"Precious" Clients - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

"Precious" Clients

Old 06-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,103

"Precious" Clients

One of my very good clients of many years is about to have their kids return to the area, and will likely have a house purchased for them by mommy and daddy. To be frank, the kids have been raised as oh-so-special, pretentious snots, and I had enough of their condescension from earlier jobs when they were home.

Anybody experienced something like this? I'm inclined to just say no for anything kid-related, but it's probably going to hurt the relationship with the parents.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,242

Re: "Precious" Clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
One of my very good clients of many years is about to have their kids return to the area, and will likely have a house purchased for them by mommy and daddy. To be frank, the kids have been raised as oh-so-special, pretentious snots, and I had enough of their condescension from earlier jobs when they were home.

Anybody experienced something like this? I'm inclined to just say no for anything kid-related, but it's probably going to hurt the relationship with the parents.
Once. My parade house last year was for one of our first clients daughter's. Her trust fund financed the house. I was her only interview.

During construction she married a close friend, one of my closest. A builder lol.

We are great friends, just had dinner together

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-09-2019), MarkJames (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16,480

I have enough on my plate. I certainly don't take on another's internal family issues.

Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Pro

I just remembered another odd client. Imagine working for a woman (divorced) mid 40-'s, with kids, but all the arrangements and detail questions went through her mother who didn't live there. That was a goofy situation, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,578

Ah the trust fund b***h (can I say it here?) syndrome. It's everywhere. Some parents will literally go broke while trying to live vicariosly through their kids. The parents pick up "hip" phrases from the kids and the kids are clueless. I consider it a twisted model of the dysfunctional family but dysfunctional nonetheless.

Nothing wrong with helping your kids until you turn them helpless. You're not going to live forever and the money is going to run out.....then what?
Jaws (06-09-2019), MarkJames (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
Ah the trust fund b***h (can I say it here?) syndrome. It's everywhere. Some parents will literally go broke while trying to live vicariosly through their kids. The parents pick up "hip" phrases from the kids and the kids are clueless. I consider it a twisted model of the dysfunctional family but dysfunctional nonetheless.

Nothing wrong with helping your kids until you turn them helpless. You're not going to live forever and the money is going to run out.....then what?
I can understand paying for education, and leaving wealth when you die, beyond that I have no idea why a parent would think it is prudent to help a child financially. Meaning an adult child.

I borrowed money from my dad one time. $310. For an electric bill when I Was A Bachelor. I had to work it off.. I have never borrowed money from my dad sense. I need credit if I would go to the bank. Like he did.

It's pretty nice knowing our educations, although mine did not come with a piece of paper, are ours and ours alone. Paid for by ourselves. Everything I own, everything I ever will own, comes for my effort and my risk.

Education I have gotten from my dad could not be paid for, and is worth more than any college education I could have paid for. He gave that willingly, and I am appreciative.

But it did not come with a monetary cost nor would I have allowed that to have happened. I have always stood on my own two feet. I hope my kids are of the same mindset, because Beyond paying for their college they need to take care of themselves. We're not put on Earth to support our children to adulthood.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
spazman (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I can understand paying for education, and leaving wealth when you die, beyond that I have no idea why a parent would think it is prudent to help a child financially. Meaning an adult child.

I borrowed money from my dad one time. $310. For an electric bill when I Was A Bachelor. I had to work it off.. I have never borrowed money from my dad sense. I need credit if I would go to the bank. Like he did.

It's pretty nice knowing our educations, although mine did not come with a piece of paper, are ours and ours alone. Paid for by ourselves. Everything I own, everything I ever will own, comes for my effort and my risk.

Education I have gotten from my dad could not be paid for, and is worth more than any college education I could have paid for. He gave that willingly, and I am appreciative.

But it did not come with a monetary cost nor would I have allowed that to have happened. I have always stood on my own two feet. I hope my kids are of the same mindset, because Beyond paying for their college they need to take care of themselves. We're not put on Earth to support our children to adulthood.

You hit it right there. Adult child. This happens nowhere in the natural world. Once you leave the nest....you feed yourself.

The parents are as much to blame as the kids. I've seen a few of these situations end badly
Jaws (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #8
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
You hit it right there. Adult child. This happens nowhere in the natural world. Once you leave the nest....you feed yourself.

The parents are as much to blame as the kids. I've seen a few of these situations end badly
Very true, sir. Nowhere else in the natural Kingdom would this happen

John
Old 06-10-2019, 12:34 AM   #9
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 16,480

Teach your kids to fish.

Mike.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:06 AM   #10
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Teach your kids to fish.

Mike.

John
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 AM   #11
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,196

Quote:

Not my place to judge.

All kinds of people out there with pretentious, condescending attitudes.

I've kicked "customers" to the curb for that - depends.

Question though: does the clients money spend?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Not my place to judge.

All kinds of people out there with pretentious, condescending attitudes.

I've kicked "customers" to the curb for that - depends.

Question though: does the clients money spend?

This IS our place to judge!

The money spends, but the soap opera b.s. will have a cost. Add that to part about them needing a bit too much explanation and conversation for every little problem or project, anyhow, if you know those types. This is another layer on the cake.

Last edited by MarkJames; 06-10-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,390

Quote:
This IS our place to judge!

The money spends, but the soap opera b.s. will have a cost. Add that to part about them needing a bit too much explanation and conversation for every little problem or project, anyhow, if you know those types. This is another layer on the cake.
Aahhh... the PITA factor... one way to look at it... at least you know in advance how much of it to account for while keeping your main clients happy...

Can't always say we're in that position... sometimes we find out after the fact and it's hard to slip that PITA upcharge in...

Who knows... maybe they'll surprise you and you'll end up refunding it and being a hero to Mom & Dad...

What?!... It could happen...

Last edited by KAP; 06-10-2019 at 06:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #14
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 7,196

Quote:
The money spends, but the soap opera b.s. will have a cost.......
There ya go.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,614

Nothing a stiff poke in the whiskers can't fix....
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #16
Pro

Charge appropriately.

You never know, Muffy may have a thing for sweaty landscapers. Ask her.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #17
Pro

The trust fund babies I've known have either been losers. Who didn't have to flip burgers because if the checks, or they were genuinely nice people.

The adult losers were losers as kids, and they never had to grow out of it.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
The Sheriff

Most of my clients, if not basically all are millionaires. Many are quite wealthy.

I have observed over the years most of their adult kids are not snowflakes. One of our oldest clients has one of the oldest and largest homes on Applehwad Island, they've had it for about 40 years. If I had to guess with the size of the house, outdoor living and the size of the lot on Open Water LBJ I would say it's probably worth 8 million bucks. It is not even a second home for them.

The owner is third generation wealthy, and third generation oil man. No telling what he's worth, his boat in California is worth more than most of my clients net worth probably. He is a very hard worker, you can tell a Type A personality type of guy.. dots every I crosses every T. Certainly not lazy.

He has three kids, two boys and a girl. One of the boys was a attack helicopter pilot and served in Iraq. All three of his children have run divisions in his company, and his oldest son started another company under the family umbrella. Apparently it's very successful, some kind of oil supply company. His sister started a capital fund group using the family's money and getting other investors and it's very successful. She operates out of Dallas. The oldest son is probably 10 years older than I am, 45 or so. He just took over as president of all of their companies. He also owns a house on applehead Island now, as a second home. He is a frequent user of it.

All three very respectful, exude confidence and competence. The older son returns my pre 5 am emails within minutes often - even on vacation.

Nothing about them says spoiled.

This is not unheard of, in fact the stereotypical spoiled snowflake is less common in my experience.

The more common between these two Polar Opposites is people who are both spoiled and respectful at the same time. You can just tell that they have always ridden those coattails. LOL. Nothing special or flagrantly wrong

Now I will say the younger children are some of my younger clients are sometimes absolutely horrendous. Takes everything in my power to not want to throw them an ass whipping and toss them in a corner for a little while. Lol

John

Last edited by Jaws; 06-11-2019 at 09:54 AM.
hdavis (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #19
The Sheriff

BTW, talking about these adult children, they always pay their own bill, whether with their money or parents money or trust fund money I have no idea. Checks cash though. LOL

Only had the one client pay for my trust fund account.

John
hdavis (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #20
Pro

Oil patch people seem to be their own breed, just like a lot of Texans.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-11-2019)