New To Construction - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

New To Construction

Old 02-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Trade: Developer/Site Manager
Rewards Points: 12

New To Construction

Hi I'm new to construction, and I am working as a site manager for a developer. I did electrical work for about 3 years but I liked the construction field a little better. I wanted to know if someone can recommend a book or some books to learn about construction from ground up, and about construction management. My company builds developments from the ground up - forest to people living there- and takes care of all the paperwork. I would like to be able to find something that can help me learn about from site work to closing on the homes. I wouldn't mind books that can also teach regular contractor skills. I would also like to plan for the future so I wouldn't mind starting to read some books about how to build your own company with investors and make investments and how to be your own contractor/developer. Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #2

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 218

Re: New To Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhardt1 View Post
Hi I'm new to construction, and I am working as a site manager for a developer. I did electrical work for about 3 years but I liked the construction field a little better. I wanted to know if someone can recommend a book or some books to learn about construction from ground up, and about construction management. My company builds developments from the ground up - forest to people living there- and takes care of all the paperwork. I would like to be able to find something that can help me learn about from site work to closing on the homes. I wouldn't mind books that can also teach regular contractor skills. I would also like to plan for the future so I wouldn't mind starting to read some books about how to build your own company with investors and make investments and how to be your own contractor/developer. Thanks in advance.
Are you more interested in books on how to build or how to manage?

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #3

Both management and construction, since I need to know about construction and have an understanding of it in order to be a manager. But I would also want to learn management skills and scheduling skills that will help me for my job. I would also like to learn to take with me for future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 952

Not trying to sound too harsh, but how did you get this job? From what you're asking it sounds like you have zero experience or education in this field.
The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
griz (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,346

save yourself a lot of grief and heartache....

marry a rich girl & buy a d2 & a mini ex to play with & have fun...

you can't learn this stuff from books...

sorta like reading how to do open heart surgery...
tang (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #6

My boss' motto is, take someone in and train them and give them a shot. It's a whole conversation for itself of why he would hire me or anyone else with the amount of experience I have. But to give a short answer he's willing on hiring someone pay him less, train him and hopefully he will make a valuable employee. Now he's not dumb, he won't give me a set of plans and say get it done. He's helping me out and he has other site managers that check up and help me out. So right now I'm trying to learn on my own so I can be more valuable to the company. Any help would be appreciated. (But I can say that I've learned a lot from being on the job and asking questions, and there are a lot of guys on the job who don't mind answering and helping out. So for all beginners don't mind asking and don't get thrown off from the people who don't have patience to answer.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Philhardt1 For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

not that we don't have the patience...

or want to help a new guy out...

but you have NO background or experience...

wtf possessed you to enter the construction field?????

should have started as a laborer and learned from the ground up....

hire him & pay him less, cuz he's new & don't know nothing.....

want to buy a bridge????
SmallTownGuy (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

Ok you have a point. But I did do work in the electrical field on commercial job sites. So now I'm just asking if there are any books that can help me advance myself. I don't think that I will learn everything on the job even a laborer can't learn everything on the job, you don't always come across everything. That's why I want to find a book that can help me learn more.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 622

This isn't fair I'm pretty good with my hands and would like to try brain surgery but nobody will give me a chance.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #10
Fire up the BBQ

google "David Gerstel" & "Larry Haun"...

read their books for starters....

don't know of any books on land development....
Philhardt1 (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
google "David Gerstel" & "Larry Haun"...

read their books for starters....

don't know of any books on land development....
Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
This isn't fair I'm pretty good with my hands and would like to try brain surgery but nobody will give me a chance.
You all have a point, but let me out my question like this. I'm trying to learn more about the field/industry. Now I can't ask diy guys so I'm trying to ask professionals in the business. That's all. Why I got into this field is because I like it. Why someone would hire me is because he sees something in me that I can help him. But if I would ask a heart surgeon how to do heart surgery he might tell me and I wouldn't understand and he would tell me I have to go to school and read these books but at least I'm learning what I would have to do to know how to do it. That's why I'm asking here to be able to learn more about the industry. I'm not asking for someone to teach me I'm asking if someone has a book or something that they read that might help me out.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #13
Fire up the BBQ

sounds like in your situation you will be better off asking specific questions so we can point you in the right direction.

you will need to learn a lot of terminology.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #14

For now I know not to ask dumb questions here because I'm not experienced enough and I would have to learn a lot before I can start asking. But I'm just looking to learn from somewhere, so I want to read. And I enjoy reading, and I appreciate your help with those books. Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 846

There are some textbooks for construction management and land development college curriculum that would have some useful information.

You'd have to do some research to find them though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #16
Fire up the BBQ

to coin an old phrase...there are no dumb questions...

if you have a legitimate reason to want to learn and are willing to take some of the ribbing that goes with it ask away...

seems like you are on the right track to realize that being in construction fields, and being a fng, will take some very thick skin...
SmallTownGuy (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #17

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 218

I would read The Extremely Efficient Carpenter to begin to get a grasp of putting a building together efficiently. Perhaps watch Essential Craftsman on YouTube to get your head in the game of "development". He is building a house and going through every detail of planning it and developing the site on his channel.

Most new managers in construction run into trouble getting into theory and approach that is laughable if you are in the field. You will need to be very unaggressive and make it your goal to do everything you can to simplify things for the crews. Things like having good order that are placed appropriately, schedules that make people lives easier not harder, a plan that jives with the weather and proper communication and notification at the right time. If you can keep things moving and stay out of the way for a few years you may catch a groove that works for you. Go in and try to be the boss and this will come to a quick end.

Last edited by Ed Hartmann; 02-18-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,722

Quote:
My boss' motto is, take someone in and train them and give them a shot. It's a whole conversation for itself of why he would hire me or anyone else with the amount of experience I have. But to give a short answer he's willing on hiring someone pay him less, train him and hopefully he will make a valuable employee. Now he's not dumb, he won't give me a set of plans and say get it done. He's helping me out and he has other site managers that check up and help me out. So right now I'm trying to learn on my own so I can be more valuable to the company. Any help would be appreciated. (But I can say that I've learned a lot from being on the job and asking questions, and there are a lot of guys on the job who don't mind answering and helping out. So for all beginners don't mind asking and don't get thrown off from the people who don't have patience to answer.)

Hire for character, train for skill.

It sounds like this is a good boss to work for. He has enough people who are willing to help out an inquisitive self starting new hire.

Meanwhile, the rest of the general contractors are trying to crack the conundrum of how to find reliable help by hiring for skill but ignoring character.

Phil, you’re in a good spot, and this forum is a great resource for resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mordekyle; 02-19-2019 at 11:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
fjn (02-19-2019), SmallTownGuy (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,714

Two possibilities to get up to speed,for $99 you can buy a flash drive archive from Finehome Building magazine with every article from 1981--2019. It will contain over 1,600 articles,ranging from footings to roof tops and everything in between,including some on management. Also,take out a yearly subscription to Journal of Light Construction,commonly called JLC. Doing so,will allow you to access all of their archives as part of your subscription. They have been around very close to same time frame,hence,about same volume of topics and subject matter.

Having those resources will allow you to quickly search the topic you need feed back on at any give time,along with various book reviews etc..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-19-2019), tang (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #20
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,134

Quote:
Hi I'm new to construction, and I am working as a site manager for a developer. .........
Holy Cow.

Advertisement