re-selling items at profit you still need to charge tax and report to FTB.

Advertisement

66 Shelby (04-12-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

This is a perfect example of why you normally would invoice the customers for both materials and labor, one price, no breakdown. The minute your invoice shows a value for materials and a separate value for labor your are opening up a can of worms
PrestigeR&D (04-20-2014), tgeb (04-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
This is a perfect example of why you normally would invoice the customers for both materials and labor, one price, no breakdown. The minute your invoice shows a value for materials and a separate value for labor your are opening up a can of worms
So this raises a few more questions.

1) If you get audited, don't they look at your bank statement also to see that you aren't buying materials for jobs?

2) Do you have to have a separate bank account for your business, even if you are just a sole proprietor doing business as?

3) Don't they reward you for buying materials, ie: write-offs? I did my 2013 taxes (on turbotax) and almost finished without entering any of the stuff I purchased for customers, I owed back over $1000. I went in and entered my write-offs and actually got a few hundred back at the end, instead of owing. Mostly from fed and some from state. Am I missing something?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

If your buying it & paying tax & re-selling items at profit you still need to charge tax and report to FTB.
So if I'm buying something, not tax exempt, then I am paying taxes at the time of purchase. But then since I'm reselling for a profit, say 20%, how do I report this and pay this tax? Is this something you do when you file your taxes or is there some other special procedure?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
So this raises a few more questions.

1) If you get audited, don't they look at your bank statement also to see that you aren't buying materials for jobs?

2) Do you have to have a separate bank account for your business, even if you are just a sole proprietor doing business as?

3) Don't they reward you for buying materials, ie: write-offs? I did my 2013 taxes (on turbotax) and almost finished without entering any of the stuff I purchased for customers, I owed back over $1000. I went in and entered my write-offs and actually got a few hundred back at the end, instead of owing. Mostly from fed and some from state. Am I missing something?
Good gosh.
You are not "rewarded" for buying materials. It is considered a cost of doing business. How you could complete your tax return without your write offs is beyond my comprehension.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Good gosh.
You are not "rewarded" for buying materials. It is considered a cost of doing business. How you could complete your tax return without your write offs is beyond my comprehension.

Well as I said, I did include my write-offs and I was rewarded, over $1000. So why wouldn't anyone include that stuff in an invoice? Otherwise you get taxed on it as though it were labor! Again, am I missing something?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Well as I said, I did include my write-offs and I was rewarded, over $1000. So why wouldn't anyone include that stuff in an invoice? Otherwise you get taxed on it as though it were labor! Again, am I missing something?
Where did you include these items on your tax return?

Is there a new line that says REWARDS?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
So if I'm buying something, not tax exempt, then I am paying taxes at the time of purchase. But then since I'm reselling for a profit, say 20%, how do I report this and pay this tax? Is this something you do when you file your taxes or is there some other special procedure?
In either case, you need to be a registered business in your state, with a tax ID. Normally you would purchase materials tax exempt (since you are a reseller), sell them with your markup and collect sales tax on the entire price.

Details vary from state to state, but you would most likely be required to send those sales tax monies in at least quarterly.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Well as I said, I did include my write-offs and I was rewarded, over $1000.
Those weren't writeoffs; they were Cost of Goods Sold. That gets subtracted from the income you're paying taxes on.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Where did you include these items on your tax return?

Is there a new line that says REWARDS?
Line 4: Cost of goods sold.

I'm just saying I WAS rewarded, rather than taxed for these purchases that were resold. Semantics. But my question remains unanswered:
Why would anyone suggest not including materials on customer invoices, since in the end I end up getting money back instead of paying the government? Was this because of the resell license? I'm looking at you Chris Johnson.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Quote:

Line 4: Cost of goods sold.

I'm just saying I WAS rewarded, rather than taxed for these purchases that were resold. Semantics. But my question remains unanswered:
Why would anyone suggest not including materials on customer invoices, since in the end I end up getting money back instead of paying the government? Was this because of the resell license? I'm looking at you Chris Johnson.
Just because it's not line item'd on the invoice doesn't mean you don't get to deduct it.

You need to fix your terminology so it's better understood what you're talking about.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Those weren't writeoffs; they were Cost of Goods Sold. That gets subtracted from the income you're paying taxes on.
Correct, it was costs of goods sold. But I still made more profit than the amount of the goods sold, so when they were subtracted by turbotax I would have still had a net gain, and been taxed on them. I'm just wondering why I got a refund.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Correct, it was costs of goods sold. But I still made more profit than the amount of the goods sold, so when they were subtracted by turbotax I would have still had a net gain, and been taxed on them. I'm just wondering why I got a refund.
You got a refund because the COGS reduced your declared income enough to do so.

However, if you never paid state sales tax on your markup amount, you still owe that to the state. Turbotax doesn't specifically ask you about that little detail, because it's a separate issue from your yearly income taxes.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #15
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Quote:
In either case, you need to be a registered business in your state, with a tax ID. Normally you would purchase materials tax exempt (since you are a reseller), sell them with your markup and collect sales tax on the entire price.

Details vary from state to state, but you would most likely be required to send those sales tax monies in at least quarterly.
Tin, in the state of TN contractors are considered end users of the materials and we don't get the sales tax ID instead paying sales tax to our suppliers - doesn't matter if we mark up materials or not. Per Chris though, separating in invoices could open up a can of worms.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #16
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalpierre View Post
Tin, in the state of TN contractors are considered end users of the materials and we don't get the sales tax ID instead paying sales tax to our suppliers - doesn't matter if we mark up materials or not.
Are you not required to collect and submit sales tax on the markup portion of materials billed for? Hard to picture the gummint missing that one.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

In NY we are not collecting sales tax if it a capital improvement so instead of markup the smart ones use only cost of goods and the markup is reported at least by me as markup on labor which is not taxed.

Complicated isn't it?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Quote:
Are you not required to collect and submit sales tax on the markup portion of materials billed for? Hard to picture the gummint missing that one.
If that's the case I'l move to TN
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatts
So this raises a few more questions. 1) If you get audited, don't they look at your bank statement also to see that you aren't buying materials for jobs? 2) Do you have to have a separate bank account for your business, even if you are just a sole proprietor doing business as? 3) Don't they reward you for buying materials, ie: write-offs? I did my 2013 taxes (on turbotax) and almost finished without entering any of the stuff I purchased for customers, I owed back over $1000. I went in and entered my write-offs and actually got a few hundred back at the end, instead of owing. Mostly from fed and some from state. Am I missing something?
Your missing an accountant doing your books and taxes

Profit is not a dirty word

Real easy way to explain this is

You invoice a customer $1000.00, that's all the customer needs to know, job cost them $1000.00 including all materials and labor

Your cost that you see is a breakdown of many many items to charge the customer $1000.00, it's not a simple black and white $500 materials $500 labor

You have expenses your not even thinking about, things like insurance, phone, gas, wear and tear, advertising, and this list goes on and on, and a portion or percentage of all this comes from your $1000 job.

The other reason you are not charging your customer a sales tax is you purchased the materials, you are the end user or buyer, because you are using them to make an improvement to their property and supply a finished installed product, you are not reselling the item to your customer.

Yes it can be complicated, but once you understand it, it all makes sense
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #20
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Same here in IL. The one decent thing about doing business here.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.