Principal Paid / Contracted MY Sub - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Principal Paid / Contracted MY Sub

Old 07-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

Trade: carpentry-painting-landscaping
Rewards Points: 2

Principal Paid / Contracted MY Sub

Hi, so I'm pretty new to contracting business, in third year. I did great doing smaller jobs with one other helper and I started taking bigger jobs, last year. I'm new to managing guys, as well. I never subbed out any job until this one.

The customer a home builder and a East Indian who I worked for in the past wanted me to do soffit, fascia, and eavestrough on his personal home he's remodeling. I stipulated in our contract that the land in our working areas be smoothed out and cleared of obstructions/large rocks before beginning. As well, ensure electricity turned off outside, and new exterior or under soffit lighting be installed before starting. He negotiated my original bid down $500, btw. Later, I asked the principal for extra money for structural repairs to the soffit in 2 areas and to install dripcap. And those extras was rejected.

Thinking I had got into a bad deal that wasn't priced right, and since the electrical and site work stipulations weren't met, I subbed out some of the work (complete soffit and fascia install, but not eavestrough), thinking it will save money. My sub, angry, that it was taking too long / wasn't making enough, my sub complained to the principal, demanding money, bad mouthing me too, even though the work was not completed / had deficiencies (my sub and i's contract was deficiencies must be fixed for nothing extra) --the agreement between I and principal and sub and I, was money paid when work finished. I bent over backwards to get cash for them, before their work was done, for food or whatever, I might add.

So when I'm not there they entered into their own contract with the principal, they got 2 payments totaling $800.00, and the work is still not finished, they tried to put my eavestroughs up (some over 50' long.) and damaged them. And the work is slipshod, messy, rushed, has to be redone.

In my meeting with the principal, he wanted me to list the numerous deficiencies. I say since you enter into a contract and paid my sub, (effectively cutting me out) that it is no longer my responsibility. I will need to be paid extra. And I said "you should check their work before paying." I think there is about $800 left sitting on the table of the original contract if you count the $800 he paid directly to the sub. I know now the sub are incapable and cash and quit types (deserve everything for nothing), but the principal I think is playing all nicey nice, offering them more work, work I would have got. (the principal is actually a real snake in the grass though, so I'll probably end my business relations with him; will never sign an actual written agreement)

Anyway, what should I do?? I just want to wash my hands of this be done and I want to get my money out of this deal.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 678

Re: Principal Paid / Contracted MY Sub

Well, that's confusing.

You had a verbal agreement with the owner, he didn't do what was agreed, wouldn't pay you, so you hired subs?

No agreement in writing with them either?

Sounds like you just need to walk away.

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Youre fighting over $800 of potential work? Its kind of like a cheating spouse best revenge is to let them have each other.

Btw, get it in writing. What, you might ask? Everything.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
NJGC (07-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Man, I'll trade you headaches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (07-21-2015), TNTRenovate (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 4,055

East Indian customer, 800$, carpenter - painter - landscaper. Man you sound like you are at top of game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tipitop For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (07-18-2015), NJGC (07-20-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 12,122

Oh crap. Tipi is in on this one. Now I have a headache. :grin
Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

I don't even know where to begin. Sounds like you are in over your head and need to put the shovel down and stop digging.

Cut your losses and walk.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (07-17-2015), NJGC (07-20-2015), SmallTownGuy (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor ~ Property Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,306

Time is money
I wouldn't waste $1,000 worth of time trying to collect $800. It's counterproductive.

The other thing, as a professional if you bid a job at say, $1,000, but the HO negotiates you down to say, $800, (everything else being equal), you still do the $1,000 job or don't lower your price.

Example, I agree to hang and finish drywall in a room for $1,000. HO wants it done for $800. I counter with, I can hang it for $800 and you can finish it yourself. I wouldn't agree to do the job for $800 and then look for cheaper ways to get it done.
66 Shelby (07-17-2015), NJGC (07-20-2015), ScipioAfricanus (07-19-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,686

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you had a stipulation in your contract about site prep, and it wasn't up to the contracts standards.....why did you start in the first place? You need to put your foot down immediately and show them that you are in charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TaylorMadeAB For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (07-17-2015), NJGC (07-20-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Head Light Bulb Changer

Trade: Renovation/Home Repair
Rewards Points: 216

I stopped reading when I got to 'East Indian' and 'Negotiated the price down $500'. Drop it and move on. I'm normally not a prejudicial kind of person, but that ethnic group has cost me nothing but headaches every single time I've worked for them. To be fair to them, it's in their culture to haggle. To be fair to me, it's NOT in my nature to haggle once a job scope and the price has been agreed upon and the contracts are signed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 66 Shelby For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (07-21-2015), jayweitekamp (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,566

So let me get this straight....the OP makes one friggin post about how he "boned el poocho" on this job and that's it?

Other key points of this post:
1. I've been a contractor for 3 years and I am new at it

2. I discounted my discount price

3. Because I discounted my discount price (because I am new at it), I
found a major league cheap ass hack to do the job, the job that I decided I wasn't cheap enough to do

4.Then cus the hack did a "cheap ass" job, I'm not happy, the HO isn't happy, and, I could use some more money from the HO who didn't want to pay my discount price to begin with.

5. DUH!!!!! What should I do now

Man....I am just going to have smoke some more crack to wrap my head around this one
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
JAH (07-17-2015), Jaws (07-23-2015), Kowboy (07-18-2015), NJGC (07-20-2015), ScipioAfricanus (07-19-2015), SmallTownGuy (07-17-2015), TNTRenovate (07-17-2015), Tom Struble (07-20-2015), TxElectrician (07-17-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,422

This is funny . You took a job you didn't want , for someone you didn't want to work for , at a price you didn't want, didn't actually do it , and turned it over to a bottomfeeder . And now you want to make sure you get what you have coming .

Keep this up, and you probably will.

Basically , you need to sit down, and start to think, real hard . get a pen and paper. Ask yourself :

What am I doing?

What kind of reputation do I want?

Where is my behavior taking me?

When will I retire , and what will get me there?

Not trying to slam you , I'm saying this because all of us work so hard, take so many risks and face so many challenges ....don't go down this road . abdicating unpleasant work so you can move on is no solution for anything and you are reaping what you sowed.

You are playing a dangerous game. This story has so many wrongs in it its frightening . I ll tell you one thing I can see...and I was a young gun once too, you aren't being selective in who you work for, holding your price, or being careful about choosing trade partners.

Now, lets look at the positive ..you have skill, repeat clients and some contract writing sense. You likely have a lot of promise ...don't throw it away.
The Following User Says Thank You to AGullion For This Useful Post:
SamM (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Shelby View Post
I stopped reading when I got to 'East Indian' and 'Negotiated the price down $500'. Drop it and move on. I'm normally not a prejudicial kind of person, but that ethnic group has cost me nothing but headaches every single time I've worked for them. To be fair to them, it's in their culture to haggle. To be fair to me, it's NOT in my nature to haggle once a job scope and the price has been agreed upon and the contracts are signed.
Done with them 10 years ago. I can not spend my time with that specimens when I can advertise at CL and get high quality customers.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
I can advertise at CL and get high quality customers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EricBrancard For This Useful Post:
66 Shelby (07-20-2015), NJGC (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Done with them 10 years ago. I can not spend my time with that specimens when I can advertise at CL and get high quality customers.
I how this was a joke. If not, remind me never to have you take me to a good steak place.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Jaws (07-23-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #16
Capra aegagrus

I've been doing work for six years now for a client I got on CL, and he pays well. Just saying...
Old 07-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I've been doing work for six years now for a client I got on CL, and he pays well. Just saying...
My main customer call me once in 2008 and from then I work for him. He own 15 duplexes and 2 buildings around U of MN. Right now I work for him from beginning of April and will be to 1. September. Every month over 200 hours. My oldest customer that I work for call me I think in 2005. Work for him still always. Former police inspector. Retired now he is flipping houses.
Btw that first guy is in business 26 years and keep me work for him still always after 7 years. Can not believe He didn't find no one with better grammar and especially with better painting skills.

Last edited by tipitop; 07-19-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #18
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
So you recommend it as a place to get high quality customers. Come on, get serious. Quality customers aren't looking at CL for quality contractors.

Yes I to have found a few in my early days but 90% of the inquiries were a joke.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #19
Hair Splitter

Quote:
My main customer call me once in 2008 and from then I work for him. He own 15 duplexes and 2 buildings around U of MN. Right now I work for him from beginning of April and will be to 1. September. Every month over 200 hours. My oldest customer that I work for call me I think in 2005. Work for him still always. Former police inspector. Retired now he is flipping houses.
Btw that first guy is in business 26 years and keep me work for him still always after 7 years. Can not believe He didn't find no one with better grammar and especially with better painting skills.
I've seen your posts on other threads, you are definitely a CL contractor getting paid CL contractor prices. Glad it works for you but most would be headed down the wrong road seeing quality customers from CL.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #20
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
So you recommend it as a place to get high quality customers.
Where did I say that? I simply said it can happen. As always, you have to do your own picking and choosing from what pops up. Same as super-optimized SEO.

Advertisement