Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Removing burnt smell from kitchen?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BKFranks 
#1 ·
I was boiling some Cell O sponges to clean them as per directions, but got a little distracted and they turned into ash. After airing out two entire days, I can still smell the odor of burned cellulose sponges in my kitchen.

There isn't any smell on surfaces, dry wall, and I tried the vinegar trick, but the smell still lingers.

Odor remediation isn't my forte. Any tip on how to get rid of this smell? :(

#6 ·
How far away are you from some good Mexican food? Invite your crew over for some Double beef and bean burritos, some queso dip, couple coronas and you'll be wishing for that burnt smell to be back again.

#7 ·
Ok on a serious note. Even though you can't smell it on the walls/ceilings it is there. What about furniture (soft padded stuff mainly), carpets &window coverings? You will have to wash all walls & ceilings & wipe down furniture & metallic/plastic window blinds. Get your carpets professionally cleaned. You will have to weigh the costs of replacement vs cleaning of cloth window coverings ( drapes/soft shades) In the mean time to help with the smell burn some coffee grounds in a pan on the stove. We know that you know how to do this, pretend they are sponges. It does work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.