Need To Get More Leads - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Need To Get More Leads

Old 05-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Trade: Landscaping & Excavation
Rewards Points: 2

Need To Get More Leads

Hello,

I need suggestions on how to get more leads. I am out of Connecticut and specialize in excavation and lawn care services I am using homeadvisor and it is not working out at all. The leads that i call are going no where or they are asking such a low price to do the work. Please any suggestions would be helpful.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,306

Re: Need To Get More Leads

I took out a half page in my local Home Mag. $1,400.00 a month with a two month minimum. That was January and February and I've renewed every month since. In fact I added another city for another $500.00 a month and thats paid for itself too.

I dumped homeadvisor after 12 1/2 years. They were charging me for leads for which I was not profiled. That's stealing.
Attached Thumbnails
Need to get more leads-unnamed-1-.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,678

Professionally built website by someone good that specializes in small business's like ours. Thread closed

Kidding but it will get leads. Period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (05-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 530

Hopefully you are taking the home advisor link off your add
Old 05-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,662

Might want to try a BNI networking group. HERE is a link. Follow that fill out the form for local specifics. It will return a list a chapters. Look at each chapter and find the ones that don't have a landscaper listed. The single landscape seat in most groups do very very well.

Contact the membership person/s or just show up at a meeting. Tell them you are a visitor. See how the meeting works and talk to someone from the membership committee after. They will likely come to you to explain more and answer questions.

Cheapest marketing program you'll ever find, if you are willing to get to know the other members and refer them. Not all groups are equal so don't be afraid to look at a couple.

PM me if you'd like with questions.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Kowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post
Hopefully you are taking the home advisor link off your add
Bull Trout:

I'm investigating as to whether or not homeadvisor will try to make a copyright claim on my reviews. Instead of quitting HA completely, I've reduced my tasks to Feng Shui in my zip code only. This reduces my expenses with them to zero since I haven't gotten a Feng Shui call, but preserves my access to my 400 reviews without a dispute.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (05-13-2018), onmywayup (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
Bull Trout:

I'm investigating as to whether or not homeadvisor will try to make a copyright claim on my reviews. Instead of quitting HA completely, I've reduced my tasks to Feng Shui in my zip code only. This reduces my expenses with them to zero since I haven't gotten a Feng Shui call, but preserves my access to my 400 reviews without a dispute.
That's a hell of an idea. I haven't had need for the leads in years, but I have always hesitated to shut down my account due to the 150 reviews on there. They always show up in Google searches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
Kowboy (05-13-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: repair , and remodeling
Rewards Points: 304

you want advice?
so many variables here

how do you know its not something your doing wrong in your sales approach?
are you letting people know why its better to pay a little more for a truly better product?
are you a better product?
or are you charging more for the exact same product they can buy cheaper?
how are you , and your guys , when your on the job ?
does that customer think " these guys are awesome"?
will they want to refer you?
check in with steady clients now and then ( don't over do it ,but send send an email like
" hey , how's it going , here's a pic of some of the work we did this week . let me know if you need us. thanks "

what ever clients you have or get , ask them if they are on Angieslist.
ask them to please put you on that , I get allot better clients from there than I did with home advisors or handyman connection.

call or go see suppliers , and ask if they can give your name out .
email and show their products on your jobs .

I`m referred by a lumber yard that is been around for 50 years , they are a landmark

took years of truly being nice to them , and letting know what my work was .I`d send them picks of my projects
with comments like: " heres your materials at work!"

im sorry , buy all the advertising gin the world wont help if you can`t nail the estimate.
and personality sells .

when on a new job, I basically let my guys know .
" we have this job . if they don`t refer us or call us back , we lose!"
Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
Kowboy

"im sorry , buy all the advertising gin the world wont help if you can`t nail the estimate."

I'm sorry, but all the estimating in the world is useless if you don't have someone to estimate for and you get people to estimate for through leads.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Structural Glazing
Rewards Points: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Professionally built website by someone good that specializes in small business's like ours. Thread closed

Kidding but it will get leads. Period

Yeah, all jokes aside, we'd completely agree - internet presence is really important. You can spend as little/much as you want, and spend as much time on it as you have to spare, but it's really important in the modern industry.

If you already have a site, start looking into some local Search Engine Optimisation tips (to help you appear on the maps etc.) and think about doing some work on this.

It's worth ensuring your social media is set up, and you post occasionally, too. Definitely not as essential, but places like Facebook groups and LinkedIn can be a good place to get referrals/network, and it boosts your overall credibility (although it takes ages!) - there are lots of good threads on this forum about this stuff, too, if you need some more info.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantifix View Post
Yeah, all jokes aside, we'd completely agree - internet presence is really important. You can spend as little/much as you want, and spend as much time on it as you have to spare, but it's really important in the modern industry.

If you already have a site, start looking into some local Search Engine Optimisation tips (to help you appear on the maps etc.) and think about doing some work on this.

It's worth ensuring your social media is set up, and you post occasionally, too. Definitely not as essential, but places like Facebook groups and LinkedIn can be a good place to get referrals/network, and it boosts your overall credibility (although it takes ages!) - there are lots of good threads on this forum about this stuff, too, if you need some more info.

About 3 years ahead of you jack

Advertisement