Ready To Start My Own Shop, Need Advice On Procuring Work - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Ready To Start My Own Shop, Need Advice On Procuring Work

Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Trade: Insulation
Rewards Points: 2

Ready To Start My Own Shop, Need Advice On Procuring Work

Hello all! I've been thinking of going out on my own for quite some time now. I have Nearly two decades of mechanical insulation experience in both commercial and industrial. I know my trade inside and out. What I don't know is where to find work. Does anybody have any advice on where to find bidding opportunities for specialty work like my trade? Are there websites and brick & mortar office buildings where people go to find this information or should I start cold-calling mechanical companies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 11,622

Re: Ready To Start My Own Shop, Need Advice On Procuring Work

There is NO ONE SINGLE method for finding work. If there was, everyone would be doing it.

You'll need to find out what system works for you. It will take time, patience and money. Try on method (and seriously TRY it) for a period of time (not just once!) and track the results.

If it doesn't seem to be working, try something else. Eventually, you'll find a method that works for you. And what works for you will fail someone else, and vice-versa. So what works for them will fail for you.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdutchman View Post
Hello all! I've been thinking of going out on my own for quite some time now. I have Nearly two decades of mechanical insulation experience in both commercial and industrial. I know my trade inside and out. What I don't know is where to find work. Does anybody have any advice on where to find bidding opportunities for specialty work like my trade? Are there websites and brick & mortar office buildings where people go to find this information or should I start cold-calling mechanical companies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Can't know your trade inside and out without knowing where the work comes from.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
1985gt (06-15-2015), pinwheel (06-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Around here the local BXs post (both at the building and on-line) notices from the big prevailing wage contractors. Cold-calling the mechanical companies, too, and if you don't yet know, find out what a bid looks like in your trade.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

Most largish cities will have a construction association with a website where projects will be posted, if not your state surely will and you can usually search by location as well as trade. Cold calling...sure why not. Not done as much in residential but commercial/civil/industrial it's not uncommon. From your years in the industry you must know some people..call them up and let them know your branching out on your own...just don't step on any toes unless you really want to
Old 06-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: division twelve
Rewards Points: 1,170

A friend has a company that is in this very trade. Most of his work is performed under the mechanical subs. He has an estimator (30 hours/week) who also initiates contacts with GCs/CMs.

He has been very successful. Most of this is due to his work ethic and I believe he would be just as successful in any other trade.

SFO mentioned the Builder's Exchanges. You can get a trial membership and see what they offer. It is definitely worth it for some trades.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,498

Dodge report.

http://construction.com/DodgeLeadsBy...SgsaApq_8P8HAQ
Old 06-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Can't know your trade inside and out without knowing where the work comes from.
He may know who needs it, but not what happens before the crew got there. This sounds like a classic example of an excellent baker wanting to open and run a bakery.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #9
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,412

Work is method. Business is relationships.

Advertisement

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com