New Energy Tax Credit( Cash For Caulker) - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

New Energy Tax Credit( Cash For Caulker)

Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: sales
Rewards Points: 500

New Energy Tax Credit( Cash For Caulker)

anyone know anything about this and how it applies to windows?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Pro

Re: New Energy Tax Credit( Cash For Caulker)

no one has heard any details?

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

There is another thread. Not sure if it's the info you're looking for:

http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/ca...00-home-69452/
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Pro

so,if someone purchases 16k worth of windows,the government will reimburse the homeowner 8k , 50% ?
the other mention is somehow helping a homeowner with upfront costs,how will that work?
a tax credit means the homeowner automatically deducts from their taxes whereas a rebate means a check that goes in the mail at a later date?
also,what will this do to the $1500 tax credit currently in use? thats where it gets real confusing.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
mustardseed

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

here is the latest from http://www.cashforcaulkersinfo.com/

Consumers that take full advantage of this program might be eligible for 50 percent rebate on the price of the equipment and installation—up to $12,000 may be paid for each home, which means that a household that spends $24,000 on upgrades can get half of it back. They can also expect their energy bills to drop to as much as 20 percent.

Despite the proposed program’s many benefits, it has its share of criticisms. According to critics, one of the disadvantages of the program is that it is prone to fraud, especially if it is going to be run through a third party. There is a need for checks and balances to ensure that no abuses are committed and that all parties benefit from the process. The program needs companies that know what they’re doing and can perform an extensive evaluation of a home. As an answer, the administration said that only government-certified contractors are qualified to participate in the program to prevent fraud and abuses.

Last edited by mustardseed; 12-15-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Windows Plus

Trade: Replacement of windows,siding and doors
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
so,if someone purchases 16k worth of windows,the government will reimburse the homeowner 8k , 50% ?
the other mention is somehow helping a homeowner with upfront costs,how will that work?
a tax credit means the homeowner automatically deducts from their taxes whereas a rebate means a check that goes in the mail at a later date?
also,what will this do to the $1500 tax credit currently in use? thats where it gets real confusing.
also like the cash for clunkers is the auto industry, the gov wants the contractor to defer payment I believe half of the credit and they would receive this from the feds in 90 days
Old 12-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: VA Contractor (bathrooms)
Rewards Points: 75

The way it looks you'll have to be a big gonglomerate manufacturer/contractor to benefit from this program. Will probably hurt small businesses as they won't qualify to offer anything.

Then the customer will have no other choice but to use the likes of Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, et al.

Looks nothing short of a bailout for big business the way it's going.

When will people wake up and realize that the government can't give you anything that you don't give it first? Enough with this BS already.

Are we going to get Gov't chits to purchase food in the future? Are we the USA or USSA?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: sun rooms, screen rooms, pergolas, patio covers...
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenB View Post
The way it looks you'll have to be a big gonglomerate manufacturer/contractor to benefit from this program. Will probably hurt small businesses as they won't qualify to offer anything.

Then the customer will have no other choice but to use the likes of Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, et al.

Looks nothing short of a bailout for big business the way it's going.

When will people wake up and realize that the government can't give you anything that you don't give it first? Enough with this BS already.

Are we going to get Gov't chits to purchase food in the future? Are we the USA or USSA?
Darren,

Although I'm trying to remain positive, I'm reading it a lot like you are.

The news reports are talking about some deal with the big box stores to implement the program. Personally, I have a strong aversion to the big box stores. They are terrific marketing people with millions of dollars to spread their message which paints a picture of quality when the truth is they use big name (Pella, as an example) manufacturers to produce a lesser quality product and take advantage of the naive homeowner who thinks a Pella is a Pella. I doubt anyone at Blowes would offer to mention the advantages of Designer or Architect series over the Blowes knock-off.

Reminds me of going to Mexico where every guy on the street has a good deal on a Rolex. The Blowes "Pella" is a similar knock-off. Pella isn't innocent in this scenario either, they just took the bait of big volume.

All that said, if we as taxpayers end up subsidizing the crap the big box stores sell, in five years we'll be using more energy than we are now. By that time maybe we'll get the 23rd stimulus package to do it right.

Isn't amazing how people in the government that couldn't survive 10 minutes in the real world, are telling us how to fix the stuff they broke in the first place? I feel your pain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Z For This Useful Post:
DarrenB (12-16-2009)
Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Pro

fter reading various articles it seems that the government will offerthis to both big box and contractors;although contractors may need some sort of certification.
if this was brought to the floor and only benefiting a lowes or home depot,all hell would break loose. yeah they did it with banks but this is a bit different. lets hope for the best here. benefiting home depot will do absolutely nothing for the economy especially with their very poor quality windows.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

So it was wrong to do for the banks and auto companies but okay now that it affects you? Welfare is welfare.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Pro

thats not what i said. they helped big banks and not really the samll finance companies. also,they were plenty of banks whereas here there are what, 2 big box companies; Lowes and HD?
they need to make sure all licensed contractors have access to this program.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: VA Contractor (bathrooms)
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Good Luck with that. This is going to be big business bailout as usual. No one should want this anyway.

Wake up. There's no such thing as free money. Unless of course your a politician, banker, or some government workers. These people are robbing this country blind.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenB For This Useful Post:
Bill Z (12-17-2009)
Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
thats not what i said. they helped big banks and not really the samll finance companies. also,they were plenty of banks whereas here there are what, 2 big box companies; Lowes and HD?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to direct my post toward you but rather the regular readers of this forum. I was just laughing to myself that when the big boys were getting the bailouts, everyone on here were up in arms about it but now that there is another program out there that may help them directly, there is a lot less discontent. Pot calling the kettle black and all that ya' know?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdat View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to direct my post toward you but rather the regular readers of this forum. I was just laughing to myself that when the big boys were getting the bailouts, everyone on here were up in arms about it but now that there is another program out there that may help them directly, there is a lot less discontent. Pot calling the kettle black and all that ya' know?

i hear you with that.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:

About time the tables turned though. We didnt put our self in the mess the banks did that to them self and sat there whilst we bailed them out. If the smaller guy can make something from this then great but we all know this is going to make only the rich richer.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
Pro

thats a good point,if the governement bailed out the big guys, bail out the small guys..
REMEMBER THIS : if it were'nt for the banks being totally irresponsible, credit would not have freezed and plenty of good quality home owners could have recieved funding for projects we could have done for them. i can tell you a few stories of home owners who have good jobs and good credit but were denied financing. all because of the banks.
anonther important point,banks were supposed to use the TARP money to lend to customers but what do they do,they buy hold it on their balance sheets and buy treasuries because interest rates are at zero. the best thing to happen would be interest rates going up,that would force banks to loan out money. i can explain why higher rates would be good if someone wants me too.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #17

Good home owners? Who are you kidding? The only people that lost out during these times are the people who never should of taken out the loan. No one forced anyone to sign on the dotted line.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cdat For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (12-18-2009)
Old 12-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #18

Quote:
thats a good point,if the governement bailed out the big guys, bail out the small guys..
REMEMBER THIS : if it were'nt for the banks being totally irresponsible, credit would not have freezed and plenty of good quality home owners could have recieved funding for projects we could have done for them. i can tell you a few stories of home owners who have good jobs and good credit but were denied financing. all because of the banks.
anonther important point,banks were supposed to use the TARP money to lend to customers but what do they do,they buy hold it on their balance sheets and buy treasuries because interest rates are at zero. the best thing to happen would be interest rates going up,that would force banks to loan out money. i can explain why higher rates would be good if someone wants me too.
I'd have to call your sources into question. I still have access to loans and I run a business or three. You do business through banks? Well, there is the problem.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,772

Quote:
Good home owners? Who are you kidding? The only people that lost out during these times are the people who never should of taken out the loan. No one forced anyone to sign on the dotted line.
Yes, but if people had jobs, they would pay their bills. People need jobs, not hand outs.

Advertisement