Pricing/billing Handyman Services And Small Jobs - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Pricing/billing Handyman Services And Small Jobs

Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #1

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 56

Pricing/billing Handyman Services And Small Jobs

Hey everyone, I have started a home maintenance and repair business and I am unsure of how much to charge. I've been getting a lot of calls with people who have a punch list of a million little things they want done with each thing taking from 1 hour to 4 or 5 hours to complete. I don't want to sticker shock these people but I also don't want to end up making no money after I pay my taxes and expenses. So the question is -how do I bill these jobs? Do I give a price per task? Or do I give an hourly rate and move down the list and do everything and charge them at the end? I think about 50-60 an hour is the going rate in my area. For what it's worth, I am in New York about 2 or 3 hours north of the city. Prices of goods, services and taxes are high here.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
test

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2,611

Re: Pricing/billing Handyman Services And Small Jobs

honey to do lists are impossible to price and waste of time to price. I would just do hourly and avoid getting burnt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cedarboarder For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (10-17-2018), Thoff93 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,712

I disagree With the hourly wage so you donít get burnt notion.

Nobody wants To pay a handyman $100 an hour.

Who cares what the going rate is?

Line itemize everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (10-17-2018), Thoff93 (10-17-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

I like the simplicity of billing an hourly rate but I agree with mordekyle that it is harder to make good money doing that because people will be sticker shocked. vs just giving a fixed price they don't know what they are paying per hour. Maybe I can take all of the smallest things and lump them together for one price and make it easier. Then take the bigger jobs such as power wash the house or stain the deck and do them separately.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoff93 For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 638

IMO, it's virtually impossible to give a fixed quote on handyman-type work, since it's rarely a single definable job and always has the "while you're here" factor. Try to itemize before the job, then add "change orders" or whatever creative term you come up with for extra work, and you'll just get bogged down with paperwork and client irritation.

Charge an hourly rate that allows you to stay in business, deliver value for that rate, and word will spread.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
avenge (10-18-2018), B.D.R. (10-17-2018), jproffer (10-18-2018), onmywayup (10-18-2018), Robie (10-18-2018), rrk (10-17-2018), rselectric1 (10-17-2018), tgeb (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,518

In my area Handyman service (the franchise gig) they get $85 PerHr+Materials.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 880

From what you described, T&M only. You can do some math and take a guess at how much time and material might be involved but it will usually be more. Don't lock yourself down on undefined issues especially of the troubleshooting type. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
In my area Handyman service (the franchise gig) they get $85 PerHr+Materials.

Sounds like a good gig to me.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
Pro

I have a lot of recurring repairs, so I already have a ballpark in mind before I look at a job. If you pursue them, youíll figure out what your services are worth. If HOs could do the work, they would.

I do Lots of brick mold on exterior doors, jamb repairs, T1-11 repairs or replacement. Window trim or column repairs. Caulking butt joints on Hardie board. Small repairs.

As far as handyman type stuff, $25-30 to caulk a sink, tub, or toilet. $100 to clean a dryer vent, $2-400 for cleaning gutters. Several tasks can add up quick. No way Iím cleaning gutters for $85 an hour (which HO thinks is expensive) when I can do it for $300/hr. Theyíre happy to pay $250 and Iím happy to do it in 45 minutes.

PITA or occupied or affluence gets factored in. I also consider what may be considered ďreasonableĒ by a customer. I generally have a $70 minimum.

I mounted four TV brackets the other day for the first time ever, which included moving one existing to a new location. I thought $60 per was a ďreasonableĒ price for them to pay. A couple hours, some new skills, a reasonable rate, and a happy homeowner. Win/win.

One man show, so I perform most of the repairs. Itís possible to have some very profitable days.

Line itemization incentivizes me to be lean and efficient. All cordless helps me go fast.

If Iím working for slave wages of $60/ hr, what is my incentive to get the job done faster with the latest in technology, innovative techniques, and efficiency refined by years of experience?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
Thoff93 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
I have a lot of recurring repairs, so I already have a ballpark in mind before I look at a job. If you pursue them, youíll figure out what your services are worth. If HOs could do the work, they would.

I do Lots of brick mold on exterior doors, jamb repairs, T1-11 repairs or replacement. Window trim or column repairs. Caulking butt joints on Hardie board. Small repairs.

As far as handyman type stuff, $25-30 to caulk a sink, tub, or toilet. $100 to clean a dryer vent, $2-400 for cleaning gutters. Several tasks can add up quick. No way Iím cleaning gutters for $85 an hour (which HO thinks is expensive) when I can do it for $300/hr. Theyíre happy to pay $250 and Iím happy to do it in 45 minutes.

PITA or occupied or affluence gets factored in. I also consider what may be considered ďreasonableĒ by a customer. I generally have a $70 minimum.

I mounted four TV brackets the other day for the first time ever, which included moving one existing to a new location. I thought $60 per was a ďreasonableĒ price for them to pay. A couple hours, some new skills, a reasonable rate, and a happy homeowner. Win/win.

One man show, so I perform most of the repairs. Itís possible to have some very profitable days.

Line itemization incentivizes me to be lean and efficient. All cordless helps me go fast.

If Iím working for slave wages of $60/ hr, what is my incentive to get the job done faster with the latest in technology, innovative techniques, and efficiency refined by years of experience?

Yeah this makes a lot of sense. People get weird when you tell them the hourly rate. They act like they are hiring a high school kid to rake leaves after school or something. I was talking to someone I know who says he never hires someone who works hourly. He just wants to know how much it will cost to complete the job and not have to babysit anyone. I'm after good customers so I think this needs to be my angle. If I start working hourly I'm going to be out of business if the home owners get their way.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoff93 View Post
. I've been getting a lot of calls with people who have a punch list of a million little things they want done with each thing taking from 1 hour to 4 or 5 hours..

That tells me the demand exceeds the supply. You can do well pursuing the jobs other contractors find too small or difficult to estimate or schedule. Itís a good niche.

HO: When can you get started?

Me: Because I specialize in the small jobs, I can start next week.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,565

Try bundling by categories (if you want to bundle). It focuses more attention on what's being accomplished instead of price. Ex: exterior repairs as follows...., interior prep and painting....etc. etc.

Be prepared for how you'll address add-on's and "while you're here" stuff if you go that route. Paper is your friend, as in the process of writing down the extras and adding a charge. Don't be too casual/informal when this happens...stop and write it down. date, time, request, etc.

Last edited by MarkJames; 10-18-2018 at 05:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #13

Quote:
That tells me the demand exceeds the supply. You can do well pursuing the jobs other contractors find too small or difficult to estimate or schedule. Itís a good niche.

HO: When can you get started?

Me: Because I specialize in the small jobs, I can start next week.

In my area there are a lot of contractors but not many people doing general home repair or small jobs. I've been getting 1-2 calls a day from just a Craigslist ad with a link to a simple website. I think I will be very busy once I make a Facebook business page and get on home advisor nor Angie's list.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,850

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.R. View Post
Sounds like a good gig to me.

you would think so but there are tons of illegals doing it for $20
Old 10-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #15
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,426

Quote:
That tells me the demand exceeds the supply..........
It can also tell you everyone price shops.
MarkJames (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
you would think so but there are tons of illegals doing it for $20
There are plenty of folks that are willing to pay for legals with a professional appearance, insurance and any required license. Sounds like these are the ones the OP is after.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #17
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,268

For what it's worth, we have been doing small handyman jobs and honey-do list stuff by the hour for fifteen years. We have an hourly rate, but with a minimum total charge, to weed out the single item jobs that simply aren't worth drving to.

For any task that gets to that medium-large range, that is always always by the job. Written quote up front with deposit.

The people who get sticker shock were never going to be a good fit customer for us anyway. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised how many people are willing to pay significantly for your skills and experience. You're going to quickly find that almost nobody outside of our profession seems to know anything at all about how their own home works, and it quickly becomes like paying a car mechanic for them. Mechanics here are no less than $95 a man hour and I could easily make the case that we share the same amount of specialized knowledge (albeit of a different kind) than any mechanic.

Get comfortable quickly with not getting every single job you price. I promise, there are ALWAYS more people waiting for the moral, professional man with hustle. It took me until three or four years ago to finally let that sink in. Don't have to get every job to make money. In fact, I make more now getting 25%of our bids than I ever did getting 90% of the jobs. Do I do a lot more bids now? Yeap. But I also have real money in my pocket for the first time in my 35 ****in ' years.

Last edited by onmywayup; 10-18-2018 at 07:02 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (10-18-2018), Mordekyle (10-18-2018), Thoff93 (10-18-2018), TxElectrician (10-18-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayup View Post
For what it's worth, we have been doing small handyman jobs and honey-do list stuff by the hour for fifteen years. We have an hourly rate, but with a minimum total charge, to weed out the single item jobs that simply aren't worth drving to.

For any task that gets to that medium-large range, that is always always by the job. Written quote up front with deposit.

The people who get sticker shock were never going to be a good fit customer for us anyway. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised how many people are willing to pay significantly for your skills and experience. You're going to quickly find that almost nobody outside of our profession seems to know anything at all about how their own home works, and it quickly becomes like paying a car mechanic for them. Mechanics here are no less than $95 a man hour and I could easily make the case that we share the same amount of specialized knowledge (albeit of a different kind) than any mechanic.

Get comfortable quickly with not getting every single job you price. I promise, there are ALWAYS more people waiting for the moral, professional man with hustle. It took me until three or four years ago to finally let that sink in. Don't have to get every job to make money. In fact, I make more now getting 25%of our bids than I ever did getting 90% of the jobs. Do I do a lot more bids now? Yeap. But I also have real money in my pocket for the first time in my 35 ****in ' years.
Well said. I'm curious how far you travel (time or distance) for the minimum total charge jobs.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #19
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,268

The distance I'm willing to travel is really the only thing that changes to reflect an up or down economy. For instance, these past three years, I've narrowed down our territory so tight that I can't remember the last time I sat in traffic going to or coming from a job. But around here there is so much work to be had that we can do that.

Years ago, when we had to search a little harder for work, I had a forty five minute radius. That was my max.

Our minimum charge is $325, and as long as I'm not driving more than a half hour each way, it pretty much works out. Some better, some worse.

How far do you guys travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Well said. I'm curious how far you travel (time or distance) for the minimum total charge jobs.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by onmywayup View Post
The distance I'm willing to travel is really the only thing that changes to reflect an up or down economy. For instance, these past three years, I've narrowed down our territory so tight that I can't remember the last time I sat in traffic going to or coming from a job. But around here there is so much work to be had that we can do that.

Years ago, when we had to search a little harder for work, I had a forty five minute radius. That was my max.

Our minimum charge is $325, and as long as I'm not driving more than a half hour each way, it pretty much works out. Some better, some worse.

How far do you guys travel?

25 minutes/15 miles, generally.

I add a little bit if I make it further.

Iíll travel a bit more to work with a new realtor. If s/he has a listing 30 minutes away, Iíll go look at it/estimate it to make the connection.

Advertisement