Never Had This Happen Before - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Never Had This Happen Before

Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #1

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 32

Never Had This Happen Before

This is my 40th year as a deck/fence builder. This is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this, so blatent, so direct.

Last week, a client advertised in Kijiji looking for a contractor to install a door to her basement. I've done this before, and am familiar with underpinning the basement slab, the foundations, etc. My son called her, and an appointment was set.
two days later, she called to cancel.It seems another contractor, a Hartley G., was also bidding the job. He is apparently a window/door contractor.
Anyway, he apparently told this woman that we are a terrible company, that we know nothing about installing doors, that my son drives Uber in the winter(True, but so what: in Toronto deck installss are only 8-9 months a year) and that we couldn't be trusted as we have suspicious work and payment policies, and why would she hire a deck company to do the work instead of a window company. Anyway, he was so viscous that she felt that she couldn't trust us.
We were completely taken aback. For one thing We strive extremely hard to satisfy people(always have, but now especially with the rise of Homestars, Yelp, and such)We have literally never heard of this guy before. We have had no dealings, no association ,no history of him. Going to his website he apparently abuses his workers, and he shows pictures of himself as a young man doing wheelies on his motorcycle, then pix of his Current Harley bagger.
On top of that, my son did some internet research and found a conviction for him going back 10 years for drugs and weapons charges.
In the end, we decided not to pursue this client, as the bad juju probably can't be overcome, but we did call her back and sent her the links to this guy's past. Good luck to him.

It just beggars my mind that someone would be so desperate for work as to stoop this low.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,828

Re: Never Had This Happen Before

They don't have to be desperate to do that, that's just how some are. Anything to get the job, then whatever you need to do to cut corners or get change orders.

Some of these guys can be pretty big.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,691

Individuals, groups, or Nations, Never make themselves better by cutting down the competition.....

If you do want to play the ranking game, would not a up scale outfit not even consider fly-by-nighters as competition?

Going forward, isn't having workers that DON't take unemployment payments they HAVE earned by working for themselves during layoffs a good thing? for the Nation and the cheaper Unemployment premiums?

= lower bids next season......

Document your off primary skill sets during the next slow spell....

Some female and male customers are attracted to "bad Boyez" inspite of all the added costs of dealing with them.
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,402

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Deck guy View Post
This is my 40th year as a deck/fence builder. This is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this, so blatent, so direct.

Last week, a client advertised in Kijiji looking for a contractor to install a door to her basement. I've done this before, and am familiar with underpinning the basement slab, the foundations, etc. My son called her, and an appointment was set.
two days later, she called to cancel.It seems another contractor, a Hartley G., was also bidding the job. He is apparently a window/door contractor.
Anyway, he apparently told this woman that we are a terrible company, that we know nothing about installing doors, that my son drives Uber in the winter(True, but so what: in Toronto deck installss are only 8-9 months a year) and that we couldn't be trusted as we have suspicious work and payment policies, and why would she hire a deck company to do the work instead of a window company. Anyway, he was so viscous that she felt that she couldn't trust us.
We were completely taken aback. For one thing We strive extremely hard to satisfy people(always have, but now especially with the rise of Homestars, Yelp, and such)We have literally never heard of this guy before. We have had no dealings, no association ,no history of him. Going to his website he apparently abuses his workers, and he shows pictures of himself as a young man doing wheelies on his motorcycle, then pix of his Current Harley bagger.
On top of that, my son did some internet research and found a conviction for him going back 10 years for drugs and weapons charges.
In the end, we decided not to pursue this client, as the bad juju probably can't be overcome, but we did call her back and sent her the links to this guy's past. Good luck to him.

It just beggars my mind that someone would be so desperate for work as to stoop this low.
It's just how some operate... Rather than throw mud back at him (especially since you've never heard of him), which leaves you both dirty, just stick with the facts...

Would have just sent her the following two pages from your website...

http://www.fenceanddeck.ca/gallery/t...s.php?album=13
http://www.fenceanddeck.ca/what.php

But as a side note, if you're going to list "Our Professional Memberships and Associations", you should either remove the banner or actually list them...
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Scum bag human beings. If I can't make a sell without degrading others I am nothing. My work and my reputation are all that I need. If a client buys into that kind of sales tactic thank the good Lord you lost that job. They deserve each other.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-23-2019), EricBrancard (08-22-2019), fjn (08-21-2019), Fouthgeneration (08-21-2019), goneelkn (08-21-2019), hdavis (08-21-2019), Randy Bush (08-21-2019), spazman (08-21-2019), TxElectrician (08-21-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

[
But as a side note, if you're going to list "Our Professional Memberships and Associations", you should either remove the banner or actually list them...[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I agree 100%. My son is a professional web site developer, and I have been waiting patiently for him to do my new site. The beta version has been "almost" ready for 2 years!!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,006

that stuff kills me .you cannot respond but you want to .
cool thing is occassionally i have been the one hired to go back fix the person who was SO better then me . well at least once ,which i humbly did .
Old 08-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
that stuff kills me .you cannot respond but you want to .
cool thing is occassionally i have been the one hired to go back fix the person who was SO better then me . well at least once ,which i humbly did .
Why can't you respond?
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRenovate View Post
Why can't you respond?
because if someone puts me down to a client or potential client ,well if i know them real well I can say "bull****" .though in this case they do not know him so he would bring him down to the other persons level .client doesn't know and they'll trust who is loudest .It just doesn't seem a good thing to argue .
looking back on jobsights while searching for a response .
remember once I came on to a new jobsight - after a few weeks forman says to me " when I heard about you I thought you'd be a real A$#%e but your not that way at all" We became good friends or work sight wise .
I think I got that reputation from pointing things out ,Sure did not mean to push peoples buttons ,just trying to help .And really I am not anal by any means .
Maybe I cannot answer this so well .Just my opinion also .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFM constr For This Useful Post:
fjn (08-23-2019), SmallTownGuy (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 134

Are you "Stone Mountain"?

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Are you "Stone Mountain"?
not since 2009. I was forced to close that one down by circumstances beyond my control. Lost pretty much everything but started all over.
The Following User Says Thank You to the Deck guy For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,878

Quote:
Why can't you respond?

Well,yes you can,but............the more you push against something,the more it expands. That is how the old saying came about,"let sleeping dogs lay".
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Well,yes you can,but............the more you push against something,the more it expands. That is how the old saying came about,"let sleeping dogs lay".
But he isn't sleeping. He is actively bad mouthing you. It's called slander and I would sue them for it.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 1,214

Quote:
Aka “the Streisand effect”
Old 08-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
You can do some FUD, like saying the only contractors you've heard of badmouthing to get a job were desperate.

Then wish her luck on her project.

Old criminal convictions and Facebook after you've lost out is just sour grapes.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
But he isn't sleeping. He is actively bad mouthing you. It's called slander and I would sue them for it.
Superior Court, prepare to drop $20K.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Superior Court, prepare to drop $20K.
Depends on your agreement with your lawyer.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:

The inside of a court room is the last place I want to visit. My mother,bless her departed soul spent over FIFTY Years working as a legal secretary. The best advise she tried imparting to me was "try your hardest to never a defendant or plaintiff be" .

There IS such a thing as what goes around comes around,let that "law" deal with him. I know I'm being philosophical,can't help it. A great essay IMHO is the essay Compensation by R.W. Emmerson.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
Rio (08-24-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
Aka “the Streisand effect”

Interesting Eric ! Never heard it put that way,but yeah,same principle.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
The one thing I think we can all agree on,he IS a dog. So let him be and he will go to sleep.

If one pokes dogs with sticks,they don't fall asleep.

Advertisement