Poor Quality Subcontractor Work. Course Of Action? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Poor Quality Subcontractor Work. Course Of Action?

Old 12-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,686

Poor Quality Subcontractor Work. Course Of Action?

I've been really lucky so far as to find quality subs, who have the same standards that I do.
I'm doing a main floor gut and remodel, on the drywall and taping stage now. Due to scheduling and size of the job I had to find a new boarder for this one. The taper gave me the number to a guy that he works with regularity.
Basically from the beginning this boarder has been a pain in my ass. He delayed me almost 2 weeks with a different excuse every day. Finally he showed up and did the job, but I (stupidly) didn't make the time to check his work before I met with him for payment.
I showed up today to meet the taper on his last day, and start the cabinets. The boarder had covered FOUR electrical boxes, out of maybe 25 total. He used fine thread screws on wood studs, left a pretty big mess, and did a crappy job furring out a wall. Ultimately it was my fault that I didn't check up on him, and I'll never make that mistake again. It was a pretty basic job, and he sure talked himself up, I thought he could handle it.
Obviously I won't be using him again, but what do you guys do in this situation? Is it even worth calling him and chewing him out? I don't need any compensation from him, but it really chaps my ass that he works like this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Re: Poor Quality Subcontractor Work. Course Of Action?

Quote:
but I (stupidly) didn't make the time to check his work before I met with him for payment.
I did that once.

Next?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
ohiohomedoctor (12-16-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,006

If you are not seeking financial recourse let it go.

He knows he's a fu&k up and you chewing azz just drops you down to his level.

Consider it you just paid for some more tuition...
antonioooooooo (12-10-2015), brhokel606 (12-10-2015), CompleteW&D (12-09-2015), EthanB (12-09-2015), muskoka guy (12-10-2015), SmallTownGuy (12-09-2015), TaylorMadeAB (12-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

I might have a mild come to Jesus talk with the taper that recommended him though. Not to chew him out necessarily, because his work is probably harder with all the screw ups. Come to think of it, he probably already feels bad that someone he recommended messed you up.

Maybe Griz is right.... might be best to let it go.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

I wouldn't worry about chewing his azz or come to Jesus or anything, but I might say, "If you want to get repeat business from contractors like me then you need to learn your profession and act like a professional. Your work doesn't meet my standards, and I don't plan to hire you for any more work." Some guys who are screw ups know it, but they don't know that everyone else knows it, and being told so has some chance of getting them to change their ways.

If the idea is that you want to vent about it, don't bother; just lose his number.
aaron_a (12-10-2015), brhokel606 (12-10-2015), TaylorMadeAB (12-10-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 682

Have to agree with the others; it's a lesson you probably won't repeat. Not worth chewing him out and essentially admitting you were dumb enough to buy a pig in a poke, so to speak.

But educate me. What's wrong with using fine thread screws?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Have to agree with the others; it's a lesson you probably won't repeat. Not worth chewing him out and essentially admitting you were dumb enough to buy a pig in a poke, so to speak.

I don't think they grab as well as course thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
TaylorMadeAB (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post

I was always taught that they have more likelihood to pop through the mud and paint, like the old ring shanks. It's more frustrating because I had the proper screws sitting right there for him to use. He had to move the bags of screws to get at the drywall!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
I might have a mild come to Jesus talk with the taper that recommended him though. Not to chew him out necessarily, because his work is probably harder with all the screw ups. Come to think of it, he probably already feels bad that someone he recommended messed you up.

Maybe Griz is right.... might be best to let it go.

He is the taper's cousin actually, so it's a bit of a conflict of interest.
I don't think I'll call him though.
Just out of curiosity, how much luck have you guys had with back charging subs in the past?
Old 12-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

He who holds the money holds the power. If the job is done not to par, they are giving a chance to correct it to your satisfaction. If it isn't, the work is done at cost plus and deducted off the top. I used to work for a very large company who would backcharge all the subs for garbage removal if they as much as put a candy wrapper in the bin. They basically just divided it up amongst the subs. Really no recourse did the subs ever have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muskoka guy For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (12-14-2015), TaylorMadeAB (12-11-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMadeCon View Post
I was always taught that they have more likelihood to pop through the mud and paint, like the old ring shanks.
Interesting. I've experienced nail pops, but never screw pops unless the wood was sopping wet when they were sunk. I have my doubts there's a significant difference in grabbing power between coarse & fine as far as holding drywall to a stud, but I admit to not having tons of experience in that respect.

But I certainly wouldn't use my own screws rather than yours unless (for instance) I was going into really hard old wood. In that instance, fine threads just work better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
antonioooooooo (12-10-2015), TaylorMadeAB (12-11-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: framing, finishing.
Rewards Points: 429

Realistically those fine thread aren't going to make a difference. I've used self tappers into wood and they've been fine over years. It's whatever is kicking around in your pouch. Covering boxes is a joke. You should know right away something is wrong. Big buldges where you're trying to screw...
Old 12-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonioooooooo View Post
Realistically those fine thread aren't going to make a difference. I've used self tappers into wood and they've been fine over years. It's whatever is kicking around in your pouch. Covering boxes is a joke. You should know right away something is wrong. Big buldges where you're trying to screw...

I guess it's more the principle of the thing. They were right there for him, and there was no reason to use the fine. On its own it wouldn't have bugged me, but combined with everything else it's pretty bad.
It was even worse that he covered the boxes because some of them were the only light switches in a room. If he had looked around for a second he would've seen that the room had no way to turn the lights on.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Keep your mouth shut. Hire him again on next job,just so you can have the pleasure of firing him before coffee the first day.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
TaylorMadeAB (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Keep your mouth shut. Hire him again on next job,just so you can have the pleasure of firing him before coffee the first day.

If I cared less about my schedules, I would consider it!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,974

For wood I always use coarse screws. Metal studs = fine thread. But...I've always heard that fine thread screws are better to use and are less likely to pull out. The reasoning is because of how many more threads are catching with the fine threads.

I can definitely see this with metal studs. For wood I find it harder to believe. I do know that if you try to pull them out with a hammer, they are both difficult to pull out.

For myself, I wouldn't say anything to him. You calling him to complain won't improve his quality of work. I just keep my mouth shut and don't call or recommend people like that.
Then again, if you feel like he is a good person/worker and could benefit from learning about his mistakes, you could always call him and hope he will learn something.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
TaylorMadeAB (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #17
Randy Lahey

Trade: Construction Management/Latherer/Civil Engineer
Rewards Points: 146

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how much luck have you guys had with back charging subs in the past?
Its really all about keeping a paper trail. Most subs will not go to court with you unless they know you dont have proper documentation.

On commercial jobs I would probably have sent him notice that he's delaying your schedule, also sent hima notice of non-conformance, an NCR to go along with it. For that, it needs to all be spelled out in contract.

But since you said you already paid him, I dont think its worth doing anything much, just let it serve you as a lesson for the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYC_Line7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 635

Quote:
I've been really lucky so far as to find quality subs, who have the same standards that I do.
I'm doing a main floor gut and remodel, on the drywall and taping stage now. Due to scheduling and size of the job I had to find a new boarder for this one. The taper gave me the number to a guy that he works with regularity.
Basically from the beginning this boarder has been a pain in my ass. He delayed me almost 2 weeks with a different excuse every day. Finally he showed up and did the job, but I (stupidly) didn't make the time to check his work before I met with him for payment.
I showed up today to meet the taper on his last day, and start the cabinets. The boarder had covered FOUR electrical boxes, out of maybe 25 total. He used fine thread screws on wood studs, left a pretty big mess, and did a crappy job furring out a wall. Ultimately it was my fault that I didn't check up on him, and I'll never make that mistake again. It was a pretty basic job, and he sure talked himself up, I thought he could handle it.
Obviously I won't be using him again, but what do you guys do in this situation? Is it even worth calling him and chewing him out? I don't need any compensation from him, but it really chaps my ass that he works like this.
This is where the ubiquitous camera world comes into play because even if you cannot get to a site a sub should provide pics with no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyvorima For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 11,202

Quote:
If I cared less about my schedules, I would consider it!

Real simple,have your real pick scheduled for the very next day.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #20
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

You should look at a mirror and chew that guy out.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (12-16-2015)