Protecting American Construction Jobs? A Good Idea? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Protecting American Construction Jobs? A Good Idea?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #1

Trade: building contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Protecting American Construction Jobs? A Good Idea?

I go to work sites..I see jobs that a young College student or High School graduate who wants to work hard...are not working paying 10-15 an hour..why?? you know who is..so I don't need to say who they are..and that money goes over the border..as well as the experience that is never handed down to the young American youth..

Will more people do what I did..and support the youth of America and give these day labor jobs to our youth??? what is going on?? why is it that there is some false generalization that youth of America...are to lazy...when I have hired many an American Youth who is athletic..and or just strong smart and willing and can outwork anyone...they are just not sitting at every darn block loitering and waving their arms and cat calling at you..you got to dig a little deeper..

My reasoning is that the American Contractor...or Architect or homeowner etc..or unlicensed contractor who speaks two languages....finds it easier to go down the street and go for the easy way...and not post an ad or go to the college employment center and find young American Guys and Girls willing for the same money and desire for the same work..

Now the competition for contracting projects is severely diluted by individuals who profit ..and make justifacations for their own good and self as to why they should and can compete unfairly((based on the laws that are written for contractors and contracting in California and I am sure a lot of other states))..is there any fight on us American Citizens who are trying to make a decent living to somehow self patrol what we are involved in professionally..

Question and Response..I would love to find a way to create a group..a team..a collective of that supports the laws as written for us to compete and prosper and survive safely and securely in a country that we are citizens of...does anyone feel the same?

I have a good plan..and I am wondering if I can get some positive feedback here?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Can I get an Amen?

Trade: Custom Woodworks
Rewards Points: 1,060

Re: Protecting American Construction Jobs? A Good Idea?

I too feel that the youth of our nation is willing, however... I also feel that they are not as eager.

In addition to my remodeling addiction, my wife runs a clothing store. We've gone through 3 employees in less than a yr, and all between the ages of 20 and 24. The main reason for letting them go.... self motivation.... the lack there of.

I was working in my wife's store awhile back and a lady came in with her 17-19??yr old son. He was thin and built a little like Bruce Lee. She struck a conversation with me and mentioned her son was desperate to work but couldn't find some one willing to hire him. The kid was CLEAN CUT tucked in T-shirt and stood quietly by while his mom shopped. When she was done he carried all her things and opened the door. I got a hand shake out of him, but I didn't get his number.

There's youth willing to work and learn... as long as we are willing to weed/dig em out. Schools are pumping out graduates right and left, handing them a paper/diploma/certification but these kids have no where to work and allot of them think they'll get that 300k job just handed to em.

The task you speak of can be done

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 13,783

In my experience around here physical labor is a 4 letter work for the youths around here. After an hour or so they are ready to give up. I'd love to give the jobs to them, but they either don't want them or are unwilling to stick to it day after day.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
bobcaygeonjon (08-22-2010), DJ9222 (08-21-2010), J F (08-21-2010), jkfox624 (08-21-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: all carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

you get lazy kids all over the world and usually its the parents fault for spoiling them and waiting on them from when they were babies . people who hire illegals do so not because they are better workers its because they are cheap and have no rights , all youth deserve a chance but in our type of work you usually love it or hate it , but everyone should do some time in the construction industry as its a great grounding for life , i have a lot of family in the usa and one thing i know through them is that americans are not lazy yous are probably the most hrad working honest people about , just read through this site proves that
Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Renovations

When hiring a kid you got to be willing to train them. Not just in the aspects of how to do the job, but how to work as well.
How to think a process through. How to be motivated.
I grew up on a farm and we learnt to work at a young age.
Many of the teens today never get the valuable experience my parents gave me.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Painter/Rehaber

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 250

Skill Centers may be a great place to start. I don't know how many of them exist anymore.
I think there are a lot of kids that would be eager to learn a trade. Many of these kids just need to be reached out to. The youth may be easier to train as well because they do lack training and are not set in their ways.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
In my experience around here physical labor is a 4 letter work for the youths around here. After an hour or so they are ready to give up. I'd love to give the jobs to them, but they either don't want them or are unwilling to stick to it day after day.
Bingo! We have a winner!

Kids these days have very high, unrealistic expectations of what their value is to a potential employer. They are "self esteem" babies, who've been told that they are supremely special and every thing they do is wonderful. They play sports in leagues where nobody loses and everybody receives a trophy.

They are always right and do not accept criticism. They are always threatening law suits to correct problems with what they view as a hostile work place and they believe they have the ability to put you out of business if they should so decide.

They have high expectations for salary, they ask for raises about once a month on average.

They are always ill and sickly. They call in sick a lot. If they receive a minor cut on the jobsite, instead of thinking about a band-aid, they immediately start to think about a worker's comp claim. They are waiting for a big score, they believe that the path to financial success is not through earnest work, but through a law suit or disability claim.

These special children leave school and enter the workforce convinced that they are indispensable. I have fired more of these kids than I can remember, when I fire them, they are so predictable, they only respond in 1 of 2 ways, either they burst into tears or they become very angry and aggressive and promise legal action. "I'll see you in court!" young Billy shouts...

If the Hispanic workers are taking over construction, it's not because they are cheaper or such marvelous craftsmen, it's because they actually show up every day and like the work.

Last edited by RH-Electric; 08-21-2010 at 01:31 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RH-Electric For This Useful Post:
bobcaygeonjon (08-22-2010), dayexco (08-21-2010), J F (08-21-2010), jkfox624 (08-21-2010), Mike's Plumbing (08-21-2010), Rent A Painter (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Pro

as i said you either love this industry or hate it and i would not blame the kids its the parents who are supposed to install values and work ethics into them , 99% of americans have this in ambudance , we had the same problem here in ireland but there is always kids who want to build who want to create who want to heal and want to work hard , but there is always some employees who want cheap labour and justify this by saying they are better workers
Old 08-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Can I get an Amen?

Trade: Custom Woodworks
Rewards Points: 1,060

Lots of negative info on the youth of our nation.

I'm a parent of 6, my oldest 2 are girls then 4 boys. I keep them as busy as possible, just as my dad did for me. I count it as a blessing to be able to instill a work ethic into my children. They are all home schooled and beaten daily jk, My children need few corrections these days.

My wife and I have been doing interviews for store employees allot recently. And what surprises me the most is the 1st impressions given off by the potential new hires. We get adult women coming in with wet swimsuits under their clothes, girls dressed like tramps, grandmas in the old house dresses, and the list goes on.

This thread could get political real quick.... but um.... the problem is not SPECIFICALLY with the youth, the young are merely a product of their environment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Berk For This Useful Post:
Mike's Plumbing (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

The "The Kids These Days......" line is BS........it's over used, and has been the complaint of old guys for a thousand years!

I found a news paper the other day from 1991....On the front page was Israel is talking peace with the Palestinians...............Nothing has changed from the time you were young. Kids Hate To Work.
Aaron Berk (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 13,783

Yes, they do. But when you go out and apply for a job you go and do it the best of your ability and you don't complain about how hard it is to the boss.

When I got my first job it was a tobacco dragger. Work sucked big time. I went there every day and did the work. I collected my check every week. The pay sucked, the work sucked, and I still went every day because it was my job. The next year came by and I decided that wasn't for me and I found another job. Which I went to day after day until the next job.

The new breed will go there, you tell them to dig a ditch or pick up a buttload of shingle scraps and after two hours they quit.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 08-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,670

Just don't hire the people that aren't supposed to be here, not real difficult but, some can't get over it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
JumboJack (08-21-2010), Tom Struble (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
Pro

i agree 100% warner its simple really
Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Yes, they do. But when you go out and apply for a job you go and do it the best of your ability and you don't complain about how hard it is to the boss.

When I got my first job it was a tobacco dragger. Work sucked big time. I went there every day and did the work. I collected my check every week. The pay sucked, the work sucked, and I still went every day because it was my job. The next year came by and I decided that wasn't for me and I found another job. Which I went to day after day until the next job.

The new breed will go there, you tell them to dig a ditch or pick up a buttload of shingle scraps and after two hours they quit.
go back in time and I guarantee guys were sitting around the general store, watching the horse carriages go by wondering why Leo isn't working as hard as they did!.
JT Wood (08-21-2010)
Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
If the Hispanic workers are taking over construction, it's not because they are cheaper or such marvelous craftsmen, it's because they actually show up every day and like the work.
Wow. Now THAT one hits at least one nail on the head. In my recent experience it seems to be only home-schooled kids that have these very basic virtues (and sometimes not all of that group)
Old 08-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

"The people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature."
James Garfield 1877 -20th President

Think about the above when thinking about our problem.

It's our fault, don't kid yourself. We let this happen because the people of this country were so worried about themselves they just let everything go to hell in a handbasket.

My parents made me work when i was a kid, we were dirt poor but had respect for everything good in life. We rode our bikes with no helmets and if we got hurt....tough sh##!

We were responsible at a young age, responsible for taking care of one another, through thick and thin we also protected one another. Not just at home but on the jobsite as well. That's absent anymore.

I'm a proud plumber that's for sure, but I'm even more proud to be part of the construction trade where real men get the work done. We do it with our hands, our feet and our back. Pay is minimal but the beauty outlasts all of us.

This morning I woke up at dark and when the sun started to crawl I knew I was in a great place and had a great career.

Kids nowadays wake up at the crack of noon and eat a pre-packaged breakfast then they hit the video games. Do these kids see the beauty we see in our work?

I don't know what the answer is, I just know that certain people "get it" and certain people "don't get it". You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink right?

When I got into plumbing my boss beat the daylights out of me all day every day. The goal was to see how bad I wanted to do it. In the modern era the apprentice calls the government authority and shuts the place down.

People are pansies, lets face it.

The greatest generation is almost gone now and it makes me sad. With this recession going on I hope this changes people perception of reality but I wont hold my breath.

You know who I will hire first? I want a 50 year old who doesn't run but is smart and knows how to pace himself without getting hurt. I want him to have that value system this country used to have and i'm sure he has it. I want to pay him above average because he has character and integrity. I want to give a 50 year old who lost his pension at a factory an apprenticeship. Find me this guy please, the older the better.

Don't get me wrong I want the young guys to make it but they have to do it,they have to want it, nothing you do can substitude a strong desire for success in construction.

I waited a long time to be a plumber, I begged, wrote letters and made phone calls pleading for it. I wanted it bad, real bad, bad enough to work for much lower wages.....and that was done on purpose also.

Yup, we did this to ourselves, and we are the only ones to fix it. The solution starts with the parents, and a society of people wanting to sacrifice themselves to get something worth having. Do this and we will have a great country again.

I want to follow the rules, the question is, does the rest of the entire population?

Mike
Aaron Berk (08-21-2010), parkers5150 (08-22-2010), Splinter hands (10-02-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: hack painting

My eldest son used to be about as lazy as a rock.

10 years in the US Navy later...

If he's here and notices the lawn needs mowed...he just DOES it!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Just thought of something

The crash of 1929 and the great depression gets talked about a lot and information on it is readily available.

What's interesting is the previous few years before the crash. Research this because it's interesting. It's an era known as the roaring 20's, and in this era products were being invented at a record pace....and everybody was buying well above their means. Loans were given out like it was water and the number one focus was party and spend, party and spend......then crash! It all came to an end.

What's the point of this? Well, this country had to rebuild and restructure. The mentality of people changed. It was this time that the great generation was born and raised. They were raised by parents who experienced tough times.

My hope is maybe this recession will change the hearts and minds of people, even if just a little bit, and the young will benefit through hard work.

I think this recession can be a benefit for young people, I really do. I think hard work is coming right around the corner, I think we are in a transition and at the same time a crossroads. This recession is far from over and the youth will get to experience it.

We may have some hope for our youth after all.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Richards View Post
My eldest son used to be about as lazy as a rock.

10 years in the US Navy later...

If he's here and notices the lawn needs mowed...he just DOES it!
Is he on drugs!!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
Pro

mikes plumbing in some parts of the world they are calling this recession the "great recession"

Advertisement