Pressure Washing And Window Seals. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Pressure Washing And Window Seals.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Pressure Washing And Window Seals.

Met with a customer today about a few jobs on his rental house and he was telling me how he wasn't mad about it but wasn't happy he had to change out 18 pieces of insulated glass. He said the glass company told him it was from us pressure washing the house and using bleach. Not sure how it is everywhere else but around here there are a few windows in every house that is fogged up, most of which were never washed by anyone. There was a company that was replacing them under warranty for a while from what I heard because they had made so many bad ones.

I have been pressure washing for over 10 years and have never damaged anything and not to my knowledge every blown the seal on any windows. I know the owner of the glass company that went out and plan on talking to him on Monday about his guys accusing us of causing the seals the fail in 18 windows. We never wash the windows with any pressure, they get soap rinse and washed from an angle from far enough away where they just get misted to rinse them.

This house is about 12 years old and we have washed it twice in the last 3 years. My customer is cool and said he's not worried about it but I don't want him thinking we are the cause of it. From now on I am taking pictures of job sites before we do anything. I have pressure washed tons of houses over the years and have never had a call back about windows, not even questioning the possibility.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 2,422

Re: Pressure Washing And Window Seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorHIP View Post
Met with a customer today about a few jobs on his rental house and he was telling me how he wasn't mad about it but wasn't happy he had to change out 18 pieces of insulated glass. He said the glass company told him it was from us pressure washing the house and using bleach. Not sure how it is everywhere else but around here there are a few windows in every house that is fogged up, most of which were never washed by anyone. There was a company that was replacing them under warranty for a while from what I heard because they had made so many bad ones.

I have been pressure washing for over 10 years and have never damaged anything and not to my knowledge every blown the seal on any windows. I know the owner of the glass company that went out and plan on talking to him on Monday about his guys accusing us of causing the seals the fail in 18 windows. We never wash the windows with any pressure, they get soap rinse and washed from an angle from far enough away where they just get misted to rinse them.

This house is about 12 years old and we have washed it twice in the last 3 years. My customer is cool and said he's not worried about it but I don't want him thinking we are the cause of it. From now on I am taking pictures of job sites before we do anything. I have pressure washed tons of houses over the years and have never had a call back about windows, not even questioning the possibility.
Unless you personally washed the entire house I would say don't underestimate the depths of stupidity an employee will sink to when no one is watching.

Advertisement

SuperiorHIP (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

There is a strong possibility that an employee got too close with too much pressure but with the experience i have had with cleaning windows and pressure washing i think you will find after 12yrs of sitting i the hot sun and other elements that the seals have failed on their own due to cheap quality materials. I have seen windows fog just from using a garden hose and a squeegee to clean them. I know cheap windows in my area are known to fail early and you end up with fogging, the loss of gas in between panes and basically a wind tunnel with heat loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchuck2 For This Useful Post:
SuperiorHIP (08-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

i wouldn't doubt that residual cleaning solution trapped in a sash frame pocket can cause or accelerate a seal failure,thing is they will all fail eventually,it's really just a matter of time
GRB (08-05-2012), SuperiorHIP (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Pro

I have always only had one employee and he was been with me since I started, I have trained him and he is a good guy who I trust completely. I talked to him about it and said he never gets close (he does it just like I do).
This wouldn't be an issue if the guys at the glass company didn't blame this solely on us and I could have had it a lot easier proving my point if I had taken before pictures to note the homes condition before we start.
As for the bleach affecting the seals, most windows we deal with are aluminum and from I can tell they are usually sealed up pretty darn good and it would be difficult to get the seals wet without getting some water inside of the unit as well. I could be wrong about this.
I am tearing out a couple of door units tomorrow that are made up of about 40 small double insulated panels. I am going to save a dozen or so of these and do some experimentation with them to see what I can do break the seals on them.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

may i recommend a DWHT51138?
Attached Thumbnails
Pressure washing and window seals.-0525021805.jpg  
SuperiorHIP (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

I never pressure washed my windows. I have a patio slider with 6" of liquid water between the two panes.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
may i recommend a DWHT51138?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Pro

Would probably want something a little tougher than a dewalt tool!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

The seals were probably failed already, but nobody noticed until you got the area around them wet, and then they took in moisture.

On cheap windows insulated glass units can fail in 10 years, and they all will fail eventually.

Advertisement

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
The Following User Says Thank You to hdrider_chgo For This Useful Post:
SuperiorHIP (08-05-2012)