Next Door Site And App - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Next Door Site And App

Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 744

Next Door Site And App

So any one know of this site its crazy, people log on to find contractors and other things but you need a invite to join.
It is all local to your zip area the idea is neighbors recommending people they have used kind like Angie's list but for your zip and no paid adds from the people getting the thumbs up.
The site makes its money from adds, Home advisor is big on the DIY and Home Improvement link.
You can tall all the fake recommendations its sad people get screwed from what could have been a good service'
But I am afraid its a little like the blind leading the blind, a guy was looking for some one to repair a chimney, some woman posts her chimney sweep who is a retired fire fighter could do it.

I posted this was not a job for a retired what ever but a job for a licensed contractor who knows what to do, this did not go over well she posted "he is certified and I got his name from the place I bought my grill and he cleans out chimneys for lots of business's", my post back certified by who some guy running a course on the internet then selling you a set of brushes.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

Re: Next Door Site And App

Sorry to hear your AREA sites is like that. I, and other professionals are getting 5-10 leads a week in our direct areas. 10 minutes from home, people excited to do business with local businesses!.

They tell more people, etc.. etc... etc...

I first thought it was another Craigslist, shopping for the bottom.

No, get in the right neighborhoods and you are golden.

I'm in 15 neighborhoods and I want to be in 11 of them. I'm not turning down the others on area, but I am on budget.

A lot more screening.

It is a huge gift!! Thank you!!!!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 03:42 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

We use it too. It's just neighbors gossiping and sharing info. Prob not the place to start a fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
SixStarFC (06-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,527

I've dabbled and gotten jobs, but I think it's too random from a homeowner's perspective. Ill-informed folks with too much time on their hands making recommendations. But it will open doors for you, so go for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
SixStarFC (06-16-2019), sunkist (06-12-2019), TheBigAndy (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,008

The OP post is to funny .classic .yeah blind leading the blind .how many times have i heard people complaining about contractors they hired only to run into contractor and here the otherside . crazy funny or sad .Anyone who hasn't dealt with a few nut jobs -well makes me wonder . not to say there isn't goofy work done but look who hired them .yeah you hired the chimney sweep to rebuild your chimney because he has a mail order certification saying he is a certified chimney sweep .
Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
We use it too. It's just neighbors gossiping and sharing info. Prob not the place to start a fight.
You have no idea (yes you do) how right you are, got into a pissing match with some woman who told me not to post and then posted I should check my grammar before I post, now it was not as good as my back splash pissing contest.

It is a shame my painter is killing it he get all kind of work and its all local he could walk to most jobs
Old 06-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
The OP post is to funny .classic .yeah blind leading the blind .how many times have i heard people complaining about contractors they hired only to run into contractor and here the otherside . crazy funny or sad .Anyone who hasn't dealt with a few nut jobs -well makes me wonder . not to say there isn't goofy work done but look who hired them .yeah you hired the chimney sweep to rebuild your chimney because he has a mail order certification saying he is a certified chimney sweep .
I told the woman she was nuts it was like asking the guy who washes your car to do a brake job, and than when you got a face full of air bag and no front end on the car wondering what went wrong
Old 06-15-2019, 04:23 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Low voltage
Rewards Points: 658

Last year I drummed up about 25k in business from nextdoor.

...this year it has been maybe $1000. I don't respond to most "contractor/handyman wanted" posts because someone always posts they have a brother/uncle who will do the job for cheaper.

I still have my business page on there with a great reputation, though it has become a race to the bottom when someone posts needing work done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SearchforSignal For This Useful Post:
JR-IP (06-17-2019), SixStarFC (06-16-2019), sunkist (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #9

Trade: Handyman

Next door seems to attract the lowest bidder type around here. I have gotten maybe 15k in business in 2 years from it. Not bad for a free app, but a lot of hassle with responding and dealing with people wanting "free" quotes. Houzz has been a great app for me, tons of leads from people ready to hire, not tire kickers.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 48

It really seems that in my area as well, it's bottom feeders looking for the cheapest price. The idea is good, execution, not so great.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #11

Trade: Handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-IP View Post
It really seems that in my area as well, it's bottom feeders looking for the cheapest price. The idea is good, execution, not so great.
The users aren't so great.

Advertisement