Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.contractortalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Neighbour is sketchy and wants me to do a job for him. How to say no without a fuss. (https://www.contractortalk.com/f11/neighbour-sketchy-wants-me-do-job-him-how-say-no-without-fuss-415843/)

vancouver dave 02-14-2019 08:44 PM

Neighbour is sketchy and wants me to do a job for him. How to say no without a fuss.
 
I have a bad vibe about the guy and it's a ****ty job he wants me to do.
First he called me 3 times in 5 minutes when I was busy, then he called me again and I answered. He wants me to look at some tiling.
So I say I can come over now as Im home and he's just a few doors down.
But he says he's busy, then he calls me 5 minuets later and says 'come now' Not can you come now.
So I went over and he said "I was going to come and knock on your door today" ?? On top of the 4 phone calls!
So I looked at the tile job and it's patching up some bathroom tiles. Said I'd look to see if any tiles similar are available and get back to him.
Then next morning calls me again.... says "where is price" erm, well seeing as it's the beginning of the day I haven't got a price for him.... and at that point I thought *** this, I don't want to work for this guy.
Anyway another call today and ignored it.

What would you do? Call him and say busy or something?

griz 02-14-2019 08:48 PM

tell him tank you for the opportunity but i will not be able to accommodate you.

then just make certain you never bitch to him about being slow....

MarkJames 02-14-2019 10:53 PM

If/when you speak again (eg. next phone call), just calmly say you're not going to able to commit to this....just too much going on (be vague, then pause..."but thanks for the call". Resist any urge to explain further, or make any future commitment. Stay in the present.

Jay hole 02-14-2019 11:11 PM

Just move!!!

Golden view 02-14-2019 11:17 PM

I tell people my work radius is more of a donut shape. Nothing too close to home!

B.Johnson 02-15-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vancouver dave (Post 7477119)
I have a bad vibe about the guy and it's a ****ty job he wants me to do.
First he called me 3 times in 5 minutes when I was busy, then he called me again and I answered. He wants me to look at some tiling.
So I say I can come over now as Im home and he's just a few doors down.
But he says he's busy, then he calls me 5 minuets later and says 'come now' Not can you come now.
So I went over and he said "I was going to come and knock on your door today" ?? On top of the 4 phone calls!
So I looked at the tile job and it's patching up some bathroom tiles. Said I'd look to see if any tiles similar are available and get back to him.
Then next morning calls me again.... says "where is price" erm, well seeing as it's the beginning of the day I haven't got a price for him.... and at that point I thought *** this, I don't want to work for this guy.
Anyway another call today and ignored it.

What would you do? Call him and say busy or something?

This is exactly what you should do if you don't want me to work for you.

Lady Dreamer 02-15-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden view (Post 7477291)
I tell people my work radius is more of a donut shape. Nothing too close to home!

Probably a good idea!!! If they live too close they know when you're home and they can come over and bug you!! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pinwheel 02-15-2019 08:43 AM

Just one more reason I'm glad I don't have any neighbors closer than 3 miles.

Big Johnson 02-15-2019 08:52 AM

I’ll almost always look at something for a neighbor, friends or family but it ends there with me giving them a phone number of someone else they can hire. I tell them they are cutting out the middleman (me). They almost never call the number I give them, I think they are usually just looking for me to do it for them quick and cheep like they see on hgtv.

RichVT 02-15-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vancouver dave (Post 7477119)
So I looked at the tile job and it's patching up some bathroom tiles.

Tiles probably need "patching up" because they were not installed properly in the first place. What's loose now is probably the tip of the iceberg.

Just remember you touch it, you own it.

hdavis 02-15-2019 09:06 AM

Tell him it's going to be more headache than you want.

avenge 02-15-2019 09:09 AM

I tell them I don't work for relatives, neighbors or friends and I'm very expensive.

dsconstructs 02-15-2019 09:16 AM

Keep it about the work.....I don't do tile patches. It's either a complete redo or nothing. Put a high price to the redo and he'll go looking elsewhere.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne 02-15-2019 11:14 AM

Go to the morgue and get a dead body about your size and weight.

Have a shady dentist pull all your teeth, and install them in the dead guy. Watch "The Whole Nine Yards" if you want to see how this is done. :blink:

Steal a license plate off of some random vehicle, and put it on yours. Pack your favorite items in the car, and then report it stolen.

Put the dead guy in your house, and burn the f^%#er down.


Then, you should have a day or two to leave the state/province/maybe country, and disappear forever.

You'll have to blow the car up somewhere along the way, before you get to your final destination.









He'll never find you. :thumbsup:

Lady Dreamer 02-15-2019 11:19 AM

Hahaha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Unger.const 02-15-2019 11:37 AM

Just tell him the hardest part is finding the tiles......and tell him places he can go to waste his time trying to either find out they are discontinued or he finds 5hem and gets them. Then either way you cut out the time wasted stuff. Send him on the goose chase and he won't be bugging you.

tang 02-15-2019 02:06 PM

I just don't think I'm a good fit for this job,,,, but try these guys! I've done it many times. I give them the most expensive contractor I can think of!!

SmallTownGuy 02-15-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

I have a bad vibe about the guy and it's a ****ty job he wants me to do.
Try this: "It's ****ty job and I just don't want to do it."

Ed Hartmann 02-15-2019 03:36 PM

"I can tell you are eager to get this done, I'm not going to be able to get to it"


It is very polite, but lets him know that his manic personality is part of why it's not happening.

Old Bird 02-15-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avenge (Post 7477529)
I tell them I don't work for relatives, neighbors or friends and I'm very expensive.

This !! You'll find it to be a good policy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.