Need Some Advice - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Need Some Advice

Old 01-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

Trade: GC

Need Some Advice

I am currently working for a builder. I have been with him for 5 years. We started as a customer builder doing 8-12 houses a year. Now we are selling semi-custom houses and I have 17 going on right now and three in the pipeline. I do everything from meeting with clients & doing selections, getting quotes for selections and reviewing them to issue purchase orders, I coordinate with the bank to set up construction loans (we finance pre-solds) I manage the accounts payable, accounts receivable & oversee my assistant that processes invoices. We use a strict purchase order system to make it more streamlined. We also use a software program to organize everything. I also red-like and maintain plans. File for permits handle the insurances. Schedule closings and communicate with title companies. I do all of this for $53,000 salary while working 12-15 hours a day at least 3 days a week. My boss and I got into a pretty big argument yesterday because he wants me to throw away my draw schedule binder and my notepad where I project a month of draws so I know where my money is on a week to week basis so I can pay people on Friday and set up an automatic draw through our software for the bank to get automatic notifications to send me draws. Well, I have some serious reservations about this. What if the bank doesn’t get the notification? When I email (I set up a template in my email so all I have to do is plug in the draw amounts) I get a read receipt and I know to follow up in a day or so if the bank hasn’t funded my draw. So basically I feel like my opinion isn’t valued when I expressed my concerns and he basically said I’m not willing to change and I’m not a good team member. So I told him that maybe I’m not the right person for the team. I feel underpaid, overworked, unappreciated and if I’m doing an excellent job - every customer praises me, all subs/vendors praise me & im doing a damn good job at everything. Why can’t I continue to do back draws my way? He claims he is trying to create efficiencies to help me. But shouldn’t he ask what I need help with instead of telling me what we are going to do? I just need some advice. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,702

Re: Need Some Advice

So, he wants you to drop the manual emails and use automated emails from your software package?

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
Pro

It sounds like your company has an integrated software package, and it's the company's call if they want to use all features. That's pretty much it.

The software is a tool and everyone using it it how it gets paid for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #4

Automatic bank draws are not part of the package what he wants to do is set a to do notification up in the system which is linked to the calendar to automatically send the request to the bank the problem is one it’s a third-party system and sometimes those notifications go to junk or spam especially to places that have firewall set up such as banks . My other issue is that as a builder you know that money coming in is critical to payables and when you’re relying on a Nother system that may or may not deliver to the bank to request a draw there is no confirmation that it is even received much less ordered and funded You are also relying on a system instead of someone that is using common sense that knows and can communicate effectively when to schedule the inspection. You are also relying on a system instead of someone that is using common sense that knows and communicate effectively when to schedule the inspection If I do not project draws a month in advance how are you supposed to know what to pay every week especially when you have a large payments do such as dirt and framing lumber those are big ticket items and if no one is keeping track of when the draws are coming how do you know how much to pay every week and what to hold back
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #5

I apologize for the grammatical errors I am using talk to text.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Pro

Do managers have to ask for input before making changes? No.

Is it predictable that some people are going to resist those changes? Yes.

Asking what you think can help you is actually a separate issue regarding company culture. Some do, some don't.

Going over proposed changes is also a company culture issue. Some will do a lot of early work to get people on board before rolling out changes, some just say this is the change, do it. Either works.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #7

I understand that, but my input was asked for. I’m the one that has taken care of this for the last 4 years and knows how it works & what works best for me. I told him I would do whatever he wanted it’s his decision but I had some serious concerns - then was told that’s a great attitude to have and that I’m really a great team member. - sarcastically. When I said I potentially see a major problem with having money in the account when needed to make payroll on Friday he basically said if the checks bounce they bounce.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueskyyz For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskyyz View Post
Automatic bank draws are not part of the package what he wants to do is set a to do notification up in the system which is linked to the calendar to automatically send the request to the bank the problem is one itís a third-party system and sometimes those notifications go to junk or spam especially to places that have firewall set up such as banks . My other issue is that as a builder you know that money coming in is critical to payables and when youíre relying on a Nother system that may or may not deliver to the bank to request a draw there is no confirmation that it is even received much less ordered and funded You are also relying on a system instead of someone that is using common sense that knows and can communicate effectively when to schedule the inspection. You are also relying on a system instead of someone that is using common sense that knows and communicate effectively when to schedule the inspection If I do not project draws a month in advance how are you supposed to know what to pay every week especially when you have a large payments do such as dirt and framing lumber those are big ticket items and if no one is keeping track of when the draws are coming how do you know how much to pay every week and what to hold back
You expressed your concerns, I assume.

The software should be able to generate reports roughly matching up to your current system. I'd consider running those routinely as a hard copy back up in case you have a major glitch.

The going to SPAM possibility could be pretty major. You can either deal with it as it comes up, or run tests to fix issues before the screw up real transactions. Either way, that's going to be working out any issues with each recipient. Green light based on sender and possibly subject line. Only the recipients can tell you what they can do on their end.

I'd ask my boss if they wanted me to fix things as they break, or be proactive in testing to make sure there are no glitches
Old 01-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 19,287

Try "period new paragraph" and see if it helps your posts.

Last edited by MarkJames; 01-29-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Pro

OK, so if they bounce, they bounce.

Unless this is the top guy telling you to do it, if checks start bouncing, he's going to drop that in your lap.

Write up a little plan that shows how you're going to get this implemented and focus on what you'll be doing to prevent problems or just spotting problems as they come up.

Give him a copy.

People who don't deal with implementing software a lot don't appreciate how quickly it can trash a business.

Last edited by hdavis; 01-29-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
Pro

Also, make sure EVERYONE knows you're going to a software system and ask them to let you know if they see a problem. Communication when making changes us critical.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,066

Emails to banks can get sent to spam. The first time. In my experience, after it is opened, the system lets them through. Also, most banks have an IT person on staff. They could easily fix the problem.

The biggest issue here is change. You don't want to change. You brought up the issues. It's his company. Do it his way. Maybe it won't work. Maybe it will. Maybe it will with some tweaking.

Is $53,000 a low salary for you area. You said you feel underpaid. I can only assume $53,000 is low for your area?
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,488

Welcome to the world of sparkly bright shiny new toys, technology. If I read your post right you keep a very tight projection on cash flow and scheduling. Well timed accuracy keeps what you manage on track and efficient. The new high tech system does not have any real oversight or ability to project future needs or issues that may need changes.

Are you saying? -The new system won't actually make your load lighter or the company even more efficient. You'll still have to do what you and now babysit this software. Making sure things aren't missed and bring proactive out into the future.

If so, carefully, in writing explain what you see as it's short comings and see what they say. LOL You'll probably get the same answer, however you have outlined your argument and overtime you can actually point out the short comings. They'll come around real quick if you are spending more hours per week, the schedules are falling behind and monies are not as timely distributed.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 31,584

Quote:
I am currently working for a builder. I have been with him for 5 years. We started as a customer builder doing 8-12 houses a year. Now we are selling semi-custom houses and I have 17 going on right now and three in the pipeline. I do everything from meeting with clients & doing selections, getting quotes for selections and reviewing them to issue purchase orders, I coordinate with the bank to set up construction loans (we finance pre-solds) I manage the accounts payable, accounts receivable & oversee my assistant that processes invoices. We use a strict purchase order system to make it more streamlined. We also use a software program to organize everything. I also red-like and maintain plans. File for permits handle the insurances. Schedule closings and communicate with title companies. I do all of this for $53,000 salary while working 12-15 hours a day at least 3 days a week. My boss and I got into a pretty big argument yesterday because he wants me to throw away my draw schedule binder and my notepad where I project a month of draws so I know where my money is on a week to week basis so I can pay people on Friday and set up an automatic draw through our software for the bank to get automatic notifications to send me draws. Well, I have some serious reservations about this. What if the bank doesn’t get the notification? When I email (I set up a template in my email so all I have to do is plug in the draw amounts) I get a read receipt and I know to follow up in a day or so if the bank hasn’t funded my draw. So basically I feel like my opinion isn’t valued when I expressed my concerns and he basically said I’m not willing to change and I’m not a good team member. So I told him that maybe I’m not the right person for the team. I feel underpaid, overworked, unappreciated and if I’m doing an excellent job - every customer praises me, all subs/vendors praise me & im doing a damn good job at everything. Why can’t I continue to do back draws my way? He claims he is trying to create efficiencies to help me. But shouldn’t he ask what I need help with instead of telling me what we are going to do? I just need some advice. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
To start off... I don't care what state you live in, you are indeed being underpaid for your position and every hour you work over 40 (assuming you're salaried), it just makes it even less/worse... that said...

If you were asked for input, and gave it, as you said, it's his decision... just be glad he weighed your input (meaning it had value) instead of just implementing it without your input... if he didn't value it, he wouldn't have asked... just because you disagree with his decision, doesn't mean it's wrong for the company or that he doesn't value your opinion...

It's done... time to learn to adapt to his decision and put the interests of the company in play (as opposed to whether or not it works for you as an individual) by finding ways to make it work as the person who handles it... could be where his sarcasm regarding being team player came from on it...

Who knows... maybe in embracing what he wants done, you'll end up finding a better way that involves his method and yours... but if you're not being proactive in working to make what he wants done work, you risk coming across as looking for any reason not to make it work, because you don't personally like it... you push yourself more into the liability as opposed to asset column...

Always look for win/wins...

Last edited by KAP; 01-29-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
To start off... I don't care what state you live in, you are indeed being underpaid for your position and every hour you work over 40 (assuming you're salaried), it just makes it even less/worse... that said...

Always look for win/wins...
I think it makes a difference. $53,000 in San Francisco is different than $53,000 in the midwest.
But, I misread his post. I thought he was saying he worked 3 days a week. After your post and after I re-read it, I'm now thinking he is working 5 days a week, with 3 of those days running 12 - 15 hours.

My first reaction was $53,000 a year for 45 hours a week is good. I was trying to figure our how he got away with 3 days a week.
Hahahhaahhah
Old 01-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 31,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
I think it makes a difference. $53,000 in San Francisco is different than $53,000 in the midwest.
But, I misread his post. I thought he was saying he worked 3 days a week. After your post and after I re-read it, I'm now thinking he is working 5 days a week, with 3 of those days running 12 - 15 hours.

My first reaction was $53,000 a year for 45 hours a week is good. I was trying to figure our how he got away with 3 days a week.
Hahahhaahhah
While there is of course a difference in economies from one state to another, my point was, it didn't matter what state, he wasn't being paid enough for his role...

With three days a week at 12-15 hours (in essence 52-61 hours/week), he's actually hosing himself pretty good working those hours at that salary...

Look at it this way... a guy making $15/hour working the same hours he does would be paid...
$31K... 40 hourweek x $15/hour x 2080
...then add...
$14K... if he worked 12 hours OT (40 hour work week plus three 12 hour days)
$24.5K... if he worked 21 hours OT (40 hour work week plus three 15 hour days)
Now a $53K salary sounds good ($25/hour) IF he was only working a 40-hour work week and therefore making $25/hour (but even that's low)... But as you can see, for every hour he works past the 40 hours, he REDUCES what he is making per hour while putting in more work, the exact opposite of the guy working for $15/hour...

Taking into consideration the hours he works beyond 40 hours, he is in essence making in the area of $15/hour... and that is NOT commensurate with his role, length of employment and experience no matter what state he is in IMO... now keep in mind, he didn't mention any bonuses or perks, so we're talking straight pay...

Last edited by KAP; 01-29-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Welcome to the world of sparkly bright shiny new toys, technology. If I read your post right you keep a very tight projection on cash flow and scheduling. Well timed accuracy keeps what you manage on track and efficient. The new high tech system does not have any real oversight or ability to project future needs or issues that may need changes.

Are you saying? -The new system won't actually make your load lighter or the company even more efficient. You'll still have to do what you and now babysit this software. Making sure things aren't missed and bring proactive out into the future.

If so, carefully, in writing explain what you see as it's short comings and see what they say. LOL You'll probably get the same answer, however you have outlined your argument and overtime you can actually point out the short comings. They'll come around real quick if you are spending more hours per week, the schedules are falling behind and monies are not as timely distributed.

Yes, I absolutely keep a tight projection on cash flow & draws. I look a month out at where my draws are coming and in which weeks so I know how to pace myself with paying payroll/large lumber statements credit card payments etc. He says my notebook of monthly draw projections is a waste of time and that it’s 2019 everything should be electronic and I’m not embracing technology. Like I stated in my original post. I have 17 jobs currently under construction and 3 in design phase. That’s 17 houses I’m getting draws on & dealing with clients for selections and reviewing quotes from vendors and issuing purchase orders for work. If he is trying to help me by creating efficiencies to eleviate my work load, automating bank draws doesn’t save much of my time especially if I have to spend more time making sure the bank gets the draw requests and hope they’re received on time. If not, it will effect Who & When people get paid. Letting checks bounce is not acceptable to me and if the owner of the company is ok with that, it makes me question whether or not I even want to be associated with the company. Hoping that was a tongue in cheek response from him. Obviously the same bank your getting loans from doesn’t want to see your account overdrawn.

Yes, I am in a salaried position. I work 5 days a week - not three (sorry for the confusion) The owners want me to one day take over their business with another team member and we are supposedly “equals” Co worker is the Construction Manager. I am the Project Administration Manager. I feel we both have equal responsiblilities in different areas. If I don’t do my job, he can’t do his efficiently. He relies on me to make things happen to keep his job on schedule and run smoothly. Banking, permitting, selections, purchase orders for materials etc. I am paid $24,000.00 - year less than him and I’ve been here 1-1/2 years longer. He also has a take home company vehicle to use and I do not. There are no medical benefits 401k etc. Everyone says how wonderful I am and that they couldn’t do this job without me. My yearly evaluations are always 100%. We are a small organization and we are like a family, but I am really just at a crossroads on what to do. I feel underpaid unappreciated and undervalued. Sorry for the lengthy posts LOL I just don’t know if I’m wrong for feeling this way or if I’m right. What are y’alls thoughts?
Old 01-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Yes, I am in a salaried position. I work 5 days a week - not three (sorry for the confusion) The owners want me to one day take over their business with another team member and we are supposedly ďequalsĒ Co worker is the Construction Manager. I am the Project Administration Manager. I feel we both have equal responsiblilities in different areas. If I donít do my job, he canít do his efficiently. He relies on me to make things happen to keep his job on schedule and run smoothly. Banking, permitting, selections, purchase orders for materials etc. I am paid $24,000.00 - year less than him and Iíve been here 1-1/2 years longer. He also has a take home company vehicle to use and I do not. There are no medical benefits 401k etc. Everyone says how wonderful I am and that they couldnít do this job without me. My yearly evaluations are always 100%. We are a small organization and we are like a family, but I am really just at a crossroads on what to do. I feel underpaid unappreciated and undervalued. Sorry for the lengthy posts LOL I just donít know if Iím wrong for feeling this way or if Iím right. What are yíalls thoughts?
The working 3 days a week was really my misunderstanding. Even after I posted, I was wondering how you were only working 3 days a week.

Now, you are telling us, a guy with 1 1/2 years less experience is making $77,000 a year with a company truck.
No wonder you are feeling undervalued and underappreciated.
One thing that could cause that is the position you have. Some people don't appreciate how much work goes into the paper end of the business. They see the other guy in a different light.

Sounds, to me, like you are being overworked, way too much. I am going to guess you are working 66 hours a week. 3 - 12s and 2 - 15s.
Is it possible the owner sees this also? Is he thinking you need to change your work habits and he focused on the payroll thing?
It is possible you are doing more work than is necessary? I have seen some people take way too long to do a job. Something they could get done quicker, but their personal work habits prevent them from doing it quicker.

Good luck. No matter what you decide, it sounds like you have the skills to be a benefit to several companies.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #19

I would say at least 60 hours a week on average. I know i have a heavy work load and everything I do I find the most efficient way to do it. Let’s be honest nobody wants to just do more work than they have to. That being said, we went from 24 starts in a year to 17 currently under construction right now with 3 more coming up - 2 are going to be closing soon. It’s just so much work at one time that it’s taking the man hours to get it all done. Requesting draws takes so little time I feel there’s other areas that I could find that would free up some of my time. A few weeks ago I came up with some ideas to solidify on the front end prior to contract signing so I’m not dealing with so many changes and change orders on the fly - which would be a detailed plan review. Cabinets, door swings, light switches, tv locations, window lites etc.

Someone mentioned bonuses above. I’ve been promised a bonus based on production since 6 months after I started. I do get a Christmas bonus around 5K. Since they want me to take on more of an ownership role, they’ve been talking about profit sharing - 5% of total profit after administrative expenses and other employee bonuses. I have zero control over where they choose to spend money administrative-wise. I also have zero control over spec houses that sit and lose money nor lots that’ve been purchased and interest paid for years that also add up to a loss. We also have a salesperson that is on track to earn over 100k this year. The only person that is profiting from this much volume is our sales person which has zero responsibility actually building the house.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #20
Pro

Wow.

More than doubling starts y/y, a manager who doesn't care if payroll is met, promises of rewards on the back end if you work your butt off now.

Find a better job.

Advertisement