Pre Construction Services- Selections - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Pre Construction Services- Selections

Old 01-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 188

Pre Construction Services- Selections

Ok, so Ive sold a new design agreement this week on a remodel. Really only sold three of these so far, and the first two were not as in depth as this one.

Part of the "pre construction services agreement" was the ability to make all selections pre project, for both schedule and budgeting/feasability.

NOW I GOTTA DELIVER ON IT. Obviously I've got a running list of selections they need to make, but Im wondering if just sending them a basic list is appropriate.

Do you guys have any procedures setup to organize the selection process pre job? Maybe forms?

Its one area that Im really slacking on, with a project that isn't drawn up by an Archy or interior designer...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,856

Re: Pre Construction Services- Selections

What did you do for the first two?

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,752

It sounds like youre basically making MEP/miscellanies schedules.

For the most part that system works in architecture, why not simulate it, Use a plan/diagram of each room and tag items with a code, some details may be better suited to interior elevations but you could diagram those also or just cram it all on a floor plan.

You could also skip the floor plan and just use an excel spreadsheet for the schedule with product cost, manufacturer, lead times, color, link to spec sheet etc...

I like this style I found on google that has a reference image such that the palette becomes visible on one page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 860

I like to spec out most of the materials myself first, going with stuff I am familiar with and know will perform. Then sit down with the client and run through the list / schedule talking about each and every item, explaining why you recommend this or that.

Of course, they have the option to change anything, but I've found most appreciate the guidance and really only want to get picky and very involved on a few key items.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,746

It all depends on what you charge for it how sophisticated it needs to be. Used to just send a list and a calendar saying when each selection need to be made by. They did it themselves, I would recommend a decorator

Now we have a full-time employee whose main priority is doing selections for clients. She has a Word document that she uses to fill out a custom selection list. She includes model numbers, pictures Etc. Everything from grout colors to grout joint widths, cabinet knobs, door hardware, drywall texture excetera. Windows will actually show an elevation of the window and a model number Etc. Same thing with exterior doors. Same thing with interior doors and trim. Etc

Obviously charge quite a bit more for selections than we did before. It is also not an option to not use that service if you hire our company. I'm not waiting on a decorator or anyone else to make selections and send me the information.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
Old 01-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,746

This is an example of ours printed out - she keeps it updated in Dropbox for everyone. At the end of the job we print it out and make a book for the client

John
Old 01-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,594

We don't to the same look book as Jaws but we do similar with a spread sheet with every item, with item numbers, models, mnf., color, finish, etc. And then a selection sheet per room of all the pretty pictures of the faucets, tub, toilet, cabinets, etc. Both are broken up by room. On our end we include a lead time and supplier so we can make sure it is ordered on time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan_Watson For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 188

what have I done before? Well I guess you could say, sell it and not deliver the full pre con services. Not a bad thing or a black eye. Customers were still super happy with the experience, but part of my initial meeting this time, a good deal of time was spent on the subject, especially in regards to finishes, not entirely MEP, etc.

I appreciate the replies above Duburban and Jaws, I am going to spend some time looking over those photos and I believe dropbox or builder trend will be the hub for the list. Interested in seeing how its laid out in your photos.

Last edited by LPG; 01-25-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
This is an example of ours printed out - she keeps it updated in Dropbox for everyone. At the end of the job we print it out and make a book for the client [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190125/c812011444ee4c69d70f306edd15f65e.jpg[/I

Push lock tub drains suck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Jaws (01-25-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 764

We have a spreadsheet that is shared with the customer (occasionally with their decorator) via Dropbox that lists everything the client needs to select or approve. This list is also shared with my vendor reps, so they have an idea of the allowances Ive used in the proposal. The reps will try to keep the client focused on the allowance amount, but the ultimate decision is up to the client.

Like Fishindude, I always put something in as an allowance and it's usually items weve used before and are familiar with. A lot of the items initially specd are simply OKd by the client (they really dont care what shut-off valve they get or who manufactures the LEDs for undercabinet lighting).

Ill see if I can get a screenshot of our spreadsheet posted later today. It runs out width wise pretty far and may not be readable. Well see what happens.

Advertisement

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaVinciRemodel For This Useful Post:
mrcat (01-27-2019), SouthonBeach (01-27-2019)