Public Projects-Prison - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Public Projects-Prison

Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

Trade: Awnings
Rewards Points: 162

Public Projects-Prison

I got a call to bid an awning project that would be installed at a Juvenile Prison system. First I think ok, then I read the checklist of requirements to do the job.

Requirements of Awning manufacturer and Awning Contractor, contractor must provide proof of certifications:
1. Have been in continuous operation as a professional fabric awning manufacturer for a minimum of ten (10) years prior to this contract.
2. Hold a valid general contractor’s license for a minimum of five (5) years.
3. Welder Qualifications: The personnel manufacturing the metal awning frames must certified welders.
4. Provide written welding procedure specifications.
5. Professional Engineer Qualifications: A professional engineer who is legally authorized to practice in the jurisdiction where project is located and who is experienced in providing engineering services for installing fabric awnings similar to those indicated fro this project and with a record of successful in service performance.
6. OSHA 10 Hour Construction Industry Certified Training.
7. OSHA Fall Protection Training.
8. Job site installation crew must include one CPR trained member on the job site at all times of the installation.
9. The installation crews must have a copy of the awning company’s Code of Safety practices at the job site during times of installation.
10. Hold daily Safety Tail Gate Meetings before start of installation work.
11. When forklifts are used at the job site, the operator must be Fork Lift Operation Trained.
12. The awning fabricator must provide proof they have an ongoing written Quality Assurance program for five (5) years or more.
13. The awning fabricator must provide proof of it full-time Quality Assurance manager.
14. The awning manufacturer must provide proof of $4 million general liability insurance coverage.
15. The awning manufacturer must provide proof of workers compensation insurance coverage.
16. It is recommended that the awning contractor be a current member of a professional trade association, i.e., Professional Awning Manufacturers Association, the Western Canvas Products Association or other established related trade association.

This is just for a simple 12' wide x 3' projection x 3'7" height fabric awning made out of 1" x 16 gauge TS. If this was going up on a commercial property under city code it would be about a $2,500.00 job. I meet almost all requirements except for 4 million general liability (2 mill in place), and the quality assurance manager. I simply replied back with we do not meet requirements so I can't bid it.

I guess I could start holding the title of quality assurance manager and put forward more protocols but these come around maybe once a year, I feel it's not even worth it for all the paper work for an occasional payday.

What are some of the obstacles that overshadow what I have described in your fields when working on public projects?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 858

Re: Public Projects-Prison

They had to pay some completely useless bean counter on OUR dime to come up with all the things they listed that likely is getting paid way more than any of the members here annually.

Welcome Mr Trump!

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,274

I suspect whoever wrote the requirements, knows someone that owns an awning company. They put in so many requirements that most will back out. Then there's only one company bidding the project.

It just turned into a $10,000 awning.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
sparehair (01-23-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,992

Actually a very common set of requirements.

There will be bachground checks of employees and a whole bunch of stuff in the General Conditions.

You will need to bank roll any PW job as pay is slow.
Then there is prevailing wages and certified payroll.

There is also bonding. In Calif. you will also need to be registered with the DIR just to bid PW jobs.

Everything is engineered and inspected.
Bolts/anchors will be pull tested or torqued tested.

Steel will need certs and any concrete will need an approved mix design.

There will be bo sense of urgency to get anything done.

Ill bet that awning ends up being 15-20k....
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16,832

I worked building Donavan State Prison for two years. They don't mess around. It's very strict, in every sense of the word. Make sure none of your guys have any unpaid tickets or outstanding warrants.

Last edited by Calidecks; 01-20-2017 at 11:31 AM.