Outlet In Top Drawer Ideas? - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Outlet In Top Drawer Ideas?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

Outlet In Top Drawer Ideas?

Has anyone been involved with a vanity with power available in the top drawer?

How did you do it?

I could scoop out the back of the drawer box easy enough but the cord would get funkyed up if the outlet was behind the drawer box. I would love to hear from anyone that got an outlet to ride in the drawer box and how that worked.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Outlet In Top Drawer Ideas?

How high are the drawer sides? Any chance of mounting a fixed outlet to the cabinet and cutting one side of the drawer low enough to allow it to operate?

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,006

I doubt anything you cobble together would be legal.
jordan_paul (03-12-2012), Winchester (01-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 4

Only way I could think would be to mount it to the inside of the cabinet box facing in towards the drawer hole. A slot could be cut out of the drawer side that would allow the outlet to be accessed with the drawer open or closed in any position.

Easy Gibson
Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Maker of fine kindling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
How high are the drawer sides? Any chance of mounting a fixed outlet to the cabinet and cutting one side of the drawer low enough to allow it to operate?
Yeah, I think you are on to a good idea. I could easily scoop out the back and sides of the box to make room for the cord to do it's thing. Maybe get the outlet to be flush with the cabinet side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I doubt anything you cobble together would be legal.
Thats the spirit.
This is not a cabinet problem per say. It is a Sparky issue. But seeings how I'm a team player I like to have a good idea loaded and ready to go when I meet up with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Only way I could think would be to mount it to the inside of the cabinet box facing in towards the drawer hole. A slot could be cut out of the drawer side that would allow the outlet to be accessed with the drawer open or closed in any position.
That sounds just like Tin's idea. We are going with that until further notice. Thanks Warren
Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Mount the outlet in the wall behind the cabinet, run an extension cord from the outlet to the drawer box, drape it over the back of the drawer box into the drawer, mount a power strip in the drawer box, plug the two together, works like a charm. Make sure the outlet isn't a GFCI, or it's a bitch to reset it. Better for it to be fed by a GFCI up stream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
Gus Dering (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Maker of fine kindling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Mount the outlet in the wall behind the cabinet, run an extension cord from the outlet to the drawer box, drape it over the back of the drawer box into the drawer, mount a power strip in the drawer box, plug the two together, works like a charm. Make sure the outlet isn't a GFCI, or it's a bitch to reset it. Better for it to be fed by a GFCI up stream.
That is a good idea. Then the cord ony needs to be as long as the travel of the slide plus a little.

Good one Mike, thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

All fine and dandy until you read the rules.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure.....

Of course, I'm 'just an electrician', and since I'm a professional, those rules don't apply to everyone else since the National Electric Code is like a buffet..... you get to pick and choose the rules you want to ignore.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,672

Why do you need one in the first place?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley
That's what I was thinking too. You could go one better and drill a hole in the back of the drawer to snake the cord through. Probably have to make up a cord so it was short enough. It could be sketchy though with my setup if someone tried to remove the drawer and didn't know what there were doing.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Power strip or not, extension cord or not, you are going to be repetitively flexing that wire and eventually that could lead to a problem. It's easier for the HO to replace the hair dryer she leaves permanently plugged in inside the drawer than to replace extension cords or power strips.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Maker of fine kindling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
All fine and dandy until you read the rules.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure.....

Of course, I'm 'just an electrician', and since I'm a professional, those rules don't apply to everyone else since the National Electric Code is like a buffet..... you get to pick and choose the rules you want to ignore.
I see where you are coming from. I don't like the attitude but hey, this is the internet and I may be picking up on something that is not there. I hope so anyway. You let me know.

So if you were on this high end job and they wanted an outlet in the drawer what would you have to say? Can't be done? If so, I think there would be trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Power strip or not, extension cord or not, you are going to be repetitively flexing that wire and eventually that could lead to a problem. It's easier for the HO to replace the hair dryer she leaves permanently plugged in inside the drawer than to replace extension cords or power strips.
Another good point to bring up when the conversation is being had. Like I said before, this is really a thing for the electrician to resolve but I don't stand around with my hands in my pockets during those meetings. I like to bring creative ideas to the table. I now have a couple ways to bring to the table and the committee can decide.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #13

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

we did one a couple years ago and had nothin but call backs they kept shorting out the cords on the slides.i did at the time aginst my better judment and will never do it agin not to metion it is to easy to leave a curling iron on in the drawer and start a fire.and where we installed it was in a make up drawer that was not fully inclosed.i ended up blankin it off after a month or so

Last edited by burgerbuilt; 01-26-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

What if you mount a shallow J box on the underside of the vanity top, facing down, just inside the face of the cabinet?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Dering View Post
I see where you are coming from. I don't like the attitude but hey, this is the internet and I may be picking up on something that is not there. I hope so anyway. You let me know.
I knew right from the start of this thread that the NEC will be thrown out the window. Happens every time...... Someone needs a solution, and the Book be damned.

Quote:
So if you were on this high end job and they wanted an outlet in the drawer what would you have to say? Can't be done? If so, I think there would be trouble.

If it's against the rules, then it's against the rules. The NEC don't care how much money the customer has. Zsa Zsa tried the same attitude in traffic court, and it didn't get her very far either.

Or is the fact that the customer can pay you well means you're willing to 'look the other way' when it comes to safety. Surely, you can't be thinking that.

Quote:
Another good point to bring up when the conversation is being had. Like I said before, this is really a thing for the electrician to resolve but I don't stand around with my hands in my pockets during those meetings. I like to bring creative ideas to the table. I now have a couple ways to bring to the table and the committee can decide.
And so far, your 'couple ways' won't pass an inspection.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 1,441

Just like a sparky. Shoot down all the ideas and come up with no plausible solutions
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
dakzaag (01-27-2011), Electricmanscot (01-27-2011), Scribbles (01-30-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Any idea would be appreciated.
While I dunno about any codes for an outlet in a drawer....an outlet in the wall is up to code. Have a solid divider between the top drawer and those below it....have another outlet in the back of the (shortened) top drawer....

shorten this... http://www.jupiterimages.com/Image/royaltyFree/92915536

Won't see why that wouldn't pass inspection, specially if the one in the wall is GFI, but I dunno.....

Last edited by CO762; 01-26-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Gus, like it or not, 480 is right. I didn't think I needed to say this, but there's a good hunk of liability involved if anything would ever go wrong. As a pro, it would be irresponsible of him to condone such a rigging.

I'm a brain-damaged 12 year old, so I can play along.

Reminds me of the time when I was working in a 2-way radio shop, and the local cops wanted us to rig up a way to have their brake lights not work when on a stakeout. We hooked everything up for them, and told them "Do not cut those two wires, because that would be illegal."
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Gus Dering (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 8

Gus, Just a possible solution I've used before. If the drawer box is not needed, Use the drawer front on hings and mount the outlet (behind it where the drawer box would be. The drawer front hinges down, allowing access to the outlet. Done a couple times in islands where we didn't want to see the outlet - has passes inspection.

Good luck!

Paul

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to DaVinciRemodel For This Useful Post:
Gus Dering (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
Dang.....

Advertisement