Propane Prices - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Propane Prices

Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 30

Propane Prices

Are you guys seeing a sharpe increase in propane prices too? 2-3 weeks back was 2.99 gal, small bottle fill, today it is 3.79 and one place called was 4.61. Crazy that it has to go up so much . But guess they say it is because the oil fields are pumping oil in the lines now instead of the propane . Just what we need is another higher business expense to deal with.

Guess need to start adding a surcharge to the job for that and fuel just like lot of places do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-11-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Re: Propane Prices

We've had a lot of demand for all heating fuels, when you need it bad they stick it to you

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlsconstruction For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (02-11-2014), Randy Bush (02-10-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,002

The prices went up to $4 here but they dropped yesterday back to normal. Maybe yalls will do the same.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiecontractor View Post
The prices went up to $4 here but they dropped yesterday back to normal. Maybe yalls will do the same.
Well now that is an encouraging bit of news.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Okiecontractor (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 284

My supplier is only giving out limited quantities to customers. 200 gallon max. The news is talking about 4-6 dollars but I just got 200 gallons at 1.50.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 72

Guys around here are saying around $4/gallon. Thankfully, we contracted for our home & shop at $1.59. So far, Ferrellgas is honoring the contracts.

I will be getting the wood furnace hooked up to the shop next year & will be buying a new wood furnace for the house & getting it setup to run through my furnace.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Pro

Here bulk propane and small bottle propane are to different prices. Use a fair amount to heat my work trailer and equipment during the winter.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Here bulk propane and small bottle propane are to different prices. Use a fair amount to heat my work trailer and equipment during the winter.
I haven't even priced bottle fill. Had a 100# cylinder filled in the fall & it's still full. Got 3 BBQ bottles that need filled, but they're gonna have to wait till prices come back to normal.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

I heat my house with propane. Last year was paying around 70 cents a litre. That's about $2.80 a gallon. Last month I got a bill for $720 for one month. It was $1.13 a litre. That's about $4.50 a gallon. I think I might be putting in a wood stove next year my self. That ridiculous. Ive heard its just a ploy to help get the xl pipeline approved. Don't know if it is true or not. Wouldn't put it past big business to pull a fast one to get something past. Here in Canada they have all but wiped out home heating with oil. We haven't built a house in 10 years that we installed an oil furnace. Insurance companies don't want oil tanks due to the high cost of a clean up in the case of a spill. Now that they have us all over the barrel so to speak, they can jack up the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to muskoka guy For This Useful Post:
dom-mas (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 1,092

They are high here from what I've read.

I heat my house, water, floors, and shop with my wood boiler.

Just got in from snowmobiling and I'm burning up, got the sliding door open.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka guy View Post
I heat my house with propane. Last year was paying around 70 cents a litre. That's about $2.80 a gallon. Last month I got a bill for $720 for one month. It was $1.13 a litre. That's about $4.50 a gallon. I think I might be putting in a wood stove next year my self. That ridiculous. Ive heard its just a ploy to help get the xl pipeline approved. Don't know if it is true or not. Wouldn't put it past big business to pull a fast one to get something past. Here in Canada they have all but wiped out home heating with oil. We haven't built a house in 10 years that we installed an oil furnace. Insurance companies don't want oil tanks due to the high cost of a clean up in the case of a spill. Now that they have us all over the barrel so to speak, they can jack up the price.
Why would the keystone xl have anything to do with it? Those tar sands are going to Houston and then to China.
The explanation I've heard is maintenance and some pipline breaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to catfish For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

Possibly taking up all the shipping. I saw a thing that showed some guy in Texas. He said there was no shortage of propane, just no way to ship it. Said they were burning it off. They were having trouble shipping wheat because all the trains were hauling oil.

Last edited by muskoka guy; 02-11-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

We bumped from $2.46 to $3.94 in a matter of 20 days. Attended a neighborhood meeting regarding power outages on Friday - folks said they ere being limited to 150 gallons max delivery.

Rumors had it that mid-state thru Grand Rapids, prices had risen to or were approaching $6/gallon (ow!).

When has a distributor of ANYTHING missed an opportunity to raise prices?

Consumers Energy assures us that they will have the new natural gas lines in place this June-July - the`same ones promised back in 1985.

So, we shall see...

Oh, and GM will be offering their CNG pickup come May, so I may be up for one of those!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,728

Fall fill here was about $1.40 and a couple a weeks ago it was over $5.50
Back in the $3.50 range now
Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
Thread Killer

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 236

Last year was about 2.50 per gal. Our last fill up 2 weeks ago was 3.80 per gal
Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

One way that I try to skin the cat regarding propane is to own my own 1,000 gal. tank. Here are some of the benefits ownership provides,first it allows me to shop out multiple suppliers,second the 1,000 gal. tank entices a provider to be willing to travel a touch further than usual. I do 99.9% of my heating with wood,the propane is only for hot water and the cook stove. Lastly,with that large of a tank I can take advantage of most companies summer fill program,then I'M good for over two years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
ChimneyHill (02-11-2014), muskoka guy (02-11-2014), SmallTownGuy (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: really?, Contractor Talk is for "Professionals"?
Rewards Points: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
One way that I try to skin the cat regarding propane is to own my own 1,000 gal. tank. Here are some of the benefits ownership provides,first it allows me to shop out multiple suppliers,second the 1,000 gal. tank entices a provider to be willing to travel a touch further than usual. I do 99.9% of my heating with wood,the propane is only for hot water and the cook stove. Lastly,with that large of a tank I can take advantage of most companies summer fill program,then I'M good for over two years.
You're a smart man.

I don't heat with propane, but if I did I'd install a 1,000gal tank as you did and own it. It's the only way you can beat the billionaires running the show at their game.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #18
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 20

I heard talk of supply issues on natural gas supply in Dover, DE. Is that happening elsewhere in the northeast?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 278

over $5 here

back in dec we payed around $1.20
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
One way that I try to skin the cat regarding propane is to own my own 1,000 gal. tank...... Lastly,with that large of a tank I can take advantage of most companies summer fill program,then I'M good for over two years.
We "owned" a tank for about 2 hours on an newly purchased income property 3 years ago.

But I have a question: Besides the fact that whatever propane distributor you use will insist that they provide the (certified) regulator, have you ever been given any guff about tank certification?

Advertisement