One Of Those"i Knew This Would Happen!" Moments - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

One Of Those"i Knew This Would Happen!" Moments

Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 668

One Of Those"i Knew This Would Happen!" Moments

Been repairing drywall in a 3 level townhome.
From day one i told her we will replace the water damaged drywall(about 25%, of the surfaces) and repair our areas. The ready of the walls and ceilings.
She mentioned making everything"real smooth" but it's old plaster, was done poorly. There's been patches over the years.
Today icame in and she had blue tape all over marking areas she didn't like.
90% percent of them were her old walls and ceilings where we didn't do work.
Itold her"listen carey, this is an insurance repair. Not a remodel job.
I cannot make all areas perfect. That wasn't the agreement anyway. "
She says"i know i told you i wanted a level-4 finish "
She never knew that terminology in the beginning.
Icompromised and said i will work on the living areas vaulted ceiling and the walls in that area as a courtesy. But i will not make all walls and ceilings and corners perfect or even touch them where there was no water damage..
Meanwhile for 2 weeks she can't pick her paint colors. She's gone from yellows to greens, to tans . To grays, .
Trying to stay in a place where we have agood relationship.
But she's pushing.
Didn't mention the 11 cats i have to deal with everyday. And the smell...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,364

Re: One Of Those"i Knew This Would Happen!" Moments

This is patch / repair job. I only do these to not stand out / blend in with what's there. Otherwise, it's typically a thick skin job over all surfaces, and the added charge.

Either/or, there should be no room for creep and misunderstandings.

JMO.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,204

The minute she said everything real smooth, I would've said "the repair that you're paying for will be real smooth, as per your request, but if you want the whole area outside of the repair redone to match it, that will be $***x.xx extra. Sign here..."...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (08-19-2019), griz (08-19-2019), Robie (08-19-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-19-2019), sunkist (08-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,762

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
This is patch / repair job. I only do these to not stand out / blend in with what's there. Otherwise, it's typically a thick skin job over all surfaces, and the added charge.

Either/or, there should be no room for creep and misunderstandings.

JMO.
It actually takes more skill to make it match the 40-50 years of other people working on it. It's relatively easy to skim a wall and make it look nice.

Much harder to match 3 or 4 different texture patterns in 3 different rooms after a roof leak.

I usually figure an easy match after I go and get all complicated with it.

No telling what someone did 50 years ago on a budget and with no real tools.

Had one where I thought they had thinned the mud and then ran a paintbrush through it.

Turns out they had used just really thick paint as texture. Simple once I figured it out, but we were already mudded, brush ran through and painted before I realized it. It matched well enough.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
hdavis (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,492

Hmmmmmm....when it comes to residential, the moment I smell crazy, I am outta there. There are usually clues before you commit to the job that says: "something just doesn't add up".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-19-2019), SummitElectric1 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 728

Never offer to perform work outside of the contract for free you have no idea where its starts and stops.

Refer to ins estimate, after that UPcharge

You knew this woman was a fruit loop
SmallTownGuy (08-19-2019), SummitElectric1 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
Hmmmmmm....when it comes to residential, the moment I smell crazy, I am outta there. There are usually clues before you commit to the job that says: "something just doesn't add up".
sure but often before those clues really make sense your caught and stuck .
The Following User Says Thank You to JFM constr For This Useful Post:
hdavis (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 668

its my own fault
i did tell her when she mentioned " real smooth" i can`t make all surfaces real smooth , its a repair on various areas, i can`t` re-coat the whole home"
she agreed , but me , being the kind of person who works by word , and doesn`t make them sign ,just went by her word.

told her the best we could do is smoothen our areas , and some of the worst existing spots .
then we could have the painter roll the walls with a thick nap roller cover , so it leaves an " orange peal" surface , and it`ll blend in a little better

things are just taking too long

she didn`t tell me ahead of time that we couldn`t come in till 9:30-10:00 every morning .
has a 19 year old daughter . i have to work in her room , but she has a night job , and sleeps till 12:00-3:00 every day .
we have to tile a bathroom floor. she doesn`t tile base , just the wall finishing right at the tile , thats more work . i have to finish the tile and grout , and then drywall tight to the tile with a j-bead

trying to keeping good communication with her though. don`t want to work there with an attitude
just can`t get that rhythm i want.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodspike View Post
its my own fault
i did tell her when she mentioned " real smooth" i can`t make all surfaces real smooth , its a repair on various areas, i can`t` re-coat the whole home"
she agreed , but me , being the kind of person who works by word , and doesn`t make them sign ,just went by her word.

told her the best we could do is smoothen our areas , and some of the worst existing spots .
then we could have the painter roll the walls with a thick nap roller cover , so it leaves an " orange peal" surface , and it`ll blend in a little better

things are just taking too long

she didn`t tell me ahead of time that we couldn`t come in till 9:30-10:00 every morning .
has a 19 year old daughter . i have to work in her room , but she has a night job , and sleeps till 12:00-3:00 every day .
we have to tile a bathroom floor. she doesn`t tile base , just the wall finishing right at the tile , thats more work . i have to finish the tile and grout , and then drywall tight to the tile with a j-bead

trying to keeping good communication with her though. don`t want to work there with an attitude
just can`t get that rhythm i want.
Have you considered that if you had a contract you would have avoided all that?

Nothing wrong with being a hand-shake, my word is my bond, type of contractor, UNTIL you come across a customer like this who will push and push for the freebies, and it literally eats your lunch because you're trying to be a nice guy...

Look at it this way... You can still be a nice guy, worthy of your word, etc. AND protect yourself from being taken advantage of with a contract... all the contract is for a person who's word is their bond is a written understanding of what's included to avoid any miscommunications FOR THEM... not you who already knows what he's quoting...

Advertisement

Last edited by KAP; 08-19-2019 at 08:58 PM.