The REALITY Of Service Magic - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

The REALITY Of Service Magic

Old 04-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

The REALITY Of Service Magic

So I am now in my second year of using Service Magic, (SM) and I am now a 5 star reviewed contractor. I am not going to kiss their ass, cause I figure most of you would assume I work for the company, instead I will start with a complaint. Anyone who wants a realistic review of how I am doing with them, just ask. (To sum it up I land about 1/10 leads, and am happy with that)

Complaint #1:

Service Magic contacts previous customers who have used the service and asks them if they have any new projects they would like to have bid. Then when the customer says "Not really" they encourage them to think hard, maybe they really would like a new kitchen ....someday. So the customers eventually relent and say "Sure". Now they sell this "lead" to 4 new contractors, despite the fact that they may already be working with and happy with another SM contractor, who would perhaps like to bid that kitchen, but MORE likely, and I've had this happen a few times, when you contact them they say "Oh, we weren't really serious. The SM rep just pressed us to come up with something, even though we told them We werent serious" You just paid $50 for a dead end, and more likely the customer is now angry with SM and wont use them again.

Complaint#2:

Soemone visits Service Magic and wants some window treatements hung. Unfortunately there are no contractors covering "Hang window treatments" in that area, but rather than be unable to SELL that lead to contractors, they change it to the category "Hire a Handyman". Now you get that lead, if you service this category, despite the fact that you do not service the category "Hang window treatments"

Why they want to ruin their reputation by doing this shady sht is beyond me.

Other than those scams,...I am happy.

Last edited by maxhardcore; 04-27-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wrong word.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 570

Re: The REALITY Of Service Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhardcore View Post
(To sum it up I land about 1/10 leads, and am happy with that)

If you are happy landing 1 out of 10 leads good for you. I on the other hand would not be happy with that ratio

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
So I am now in my second year of using Service Magic, (SM) and I am now a 5 star reviewed contractor. I am not going to kiss their ass, cause I figure most of you would assume I work for the company, instead I will start with a complaint. Anyone who wants a realistic review of how I am doing with them, just ask. (To sum it up I land about 1/10 leads, and am happy with that)

Complaint #1:

Service Magic contacts previous customers who have used the service and asks them if they have any new projects they would like to have bid. Then when the customer says "Not really" they encourage them to think hard, maybe they really would like a new kitchen ....someday. So the customers eventually relent and say "Sure". Now they sell this "lead" to 4 new contractors, despite the fact that they may already be working with and happy with another SM contractor, who would perhaps like to bid that kitchen, but MORE likely, and I've had this happen a few times, when you contact them they say "Oh, we weren't really serious. The SM rep just pressed us to come up with something, even though we told them We werent serious" You just paid $50 for a dead end, and more likely the customer is now angry with SM and wont use them again.

Complaint#2:

Soemone visits Service Magic and wants some window treatements hung. Unfortunately there are no contractors covering "Hang window treatments" in that area, but rather than be unable to SELL that lead to contractors, they change it to the category "Hire a Handyman". Now you get that lead, if you service this category, despite the fact that you do not service the category "Hang window treatments"

Other than those scams,...I am happy.
Nice first post.............
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

I took a long look at SM a couple of months ago. A salesman made several calls to me and I spent a lot of time on the phone with him. I was interested in expanding my client list and I thought it would may work. Ultimately I decided against it. There were several reasons I opted out, but the tipping point came when I did a Google search. There came up several sites that were dedicated to reporting problems with the SM system and many of them were homeowners who had bad experiences with contractors.

I always thought it was odd that the salesman was going to issue me some sort of preferred contractor status that was specially approved by SM. How could they deem me acceptable? They didn't know anything about me. Truth is there was no background check. It was a system that had a lot of shadiness to it, and your post justifies my decision.

People should not go on the computer to find reputable contractors. The computer will only show the contractors that spend the most on promoting their websites, not who can provide the best service. But the integration of the internet and contracting is ultimately inevitable. The client base is becoming more and more computer savy and they want to see everything on the screen. However the business model of SM is a failure and I will not use them.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #5

Trade: Insurance Contractor

S.M. is Great!!!!!

(for them . )
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeler/gc
Rewards Points: 288

$50 a lead, you land 1 in 10, so you give them $500 bucks per job landed and are happy. How does that work?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
S.M. is Great!!!!!

(for them . )
Nice fish!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,522

Quote:
They doing that because most contractors cannot stand them and don't want to deal with them, and same goes for the HO because they are being solicited in to unwanted home improvements.
Service magic is running out of customers, so they press existing customers so they can milk the Contractor for the $$$.
You pretty much answered your own question as to why...
Osito (05-03-2010)
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #9
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

I talked with one of their guys in the office. Talked with him many times on the phone and just in the back of my mind, I knew all the bad mouthing from here and online just said "forget it" to me.

The last time we talked I said " no thanks" and he went off.

"I have invested a lot of time in getting you to sign up with SM blah blah blah"

"so....you think I would likely change my mind after you berating me? How's that technique working for you?"

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert c1 View Post
$50 a lead, you land 1 in 10, so you give them $500 bucks per job landed and are happy. How does that work?

Are leads are about $17 a piece. 1 in 10 would be fine with me.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Hauling/trucking
Rewards Points: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgutters View Post
Are leads are about $17 a piece. 1 in 10 would be fine with me.
Arrr matey!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESSaustin View Post
Arrr matey!
Y'er a wee bit early thar!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two
Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
People should not go on the computer to find reputable contractors. The computer will only show the contractors that spend the most on promoting their websites, not who can provide the best service.
Really??? What do you base your theory on? So where would people go to find "reputable contractors"?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Really??? What do you base your theory on? So where would people go to find "reputable contractors"?

Friends. Family. Neighbors. Coworkers.

And.... what about "Two on top of one"?
CGallagher (04-29-2010), D-TEK (04-29-2010), festerized (04-29-2010)
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #15

Trade: General Contractor

I've used many web sourced lead services. SM gave me the biggest bang for the buck. 2008 cost for SMagic was around $2500.00 for the year and I netted approx. 140K gross. They do hook your name up in Google and the likes. In 2009 I had a really bad experience with them in that they would not stop deducting money from my bank account, once I stopped my service, so far as to having my bank account number changed. SM has too many hoops to jump through, you'd think they would be 'contractor conscious' as WE pay for all their non-skilled personel.
Reliable Remodeler always gave me bunk leads and its like pulling teeth to get reimbursed for them. Really one of the worse I've seen for their potential leads and their payback methods. I did get good leads back in 2006 or 2007 but the last few years they've gone wrong.
Renovation Experts or Bob Vila leads were more for a handyman. I paid $250.00 a month (10 leads a month) for a minimum 3 month start-up and got really small project leads. If your a handyman it would probably be worth it.
Craigs List is free. 2007 Biggest job landed was a whole house retrofit off a hillside in Silver Lake CA. $350K. Also same year landed a $450K project in Hollywood Hills for a rockstar.
All I can say is google the lead agency, review the comments. Make sure the lead service has a good return system in place so you don't get stuck with their bunk leads.
My next adventure will be with Bid Clerk and Reed.
News at 11.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #16
New Guy

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 25

SM, why we let someone with no abilties sit in an office and make money off us, is beyond me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-TEK For This Useful Post:
Curb Guy (10-09-2010), JCL in LA CALIF (10-07-2010), sparks134 (04-29-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #17

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
Look I have a pretty good website. But, it is meant to supplement my reputation in the community. As I see it, and past history shows, most of my new work comes from referrals of past clients, or when people drop in to one of my jobsites. My reputation is the most effective form of advertising.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 396

So what do new companies do?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevjob For This Useful Post:
Brickie (04-29-2010), dprimc (09-05-2010), [email protected] (05-03-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL in LA CALIF View Post
I've used many web sourced lead services. SM gave me the biggest bang for the buck. 2008 cost for SMagic was around $2500.00 for the year and I netted approx. 140K gross. They do hook your name up in Google and the likes. In 2009 I had a really bad experience with them in that they would not stop deducting money from my bank account, once I stopped my service, so far as to having my bank account number changed. SM has too many hoops to jump through, you'd think they would be 'contractor conscious' as WE pay for all their non-skilled personel.
Reliable Remodeler always gave me bunk leads and its like pulling teeth to get reimbursed for them. Really one of the worse I've seen for their potential leads and their payback methods. I did get good leads back in 2006 or 2007 but the last few years they've gone wrong.
Renovation Experts or Bob Vila leads were more for a handyman. I paid $250.00 a month (10 leads a month) for a minimum 3 month start-up and got really small project leads. If your a handyman it would probably be worth it.
Craigs List is free. 2007 Biggest job landed was a whole house retrofit off a hillside in Silver Lake CA. $350K. Also same year landed a $450K project in Hollywood Hills for a rockstar.
All I can say is google the lead agency, review the comments. Make sure the lead service has a good return system in place so you don't get stuck with their bunk leads.
My next adventure will be with Bid Clerk and Reed.
News at 11.
In your dreams PAL!! if you did that good with SM then why did you cancel your bank account #...Let me guess you made so much money off your $2500 investment that you retired
The Following User Says Thank You to Five Star For This Useful Post:
J F (04-29-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #20

Trade: General Contractor

Mr Five Star, please don't guess, it makes you sound very UNprofessional, what dreams are you talking about PAL?? I'm just stating facts. I though this site was for professionals.
No I did not retire on a $2500.00 lead service cost. I've run into hard times, as most of us have in this economy.
It seems most lead services start out a genuine service to contractors, but as they grow larger, their staff and/or attorneys seem to take the company in a different path.

Advertisement

Tags
.com , leads , magic , service , servicemagic , shil