Opinions Please ( Bad Contractor ? ) - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Opinions Please ( Bad Contractor ? )

Old 08-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Trade: trim carpenter
Rewards Points: 110

Opinions Please ( Bad Contractor ? )

I finished trimming a house 17 days ago. I sent an invoice 14 days ago stating payment due by the 7th day. I have not recieved payment yet. There was a warped door slab rubbing in the pocket door frame after the cabinets were installed against it. I did not install the frame,just the slab and trim. The framers did not nail the frame to the concrete slab.

The contractor contacted me 9 days ago ( 2 days before payment was due ) and asked about the slab. I promptly told him that when he had the slab I would go to the site and replace it. During this conversation I inquired if he had recieved my invoice. He said yes and asked if he should mail the check. I of course said yes and thank you.

4 days ago I still haven't recieved my check ( 3 days past due date ). My wife called him the next day to insure the call would be professional. All she could get out of him is that he would have my check when the door is fixed. She explained this was out of my control and the job had been completed 14 days prior. She also explained such simple issues are normally fixed on punch out. I called him later that evening to ask why my check was delayed. His response was " I thought we agreed I would pay you when you came to fix the door ". I reminded him that was not the case and I wanted my check mailed to me. This was 2 days ago.

Today the salesman calls me to tell me the slab is in. He also informs me that contractor is behind on payments with them. My gut tells me this check is not on the way.

I figure I have 2 choices . 1st one is to setup a time to meet in a few days after the check has had ample time to get to my house ( should take no more than 2 days ). 2nd is to tell him flat out that I will not return to his job till I have a check in hand. I have 30 days from my last work date to file a lein. In 5 days I will hit the 3 week mark.

How would you guys handle this ? There isn't a written contract, but he will signing one next time I see him.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,492

Re: Opinions Please ( Bad Contractor ? )

A bit late for a contract. Don't lose your lein rights.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

I would simply go to his office an ask straight up what the issue is.to many people get hung up these days on phone calls,emails and paper trails.What is wrong with a good old fashion face to face.Lots of problems solved that way in a matter of minutes .Not days or weeks.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (08-07-2015), illbuildit.dd (08-07-2015), Jaws (08-07-2015), jb4211 (08-07-2015), kingcarpenter (08-07-2015), NYgutterguy (08-07-2015), TxElectrician (08-07-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I would simply go to his office an ask straight up what the issue is.to many people get hung up these days on phone calls,emails and paper trails.What is wrong with a good old fashion face to face.Lots of problems solved that way in a matter of minutes .Not days or weeks.

The only issue with that is he lives 45 minutes away.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
A bit late for a contract. Don't lose your lein rights.

The contract is to insure, if my 1 st draw check arrives, that he can not pull this with my punch check.

Don't worry on day 21 my attorney will be contacted.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Pro

I've drove farther than that to work each day.Depends on how much money and how bad you want it.Not a big deal for this old man.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
kingcarpenter (08-07-2015), mikeswoods (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: G.C./carpenter
Rewards Points: 544

Your not getting paid file the lein now. If hes not paying salesman hes not paying you. Take it from an old hand here Ive been in the old come swap the door trick sack before. Let it be a lesson learned get everything in writing. As Mako stated run him down (if you can). Ive said it a hundred times always talk to other subs that work for builder/general to get payment history. If hes not paying or slow paying they will be happy to tell you so. Finally, always, always tell every sub you know or come in contact with about these crooks. I still tell subs years later of the ones who have changed names etc. which is common asyou will learn. Seen more than one builders truck beat up with a hammer and a few construction trailers torched. Oh, and a little concrete/grout down the drains works too.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob duke View Post
The only issue with that is he lives 45 minutes away.
This thread is pointless. Sounds like you dont want to get paid. Do you walk to the gig also? wtf
Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcarpenter View Post
Your not getting paid file the lein now. If hes not paying salesman hes not paying you. Take it from an old hand here Ive been in the old come swap the door trick sack before. Let it be a lesson learned get everything in writing. As Mako stated run him down (if you can). Ive said it a hundred times always talk to other subs that work for builder/general to get payment history. If hes not paying or slow paying they will be happy to tell you so. Finally, always, always tell every sub you know or come in contact with about these crooks. I still tell subs years later of the ones who have changed names etc. which is common asyou will learn. Seen more than one builders truck beat up with a hammer and a few construction trailers torched. Oh, and a little concrete/grout down the drains works too.
Grout down the drains. I like that one !

Well, it will all be determined by monday night. That will be 4 mailing days since the last call and my line in the sand. Thanks for the input. I got burned once last year in a situation where the title never transferred ( homeowner financed ), but this 1 is a spec house.

I don't really know anyone that has been around for very long. My closest bud in the business has been trimming houses for 8 years and has never been burned. Guess I just attract the bad ones.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Grout down the drains. I like that one !

Well, it will all be determined by monday night. That will be 4 mailing days since the last call and my line in the sand. Thanks for the input. I got burned once last year in a situation where the title never transferred ( homeowner financed ), but this 1 is a spec house.

I don't really know anyone that has been around for very long. My closest bud in the business has been trimming houses for 8 years and has never been burned. Guess I just attract the bad ones.
The line in the sand was drawn when the check did not show. Never count on checks in the mail. We all know that one. When you say you dont really know anyone that has been around long if your talking subs working for this guy thats your first red flag. Your 1st time being burned should have done it if it was by this crook or not. Your buddy will be burned if hes not writing contracts. I cant stress enough research and more research. Its part of the happy game. Chasing money gets old quick. The work is hard enough as it is let alone having to put your dukes up to get paid. Thank God for my painter, he kept me from going to jail when this happened to me when things went south in 08. We had contracts and were not paid full. Lets just say he had a few shady boys in his arsenal who took care of it. Didnt get all my money but felt a little better.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #11

Well I'm to nice of a guy. Lesson learned hard,but it has been learned now ! I have professionally written contracts,I just have to fill in some voids. Thank you for the guidance,hopefully I will be able to pass it forward one day.

As far as driving to his house. I am a one man show. I am working 45 minutes in the other direction. I'm on a deadline because of another job after it. I'm working 7 -12s at the moment. I can't afford to risk my time in hopes that he will answer the door.

Just got the mail,no check. Not suprised. Getting my ducks in a row for the attorney.
The Following User Says Thank You to rob duke For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
Pro

You can justify it anyway you want to us or yourself.Stand up for what you have coming or get beat down the rest of your life.If you want to make it in this business you have to be a man.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Quote:
a written contract
There is no other type of 'contract', no such thing. All else are nothing but a lot of time, effort and money spent in lawyers.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I do everything in my power to make sure these conversations are in person. It is huge when it comes to the power of persuasion. I always want to be able to read their face during these conversations also.
I'll drive an hour if I have to
The Following User Says Thank You to illbuildit.dd For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #15

Trade: Residential Builder
Rewards Points: 123

I know some guys that will file a lien before they start a job, if it's big enough to justify the expense.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
Pro

1 man show or 40 crews should not keep any man from going after his cake. If you dont fight this guy you are only hurting us all. Think about it; A couple of hours or even a day for that matter and your just going to let him keep your cake? Tell your other gig whats up and if he dont get it tough chit. He needs you as much as you need him. As Mako said there will be plenty of times when you will have to put balz in front of brains, pride, business and all else. Its part of the game and any seasoned sub will guarantee the same. Get your money. Drive to his house/office and show your face and surely he has other houses. If not it probably wouldnt be a good idea to inform on this subject again.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,910

I have a GC bud who likes to play games with subs. When a sub calls looking to get paid his answer is he has a 30 day pay cycle. After 30 day the check does get sent. However if you submit the bill in person you will get a check then and there.
Most weasels dont have the balls to blow you off face to face.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
Pro

Forgot to mention you will drive 45 minutes to another gig but you wont drive 45 mins. to get in somebody's face who owes you a good chunk of change. Cant figure that one.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAH View Post
I have a GC bud who likes to play games with subs. When a sub calls looking to get paid his answer is he has a 30 day pay cycle. After 30 day the check does get sent. However if you submit the bill in person you will get a check then and there.
Most weasels dont have the balls to blow you off face to face.
Your calling him a bud?
The Following User Says Thank You to kingcarpenter For This Useful Post:
Jaws (08-08-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcarpenter View Post
Your calling him a bud?
Yes, I dont work for him.

Advertisement