Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Pump-jack scaffold platform ideas?

16K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jake Stevens 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,

I'm going to be setting up a pump-jack scaffold to work on a two-storey home. Used 'em before, but only for a standard 8-foot span working on a small area. This wall is 32-feet long and I want to cover the whole length. I have access to several pump-jacks. There'll be me and another guy, ~200lbs each, and we may have to both be on the same span at times.

On the one hand, I have acces to a bunch of Grade-1 (300 lb) aluminum extension ladders to use as the patforms, to which I'd add 2" x 10" walking boards. Anyone do this? If so, what span have you gotten away with?

If not, what configuration of platform do you prefer? Trusty old walking boards? Engineered platforms? And, of course, of what span? Basically I'm looking for ways to not have to have 5 posts of 8-foot spans.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I wouldn't use an aluminum extension ladder as a platform regardless of what wood was on top of it. Go rent aluminum scaffolding planks, they should be available in 20' lengths, then you can use the ladder as the safety rail/workbench. The number of jacks will depend on what planks you have available locally. Charge the client for the rental and stay safe, you won't make any money from a hospital room...

#5 ·
Using ladders as planks:no:, Aluminum planks by Alumapole http://www.alumapole.com/alumapolemain.html

and others are the thing to use, span up to 24' with one plank, 14" wide are a decent plank width for average use. use the ladders for your bench/rail

If your using wood poles you probably need to keep the distance between poles closer to 8'. aluminum poles are worth the money if your going to be up on pumps.
Upgraded to aluminum set up 10 years ago and have not touched a wooden setup since

#8 ·
We have 24' two man planks and just this year I pick up a couple 16' planks and we use them all the time on small jobs and to make up the width on the wall. In your case a 24' and 16' would work great. We use a one man plank for a backer on the 24' and OSHA 16' wood plank for a backer on the 16' aluminum plank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.