Question For GC's About Subs Approaching You. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Question For GC's About Subs Approaching You.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 10

Question For GC's About Subs Approaching You.

I was wondering what is the best way to approach GC's and Builders. What would it take for a sub like myself (flooring) to gain your confidence for future work?

thanks...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Re: Question For GC's About Subs Approaching You.

I would bring me some of your work and give me some testomonials. There is know magic just be yourself and ask for work. Be on time and always over deliver. Good luck

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I like to see a list of past jobs completed. But the list has to have a contact name, a working and current phone number to the contact, and the address of the jobsite. I dont like guys that brag and have a cocky attitude about their work or experience cause then I figure they are trying to fool me with smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Builder/Developer
Rewards Points: 150

Send me something in the mail with references and PRICING. It bugs the hell out of me when guys show up on my job site and want to try to hit me up for work. I get stuff from subs in the mail all the time and it goes in a file so I can call guys when I need that type of work. Having some general pricing helps so I can compare to what we are currently paying.

Sam
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 5,482

How about being licensed, I still havent talked to one yet who was licensed.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Old 08-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Project Manager

Trade: Custom Home Builder
Rewards Points: 150

I don't mind if subs show up on the job site and give me their card. As long as they understand I don't have time to talk to them. All the cards go into my "phone book" binder. When I have a job that needs competative bids that's the first place I go.

Although I have a full crew, if you impress me during the bidding process I may give you a chance. It's not only about the bottom line $. There are a few other things that will help... First- get the scope right! I hate having a sub come in, I spend 20 minutes going over everything but when the bid comes in it's wrong/missing something. I won't call you back.

I started using my current flooring guy b/c he brought me his bid (good pricing), with a sample of the wood floor and a list of past jobs with GC references.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

fruit basket, just kidding, be personable and polite, conduct yourself like a gentlman, you will be representing me in my clients homes. we are not looking for much, JUST NORMAL.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler, Roofing Expert and Coach
Rewards Points: 75

Have you considered visiting or joining associations like NARI, NAHRE, or Builders Associations? If you attend functions held by these groups and learn how to network with the group, you can meet general contractors and builders. Usually groups like this have established members. If you are new to the concept of networking, consider joining a referral group like BNI or inquire at your local chamber of commerce to see if they have referral groups. These groups are great at exposing business to networking for a small investment. There are also numerous books on how to network through building relationships. A favorite is Jeff Gitomer's The Black Book of Networking.

Hope I've helped.

mark the coach

Advertisement