New Roofing Company - Looking For Some Advice - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

New Roofing Company - Looking For Some Advice

Old 07-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #1

Trade: Mandrill Construction Ltd.
Rewards Points: 6

New Roofing Company - Looking For Some Advice

Hello Fellow Contractors,

I need your opinion. Me and my husband have a relatively new roofing company and we have decided to start selling some of our own work, not just subbing for other companies.

Here's my dilemma... I'm creating our brochure to hand out to clients and i want to know if you think its smart to say that "we're the new kids on the block" and formally introduce our company. I believe in being upfront and transparent and also the client is either going to ask or find out online that we're new, so I thought beat them to the punch. My husband has been roofing for approx. ten years, is a journeyman roofer and he always practices top of the line installation practices (no shortcuts ever). But the clients will have to just take our word for it until we build up some more reviews and marketing tools.

So long story short, if you were in our position would you state on your brochure that your company was new and introduce it to the city?

Thank! I appreciate any feedback!

Heather

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Re: New Roofing Company - Looking For Some Advice

My advise, run far away from the roofing industry!

So you were doing installs as a sub before hand? Have any photos of your work? Use some of them.

If I were starting a new company I would avoid anything like like "new kid on the block" or any such thing like that. For a few reasons, first one is I assume you will be offering some kind of warranty, so if you offer a 5 year warranty, how good does that sound when the company started in the middle of July of 2015?

I'd focus on what you have done previously, and just leave off any indication of any time frame the company has been around, focus on something like "so and so manufacture approved installer since ***X" here is some of the pictures of our work.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

Thank you for your feedback!

We have been operating as a sub-crew for over a year now (so no marketing to the pulbic during that time) and before that my husband was an installer/supervisor for ten years at a high end roofing company. So unfortunately we're locked into the roofing industry, I know the stereotypes that roofers have...not great...but we want to break that mould...and we have been so far with each client we meet, they are pleasantly surprised by our professionalism and conduct, not your typical roofers.

The "new kids on the block" was just an expression, I would be much more tactful in an advertising product. I tend to use lots of expressions when I'm rambling on .

Yes we will be offering a 5 - 10 year warranty on our installation. And we do have some photos of our finished product and also in-progress photos.

That is a good idea to leave out a time frame of how new our company is. I think I may introduce our company to the city though...??...

Thank you so much for your advice! It's nice to have some different perspective.

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,960

Experience sells.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Yes it does. We have the experience.
But our company name in the public's eye does not, not yet anyways.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

High end roofing around here means something all together different. Shingle roofers are everywhere where I am. Less roofers do ceramic or slate, or metal.

Almost every roofing company I've seen uses the cheapest nails and underlay available.

If you have pictures of flashing repair work, thats a plus, as most roofers get away with not spending the time, nor have the skill to do good flashing work. Just tar it up, call it done. But if you have repair pics of what it looked like before, and what you did after... its a big selling point.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

I wouldn't point out the fact your new. As stated, emphasis on the experience and quality part, as well as the fact you are fully insured and carry workers comp on your employees. If you don't have these things, I suggest you not start a business without it. Ten years is a long time to warranty workmanship. The manufacturer warrantees the material for longer, but a few years is all I would suggest for labour warranty. If nothing has leaked in two years, It probably wont.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka guy View Post
Ten years is a long time to warranty workmanship.
I disagree. I warranty my workmanship for life. Not much gray area there; either you did it right or you didn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
1985gt (07-15-2015), Agility (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 AM   #9
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,422

Brochures dont sell, people do. First you make the phone ring, then your hubby just talks with the homeowner. He just needs to find his selling style.

I say he needs to meet with the client because hes done the work and can talk the client through the whole process. You just need to know that you can do the job right and then voila the deals will happen.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
Windwash (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #10
Particulate Filter

I for one have never sold a job with a brochure, a website yes, print advertising no.

The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Pro

Brochures can create market familiarity, and a really impressive one will create leads . I am a contractor with a strong marketing background ...avoid anything with new or kids in it entirely ...talk about experience, insurance, safety, cleanliness, and waterproofing . New carries too many negative connotations ...unproven , inexperienced, etc...which may not apply , but can hurt you .
The Following User Says Thank You to AGullion For This Useful Post:
kixnbux (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I disagree. I warranty my workmanship for life. Not much gray area there; either you did it right or you didn't.
To each their own don't see the need for such a long warranty.if the install is done correctly, the mfg warranty will cover the rest. Set up for a sue job ten years down the road.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Quote:
To each their own don't see the need for such a long warranty.if the install is done correctly, the mfg warranty will cover the rest. Set up for a sue job ten years down the road.
There's no setup for a sue job any time down the road if you install the product correctly--as long as it's the product the client agreed to. Proper workmanship has no expiration date, unlike materials.

My workmanship is what gets me the WOM and repeat business that keeps me going. Limiting the warranty on that is tantamount to a taillight warranty.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

When I started my business 5 years ago, I just put " with 15 years experience". People still ask me how long have you been in business and I tell them, "5 years this August, but I was a sub/or employed for a few companies, who have probably been asked to submit quotes"
That's all true. Avoid the new kid tag,
Look professional, have pictures on hand to show (iPad phone laptop)
Keep samples of the most popular roofing product or shingle in the back of the truck so you can whip it out to show off.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,960

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you give a 1 or 10 year warranty or no warranty at all. People sue no matter what. If it was good workmanship on day one, it's good workmanship 20 years later. That's the installer's liability.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #16
Pro

That's well said ...my warranty has always been, if there is a problem with what we did , just call me, and I ll do what is right . I agree with what was said ...if it s done correctly , that is better than any warranty, any time ....because a warranty won't be needed . As far as suits go...he's dead right . And most people won't sue just because there was a problem , but are far ,far more likely if offended, insulted or agitated . Also, if they like you , that reduces the chance of a suit ...proven fact.
The Following User Says Thank You to AGullion For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-15-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:03 AM   #17
Pro

Having a verbal policy of going back ten years later to help correct something that came up is one thing. Putting it in writing is another. Things wear out, and it not the fault of the installer. Some roofs only last ten years due to lack of ventilation or insulation. If you are only hired to reshingle the house, you cant be responsible for existing problems in the house. Next they are sueing you for a new install because the roof was supposed to last twenty years. I have shingled many houses and have never had a call back. Never would I give an unlimited warranty. As I said, to each their own.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Quote:
Things wear out, and it not the fault of the installer.
There is a difference between a "workmanship" warranty and a material warranty.

Quote:
Some roofs only last ten years due to lack of ventilation or insulation. If you are only hired to reshingle the house, you cant be responsible for existing problems in the house. Next they are sueing you for a new install because the roof was supposed to last twenty years. I have shingled many houses and have never had a call back. Never would I give an unlimited warranty. As I said, to each their own.
That's part of the responsibility of the installer, with out the proper ventilation the material warranty will be null and void.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

The last thing I would do today is start a roofing company. I have one you can buy instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
1985gt (07-16-2015), flashheatingand (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #20
Particulate Filter

Dont fall for it. Too many legal problems.

Advertisement