Painting Pole Barn Slider Door Rails - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Painting Pole Barn Slider Door Rails

Old 01-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter/Builder and H.S. Constr. Trades Teacher
Rewards Points: 18

Painting Pole Barn Slider Door Rails

1st time user, long time forum fan, Hello all.
I am a builder and a H.S. Construction Trades Teacher in which we build Pole Barns with the students.
My question to you all is:
Has anyone had success in painting the white aluminum slider door rails that come already primed, ( I think that is primer??).
I have done some research on painting aluminum but it depends on who is answering to the tips you get.
We have tried different methods to paint these to match the trim of the barn and have not been happy with how scratch resistant they are. And I mean, just brush up against it and it looks like crap.

In the past we have scuffed the white paint or primer, then used our own aluminum etching primer, and then 2-3 thin coats of spray paint.
Anyone out there have advice to what we are doing wrong.
Maybe the better question is....where can I buy painted door rails? Our suppliers say they can only get white.

Thanks for considering my post and appreciate any answers y'all have.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 556

Re: Painting Pole Barn Slider Door Rails

You're spray painting with what? And what is it scratching down to?

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #3

I have used like a Rustoleum enamel spray paint can, and when it scratches .......I think it scratches back down basically to the white Primer/paint that was scuffed prior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #4

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 208

I have used a product Will-Bond as a deglosser and painted with Maxbond by Dutchboy. I don't typically paint with Dutchboy but I really like Maxbond for that type of application. I don't know how its different than other paint other than from experience and the smell.

Are you sure you cant just order the trim the color you want? Most steal suppliers will send you what ever you want factory painted.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,364

I would talk to a body shop.
Since you want to paint aluminum, that's what Ford pickups are now.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,784

Prime with SW Procryl and finish with sw Shercryl. You will be happy.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,734

Take them to get anodized.

Or prime with an epoxy primer and topcoat with a compatible epoxy paint.

This is my favorite epoxy primer. Stuff is almost bullet proof.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...akzoprimer.php
Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 AM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,260

You're in a different part of the country, but when you think about steel companies and their distribution networks, we aren't that far.

I don't think we are talking about the same parts.

I've never used any aluminum part on a pole barn. I've never seen a slider come in aluminum.
To me, a slider for a door would be the track that the door rollers sit in.
https://fabral.com/media/2237/slidingdoorheader.pdf

Those always come in galvanized steel.

Can you show what part you are taking about?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

Ed, I don't call the rails trim, but in my research around here...I cannot get slider door rails (that attach to the 2x and trims out the steel) in a specific color like I can with j channel, F, corners, etc. etc.
Ohio, what does the SW stand for? I am far from a painter of any kind.

Tim, Was hoping to avoid a body shop but it has been advised to me numerous times.
Costs too much $$

Thanks all for input, BUT one last question: Is the paint that comes on those rails primer or paint, and if I do use some of these primer products you speak of...do I sand off the entire white that comes on it to get back to square one with the aluminum?

Thanks again, have a good Thursday....still waiting for snow up here so we can work and play! Where is the winter???
Old 01-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #10
Pro

Since I don't know how long before he logs in, I'll answer your question.

SW= Sherwin Williams.

Not to step on any toes.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #11
Pro

https://fabral.com/media/3511/slidingdoorjamb.pdf

On this picture, are you talking about the "L" trim on the end of the door. This detail doesn't say what it's called, but you can see it on the end of the door.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #12

I talking about these. (attachments hopefully came thru??, still learning your site) I have only put on the top example of the Quick Rails in first attachment. All one piece, made of a strong about 1/8th aluminum. I thought everybody used these??
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Pole Barn Slider Door Rails-barn-sliding-door-rails.jpg   Painting Pole Barn Slider Door Rails-quick-rails.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoef17 View Post
Ed, I don't call the rails trim, but in my research around here...I cannot get slider door rails (that attach to the 2x and trims out the steel) in a specific color like I can with j channel, F, corners, etc. etc.

Tim, Was hoping to avoid a body shop but it has been advised to me numerous times.
Costs too much $$

Thanks all for input, BUT one last question: Is the paint that comes on those rails primer or paint, and if I do use some of these primer products you speak of...do I sand off the entire white that comes on it to get back to square one with the aluminum?

Thanks again, have a good Thursday....still waiting for snow up here so we can work and play! Where is the winter???

You’ll want to remove the old primer first. Use an acid etch/nitric acid solution just prior to priming.

You could also try this:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/zinc.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
hoef17 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:

Costs too much $$

There’s an aircraft charter school based at KGRR, if you’re doing this for a school project an instructor there might give you some products to try out. Give them a call.

West Michigan Aviation Academy
Public Charter High School
Gerald R Ford International Arpt
5363 44th St SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
Phone: (616) 446-8886
Fax: (616) 957-0491
Email: [email protected]
Old 01-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #15

Yep, I know who you are talking about....we share ISD meetings for articulation for CTE....wish I would have thought about that a couple weeks ago when we were sitting at the same table. Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
Pro

They are aluminum. Different areas get slightly different building details. Around here, nobody would combine steel and aluminum on a pole barn. It's just not done.

I was thinking about it. The last pole barn I did was 27 years ago. I'm sure some things have changed.

As far as the paint goes, in steel, they make everything in all of their standard colors. Not sure why they would do aluminum any different.

And as far as painting, cleaning, a light sanding, primer, and finish coat should be doing the trick. That's what we would do.

I don't think I can help you.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #17

I know what you are talking about on the Steel touching Aluminum and I bet there are guys on here that could give a lot of different opinions on that...or maybe there is a thread on here that has already addressed that.
Around here, we have F channel touching steel siding, and other applications like that and due to it all being painted, we just do it and in the 50 yrs. some of my veteran mentor builders have had zero corrosion.
Unlike when guys would wrap pressure treated green exterior lumber with painted coil stock aluminum flashing and watch it eat it away in two years! Just haven't seen that happen with aluminum trim and steel siding /roofing.
Opinions?
Question: what product do people use as rails for this type of door if they don't use the rails I am referring to? I assume it is made of steel and can be painted? and then put steel J channel to finish as a separate piece?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #18

I don't know how close you are to a Menders but you can get those rails in a lot of colors ordering off there site.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...283696&ipos=15
Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #19

Thanks Ed, didn't know that and I just checked it out....however of course they don't have the black color we need. They have midnight grey that may be good enough but I doubt it.
I notice there product is aluminium....so now we go back to the debate (or maybe there shouldn't be a debate) on whether you should be putting metal siding in those Aluminum rails??

Now let me throw a whole new pitch into this at bat....I just talked to my Local supplier and they now do not carry aluminum Rails, they carry powder coated steel rails. They just switched and they did so in part to hearing people have concern (me being one of those peeps) not wanting the aluminum and for painting difficulties. But they still come as an off white only and I looked it up...it is not a primer but a powder coat paint.
My question now becomes....What should I use for paint in this application and should I scuff and paint, scuff, prime, then paint?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Ed, didn't know that and I just checked it out....however of course they don't have the black color we need. They have midnight grey that may be good enough but I doubt it.
I notice there product is aluminium....so now we go back to the debate (or maybe there shouldn't be a debate) on whether you should be putting metal siding in those Aluminum rails??

Now let me throw a whole new pitch into this at bat....I just talked to my Local supplier and they now do not carry aluminum Rails, they carry powder coated steel rails. They just switched and they did so in part to hearing people have concern (me being one of those peeps) not wanting the aluminum and for painting difficulties. But they still come as an off white only and I looked it up...it is not a primer but a powder coat paint.
My question now becomes....What should I use for paint in this application and should I scuff and paint, scuff, prime, then paint?
Those aluminum rails are designed to be used on steel pole barns. No issue there. I would just get a factory color that looks ok with the building even if not the same color. Its mostly covered. Its similar to a garage door weather strip that is some times a bit off. Stripping and painting trim is overkill for the situation.

Advertisement