No, I Don't Wanna Talk To Her. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

No, I Don't Wanna Talk To Her.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 40

No, I Don't Wanna Talk To Her.

That's what I told a client the other day as we were wrapping up a job. She gave me a funny look and laughed.

I knew it was a property manager I'd worked for in the past. Kinda ditzy & I didn't have the energy to deal with her at the end of a long day, so I let it go to voicemail. The next morning, I mustered up the strength to return her call, figuring it was another low end rental with dog piss stained hardwood floors that needed refinished.

I finally mustered up the will to call her yesterday afternoon. Wrong about the dog piss floors & wrong about it being low rent, but wasn't much more enthused when she told me what she needed. Glue down engineered flooring on concrete below grade. I hate glue down floors.

I guess we're just starting with the basement & are going to end up doing the entire upstairs as well at a later date once they finish moving around walls & other aspects of the job.Several thousand more feet of flooring, plus reworking the stairs. Homeowner was there & I told him how busy we were since we'd started focusing more on the custom cabinet portion of our business. Pretty sure I sold him a new kitchen as well.

I guess the moral of the story, predetermining the outcome isn't always a smart business decision. It would have been so easy to have not returned her call because of past work she'd presented us to bid on. Never had trouble getting paid is why I called her back.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (09-28-2020), deckman22 (09-28-2020), hdavis (09-25-2020), KAP (09-25-2020), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-25-2020), sparehair (09-25-2020), spazman (09-25-2020), tgeb (09-26-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 26

Re: No, I Don't Wanna Talk To Her.

Agreed. Just looked at a job in a great neighborhood I have half a dozen customers. One part of the street is old money and completely not taken care of. I figured with the address it was one of those, almost didn't respond.

Nope, 2mil contemporary with a younger couple that bought a few years back. House is just old enough they will be using us for years to come.

Do you find floors or custom cabs to be more profitable? We do a fair bit of built ins ect. and find the money is very good.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JoeStanton For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStanton View Post
Agreed. Just looked at a job in a great neighborhood I have half a dozen customers. One part of the street is old money and completely not taken care of. I figured with the address it was one of those, almost didn't respond.

Nope, 2mil contemporary with a younger couple that bought a few years back. House is just old enough they will be using us for years to come.

Do you find floors or custom cabs to be more profitable? We do a fair bit of built ins ect. and find the money is very good.
At this point, floors are more profitable. Mainly because I've got decades of experience developing our system & profit margins. Sadly, my best money jobs are the crap holes, because the bar isn't near as high & we can get away with more sins instead of making sure all the swirls are cleaned up. We can sand a 600' average floor & have the first coat of finish on in 3-4 hours. Typically try to schedule 3 of them a week in the same area, so by Friday, we just have to put the top coat on & head home. Overhead on those jobs is 10-15%.

We're still fairly new to making cabinet work our primary source of income & are still developing pricing & techniques. Not new to building cabinets, we've just usually built them to fill in scheduling holes. Up to this point, we've been reinvesting everything we made in the shop on new tools & relying on floor work to pay the bills. Now the shop is more than carrying it's own weight & putting money in the bank.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-28-2020), JoeStanton (09-28-2020), sparehair (09-25-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,733

[QUOTE=pinwheel;7839253]
Quote:
Now the shop is more than carrying it's own weight & putting money in the bank.
I love a happy ending!
The Following User Says Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (09-26-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 08:27 AM   #5

Your shop makes me Jealous. We mostly site build at this point. Property here is stupid $$$ and I live on a postage stamp. Just build my buddy a 66' x 80' garage that our shop should go on the second floor. It has a 16' door on the back and my lull sleeps in his garage. Although he is a hoarder and it's filling up quick!
pinwheel (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Your shop makes me Jealous. We mostly site build at this point. Property here is stupid $$$ and I live on a postage stamp. Just build my buddy a 66' x 80' garage that our shop should go on the second floor. It has a 16' door on the back and my lull sleeps in his garage. Although he is a hoarder and it's filling up quick!
There's no way I could own the shop I own in the city. Feel very blessed to live in Bum Phcked egypt in part because of the low cost of living. But nearly every job is a minimum of 45 minutes away.

My shop sets on 1 1/2 acres & I only paid $3000 for the land we built it on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (09-28-2020), TxElectrician (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
There's no way I could own the shop I own in the city. Feel very blessed to live in Bum Phcked egypt in part because of the low cost of living. But nearly every job is a minimum of 45 minutes away.

My shop sets on 1 1/2 acres & I only paid $3000 for the land we built it on.
Usually my drive is 10 - 15 min. I turn down any work toward Boston because of the traffic. Did a job a few years back and it was 2+ hours each way and I pay the guys anything over 30 min.

I'll give ya $4,000 and also rent it back to you as I'm a nice guy.
pinwheel (09-28-2020)
Old Today, 04:12 PM   #8
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 9,074

Okay the ****ing Home Depot Ad is blocking the responses again. Three times is my limit.

I've contributed to this site for years for no compensation and this is how you treat me?

I can be obnoxious at times, but I've never blocked anyone else's content.

Knock it off CT. Home Depot or me. Your call.
Old Today, 05:44 PM   #9

Trade: Commercial project management
Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
I've contributed to this site for years for no compensation .
You’re a legend in your own mind.

Advertisement