Permits - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Permits

Old 09-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Residential Remodeler

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 18
Angry

Permits

Just curious on anybodies thoughts about turning in folks working without permits. I've recently lost a few jobs to low-ballers and now their working without permits!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Permits

Turn them in. not a doubt in my mind.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
mgams (09-09-2009)
Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster
Rewards Points: 2,000

In the interest of public safety - not because of sour grapes - turn 'em in.

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Celtic For This Useful Post:
ampman (09-09-2009), CScalf (09-10-2009), mgams (09-09-2009), roofmaven (09-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

I would first make sure there are no permits on the job before you make a stink.

I have a red failure sticker (blank) and I am saving it for exactly the situation you are speaking of. Tag that sticker on the door and write "call the building dept immediately to avoid further fines". They will turn themselves in with that phone call asking for forgiveness from the inspector.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HSConstruction For This Useful Post:
BKFranks (09-09-2009), Celtic (09-09-2009), CookeCarpentry (09-09-2009), CScalf (09-10-2009), J F (09-10-2009), mgams (09-09-2009), rbsremodeling (09-10-2009)
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 412

Turn them in and the HO.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevjob For This Useful Post:
ampman (09-09-2009)
Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I have turned in many a project... In fact I have never turned in one I "lost" trust me by the time I get done meeting with someone they will either hire me or another good licensed contractor.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,538

there is no way I'll turn my folks in-that may create a lot of animosity during Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #8

Trade: General Contractor, Woodworker
Rewards Points: 75

Turn them in- multiple reasons. The playing field needs to be level- either you turn them in, or you agree that some people should get a cost advantage just because they decide to take it. The lowball hacks do unsafe work, are generally ripping off their clients- who are too stupid or too greedy to see they are cheating the future owners of the houses, too. Then there's safety. Then there's the added costs and regulations to doing business, primarily created by the hack jobs done under the radar who will never pay any of the costs of being legally in business.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrans View Post
Turn them in- multiple reasons. The playing field needs to be level- either you turn them in, or you agree that some people should get a cost advantage just because they decide to take it. The lowball hacks do unsafe work, are generally ripping off their clients- who are too stupid or too greedy to see they are cheating the future owners of the houses, too. Then there's safety. Then there's the added costs and regulations to doing business, primarily created by the hack jobs done under the radar who will never pay any of the costs of being legally in business.
I enjoy this forum most of the time. And I agree that it is to our advantage to report unpermitted and unlicensed work. But I continue to have a problem with seeing so many irrational statements.

In any argument or discussion we can weaken our position with comments based upon little more than our reactionary responses. None of what I marked in red above is anything any of us can possibly state as a fact in any instance with which we do not have first-hand knowledge.

At least, let us say the plain truth. "They piss me off because I choose to pay fees they ignore." A simple fact. In reality, we seldom know a blessed thing about the "hacks" we scream so loudly about. We only know that we wish we, ourselves, didn't choose to fork out cash they keep in their pockets.

And lest you think I'm turning a blind eye to shoddy work, let me say this. I have been in construction many years longer than most of you. The last 28 as a heavy fee paying GC. I have seen tons of lousy work. But you know what? The blame can often as not be laid at the feet of licensed contractors as it can unlicensed.

And I have seen some excellent work turned out by unlicensed brothers-in-law doing unpermitted jobs. So can we manage to be a little more rationally directed in our rants? It will sure help the public reading our posts to see us with a more mature eye.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-10-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,040

Before i never paid much attention since the hacks tended to work with the rif raft i knew would'nt pay us for our work, but now i'm seeing a huge trend of losing work to these bums working under the radar because they're driving market pricing below poverty level and often leaving a wake of chit in their path, so now my eye's are constantly peeled looking for unmarked trucks with tools sitting out/material sitting out. i already have all the local building departments #'s on speed dial for inspection call in's, and i'm not hesitant one bit to place a call to shut a jobsite down and make sure the HO and/or hack get fined double and then have the job rakded through the coals and gone over with a fine tooth comb from that point on....i hang out with a hand full of local inspectors and they LOVE it when they snag people like this, and say they make it their mission to find every little deviation of code to nail'em on to make life miserable.

The inspectors know how the game works and how the hacks ruin it for the rest of us, so they're all for shutting them down too
Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
Residential Remodeler

Thanks for everyone's comments. I called the inspections office, turned in the guys and stop work orders were posted. Apparently one of the home owners called the inspections office and the inspector gave him my name. Now I have a pissed off home owner calling me.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Fentoozler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgams View Post
Now I have a pissed off home owner calling me.
Who says you have to answer the phone?

To go one step further, let the HO they are bordering on harassment...and depending on the actual context of the call, maybe even terrorism ~ yup...the Big "T".

Let them know: Ya mess with the bull, ya get the horns.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
Pro

They are not playing by the rules and YOU are the bad guy? Tell them you can make all the problems go away for your original bid plus 30% to take apart what has been done... plus the fine of course.

Why would the inspector give them your name?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
Residential Remodeler

That I can't figure out. I don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Starving Tile Artist

Trade: Carpentry, Flooring & (UGLY) Tile installs.
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgams View Post
That I can't figure out. I don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder!
Some municipalities adhere to the Freedom of Information Act and an accused persons right to face their accuser.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
Pro

You did the right thing, just walk softly and carry a big stick.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: property manager & renovator

Can't resist presenting the contrary side, which is: Whose house is this anyway? It's the HO's. It's called private property. To do with as he pleases. His house is not your business. What he does with his house is not your business. Or we might as well just invite the commies to come run the place.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
Fentoozler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_cntrctr View Post
Can't resist presenting the contrary side...

Bob...what State do you live in? What exactly is your trade?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: carpentry and painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_cntrctr View Post
Can't resist presenting the contrary side, which is: Whose house is this anyway? It's the HO's. It's called private property. To do with as he pleases. His house is not your business. What he does with his house is not your business. Or we might as well just invite the commies to come run the place.
bingo
Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #20
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

I believe in reporting these violations within my own profession. But one thing we need to remember is that such reporting is OUR CHOICE. And we would be naive to think that we may not incur the wrath of that homeowner and/or builder. There are consequences to our actions, whether we feel those actions to be justified or not.

Advertisement

Tags
legal , permits