Red Flags From Potential Client. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Red Flags From Potential Client.

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
Member
 
vancouver dave's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 122

Red Flags From Potential Client.


Not sure if I should do this job.

a women called me, wanted a quote to paint her apartment. On the phone she had kind of a strange voice, like she smoked 40 smokes a day. Not a red flag in itself but had me wondering.

Then she called and said she had the flu and would call again once better, which she did.

When I got to her place, it's an area I've worked a lot. Middle class, and nice places.

She came down to let me in and sort of looked like her voice sounded. Something was bit off. Then we went into her place, man it was like a bit odd looking.

Mostly empty and some boxes looked like half way through packing. But what stuff wasn't packed looked a bit like a crack house.

In the bedroom 2 old mattress on the floor/no bed frame. Place looked like it hadn't been painted for 30 years, run down and grotty.

She said it was because she'd been busy raising kids in there and better to just let them 'do their thing' than to try stop them. Then she said she'd already 'washed the walls twice' and that should save a lot of the labour??

She asked me if I took the light fixtures off the ceiling when I painted the ceilings, said she'd heard most painters are 'lazy' and don't take the fixtures off and 'just paint around them'.

I left and she let it be known that the building management would have to see my insurance x 2. Liability and workers compensation, which is no problem.

I sent her a price over and she sounded like she was shopping around, no problem there, but just how much I wondered?

Didn't hear off her for a while and she emailed and said kids had had the flu.

Then another saying some other reason for a delay.

The she got back to me and wanted to 'confirm what the price was for'.. and she'd added some small things. Then later on she's added painting inside the kitchen cabinets which clearly were not included and were excluded. Then she added a line that said 'fix all holes in grout in corner of bathroom and tiles' I asked her what was that about, and that we could take a look before we get started... she insisted it's just minor stuff?

Then she asked me to send her an updated copy of my liability insurance as I'd sent her a copy that had expired, which was totally understandable.

But then 10 minutes later I got a call from my insurance broker saying a women had called her up asking if I was insured and if it was OK to disclose my info to her??? It seemed underhanded as in the call me and her had 10 minutes earlier I'd said it's no problem and I'd send it over.

Then yesterday she was buying the materials from Home Depot, I got 4 phone calls off her in 10 minutes about what to buy. I kind of get that, but along with everything else?...

Then today I was busy and just checked my email this evening, 2 emails off her. One asking me if I was available to go to the apartment today at 1pm to go over everything and 'her partner wants to meet' me to go over everything as I haven't seen the place in a while.

All this for 3 days work. And I haven't even started working yet!

My thing is nowadays I can't do with the stress from headache jobs. I'm heading for 60 years old and done with the batty customers.

What do you think?

Last edited by vancouver dave; 04-26-2019 at 11:00 PM.
vancouver dave is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
Pro
 
Bull Trout's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Salish Sea
Posts: 1,031
Rewards Points: 618

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Run!

Advertisement

Bull Trout is offline  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
cwatbay (05-01-2019), Fouthgeneration (04-27-2019), MarkJames (04-27-2019), overanalyze (04-27-2019), Robie (04-27-2019), rselectric1 (04-27-2019), SummitElectric1 (04-29-2019), Thoff93 (04-28-2019), vancouver dave (04-26-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 4,049
Rewards Points: 154

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Only upside to living in a world where working with your hands is despised is, those of us who choose to be craftsmen, are now in high demand.

And if someone is nutty or bat$#it crazy, we can just walk.

Sure beats scraping and fighting for every crumb the morons want to drop, for $#iT wages.
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (04-27-2019), vancouver dave (04-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,045
Rewards Points: 14,585

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


I don't know the angle they're playing, but it seems like a set-up of some sort.

Maybe she's a tenant about to move out and trying to get some deposit back, at your expense.

Last edited by MarkJames; 04-27-2019 at 10:46 AM.
MarkJames is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,069
Rewards Points: 684

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver dave View Post

My thing is nowadays I can't do with the stress from headache jobs. I'm heading for 60 years old and done with the batty customers.

What do you think?
You're about 40 years late.
avenge is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,388
Rewards Points: 35,458

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver dave View Post
Then she asked me to send her an updated copy of my liability insurance as I'd sent her a copy that had expired, which was totally understandable.
Hope you also sent her an updated quote for the additional work... I'd do that before even meeting her and her partner, along with as much down as possible and balance due on day of completion... some people are just peculiar and in different phases of life, but at least this way, it will save yourself some time and let the job weed itself out...
KAP is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 40,767
Rewards Points: 13,857

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Sounds like more work than it'll end up being worth. Hard to tell, people can be weird. Since she's bought the materials there's no way to get a down payment and no reason for her to pay you as she'll have all the leverage. Remind her that since she bought the materials there is no warranty of your work.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
Member
 
vancouver dave's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman carpenter
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 122

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Strange thing about her is that her apartment is really grotty looking, the beds on the floor kind of thing.
On the phone she sounds rough, it's like I picture a women who chain smokes and drinks in the afternoon.
And when I saw her she looked a bit that way too.

But when corresponding with her on the phone or her emails, they seem like someone who knows a thing or 2 about hiring a guy to do work on her place.

The 2 don't seem to add up.

As Mark James OP said it seems like she might be a tenant and not the owner.

Although the amount she's paying me to paint it will likely be more than the deposit she'd get.

Tough to know, but when I find myself trying to guess and trying to figure out if she's a but case or if she'll be a bad payer.

In my experience of similar things to this I'd say there's a 75% chance it'll be a job I'll regret, 25% it'll be a surprise and all work out OK.
vancouver dave is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 40,767
Rewards Points: 13,857

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Gut feeling.

Go with that.

You'll never lose money on a job you don't take.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (04-27-2019), Thoff93 (04-28-2019), vancouver dave (05-02-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Pro
 
fourcornerhome's Avatar
 
Trade: home improvement contractor
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aurora Ohio
Posts: 967
Rewards Points: 1,790

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver dave View Post
Strange thing about her is that her apartment is really grotty looking, the beds on the floor kind of thing.
On the phone she sounds rough, it's like I picture a women who chain smokes and drinks in the afternoon.
And when I saw her she looked a bit that way too.

But when corresponding with her on the phone or her emails, they seem like someone who knows a thing or 2 about hiring a guy to do work on her place.

The 2 don't seem to add up.

As Mark James OP said it seems like she might be a tenant and not the owner.

Although the amount she's paying me to paint it will likely be more than the deposit she'd get.

Tough to know, but when I find myself trying to guess and trying to figure out if she's a but case or if she'll be a bad payer.

In my experience of similar things to this I'd say there's a 75% chance it'll be a job I'll regret, 25% it'll be a surprise and all work out OK.
I think Mark's scenario is that you don't get paid. Go to collect to an empty apartment and she's gone with her security deposit in hand, thanks to the work you've done.
You describe a place that can be quickly vacated...
fourcornerhome is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Pro
 
rselectric1's Avatar
 
Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 11,800
Rewards Points: 896

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Since "building management" is involved, why not give them a call? I'll bet they know something you would like to know.
__________________
220...221...whatever it takes!
rselectric1 is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rselectric1 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (05-06-2019), Fouthgeneration (04-27-2019), MarkJames (04-27-2019), Rio (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
Pro
 
dave_dj1's Avatar
 
Trade: general contractor
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upsate Ny/Vt border
Posts: 1,003
Rewards Points: 1,120

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
You're about 40 years late.
It's NEVER to late! Listen to your gut.
dave_dj1 is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
Pro
 
CityDecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 711
Rewards Points: 1,596

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Tell her sorry Im too busy to do you job. ... Walk. Run whatever.... Way too annoying

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
CityDecks is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDecks For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-03-2019), overanalyze (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #14
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,362
Rewards Points: 4,964

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Do you like using the cheapest runniest paint possible?

Thatís probably what she got.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #15
New Guy
 
SixStarFC's Avatar
 
Trade: Framing
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 98

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


If you have to ask......
__________________

Hard work, respect, honesty and completion makes everything easy, because then you only have to do the job once
SixStarFC is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #16
Not a people person
 
Chris Doom's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodel/landscaping/irrigation
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Undisclosed location
Posts: 124
Rewards Points: 291

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


I,d ditch that chick with a quickness dude.
Chris Doom is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Doom For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Pro
 
Mordekyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,362
Rewards Points: 4,964

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Doom View Post
I,d ditch that chick with a quickness dude.


Better listen to the Voice of Doom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mordekyle is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
KAP (04-28-2019), mrcat (04-28-2019), Unger.const (05-10-2019), vancouver dave (05-02-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #18
Pro
 
JFM constr's Avatar
 
Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sonoma Calif
Posts: 940
Rewards Points: 2,008

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Not at all comfy with client picking supplies .Just cannot see this not biting you in the ass . This just doesn't save anything in the end .

Actually though not a painter years back ,strange [female] client got the paint .i had a wall to do .guess it saved me time her getting it but i do go to supply house often .anyway it was on sale,she insisted . I put 7 ,may i spell that out "seven" coats on that wall and it still was only ok . Hey I am still bitching , should be laughing though .whole job was just nuts .
JFM constr is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFM constr For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-28-2019), MarkJames (04-28-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #19
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,388
Rewards Points: 35,458

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver dave View Post
Not sure if I should do this job.
Well?...
KAP is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #20
Pro
 
Ed Hartmann's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 111
Rewards Points: 258

Re: Red Flags From Potential Client.


I cant give customers my best service once they annoy the crap out of me which means I have no option but to part ways for the sake of my reputation.

Advertisement

Ed Hartmann is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you do with this situation? re frustrated with client crissyissy General Discussion 54 10-14-2012 12:17 PM
Barrier Free Showers - A Market saturated with Dirty Insurance Tech Dawg Tiling 18 09-20-2012 09:31 PM
difficult client 1stchoice General Discussion 58 08-02-2011 11:52 AM
AIA form to protect a contractor from a client MikeNYC Business 2 04-20-2011 10:56 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?