Older Peachtree Patio Door - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Older Peachtree Patio Door

Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Older Peachtree Patio Door

I've got a project involving an older Peachtree Avante sliding glass patio door. If you're familiar with the Avante, it is a metal door with a 1/4" wood cladding on the interior that attaches with metal clips. Unfortunately, we were forced to take the wood trim off to install the new glass and getting it back on is nothing short of extremely frustrating. For such an expensive door, it's a very poor design as the clips are made of a very pliable metal. The clips are easily bent out of shape when installing the trim and you use the necessary force to drive them into their slots. Unfortunately, Peachtree does not make this door anymore, the plant has closed and new clips are impossible to find. Our rep and dealer are trying to find some, but they've been moved to a new plant and heaped in a pile somewhere. So, I'm forced to try to work with what I have. It's one of those jobs that should take only a minute but has turned into a nightmare. Once I attempt to intall the trim, if I don't get it aligned perfectly and force it, I have to go back to the drawing board, re-shape the bent clip and try it again. It's truly a viscious cycle and I'm at my wits end. Anyone out there have any experience with this particular problem?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #2

Trade: Custom Builder
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Older Peachtree Patio Door

It just amazes me the crazy engineering things these companies come up with to save some bucks.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Re: Older Peachtree Patio Door

I appreciate your sympathy VB. I actually got it back on using a combination of the clips and some gorilla glue where I had to remove some clips. I'm hoping that and how the lockset holds the trim on will do it. It's amazing how much havoc one little white ball can create.