Navy Seabees - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Navy Seabees

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
EVIL GENIUS
 
Michaeljp86's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,545
Rewards Points: 5,448
Question

Navy Seabees


Anyone here in the seabees? Im going to talk to a recuiter tomorrow. If you dont know what the seabees are its a construction part of the navy reserve.
__________________
I am just a vessel from which genius flows -Homer Simpson

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Michaeljp86 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 11-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
 
Cdat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,633
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Navy Seabees


My boss was in the reserves. Spending a lot of time overseas right now building schools and the such.

Advertisement

Cdat is offline  
Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Curmudgeon
 
neolitic's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Posts: 11,706
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Navy Seabees


Be patient Michael, there are three
or four regulars here who are
former SeaBees.
Surely they'll be along soon.
__________________
Put your location in your profile!
(Sorry....it seems there really are dumb questions)
neolitic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
EVIL GENIUS
 
Michaeljp86's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,545
Rewards Points: 5,448

Re: Navy Seabees


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdat View Post
My boss was in the reserves. Spending a lot of time overseas right now building schools and the such.
I just got back home from the recuitment office. He said the past 3 years hes been a recuiter nobody hes signed up has been sent anywhere unless they asked to go.

My uncle was in the seabees for 20 years or more, he always liked it. I really liked what I heard, Id probably join but my accident screwed me up this spring when I wanted to look into joining. Id like to go through the training over winter but Im a little late for that.
__________________
I am just a vessel from which genius flows -Homer Simpson

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Michaeljp86 is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Pro
 
Crawdad's Avatar
 
Trade: Lawn Care
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 414
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Navy Seabees


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
I just got back home from the recuitment office. He said the past 3 years hes been a recuiter nobody hes signed up has been sent anywhere unless they asked to go.
...
No one was sent, unless they asked? I'd say he's full of it.
Recruiters... Don't believe a word he says.

Anyone who joins the military nowadays had better be ready to go to war.

Good luck, if you decide to join.

Crawdad, former Seabee
Crawdad is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
EVIL GENIUS
 
Michaeljp86's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,545
Rewards Points: 5,448

Re: Navy Seabees


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
No one was sent, unless they asked? I'd say he's full of it.
Recruiters... Don't believe a word he says.

Anyone who joins the military nowadays had better be ready to go to war.

Good luck, if you decide to join.

Crawdad, former Seabee
Back in high school some of the recuiters would get nasty, almost threaten you if you didnt sign up.

He said very few seabees have been called up, he said this is the armys war so they do the construction work.

He said if you do get called up you go for 9 months, the army reserve is 12 months so I guess its better in that way.

I told him I was looking into the national guard and he really bashed them. He said they just get used blowed up crap left over from the army.
__________________
I am just a vessel from which genius flows -Homer Simpson

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Michaeljp86 is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Da Boss....
 
Schmidt & Co's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting and wallpaper hanging contractor
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 474
Rewards Points: 260

Re: Navy Seabees


Dont listen to the recruter. His job is to get you to join! Keep doing what you are doing now, talk to people who have "been there & done that".

After high school I joined the army reserves. I spent seven years as an MP because I wanted to be a police officer at the time. He told me it was a "sure thing" when I apply. Not so. It didnt help me at all with the various police departments I was applying at. In the end I decided to stick with painting after my father offered me a partnership in the buisness.

Why do you want to join? For the experience the seabees will give you? If that is your only reason, there are other ways of getting it. Keep in mind we are in a time of war. You could very well get called to active duty. If on the other hand your primary reason is to serve your country, then I say go for it.
Schmidt & Co is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Pro
 
Bodger's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,522
Rewards Points: 2,024

Re: Navy Seabees


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
No one was sent, unless they asked? I'd say he's full of it.
Recruiters... Don't believe a word he says.

Anyone who joins the military nowadays had better be ready to go to war.

Good luck, if you decide to join.

Crawdad, former Seabee
VERY true. I know of a contractor in Venice CA who has long been a member of the Army Reserves, having joined after he completed his enlistment in the regulars. He is on his third tour in the sandpile. He's in his fifties, his business is now gone. God bless the man for serving his country, but that seems like a lot of sacrifice and not what he had in mind when he continued his career in the reserves. But that's what can happen when you're in the military, and any recruiter that tells you otherwise is just flapping jaw to fill his quota. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from serving, I'm a veteran myself, I'm just saying be prepared to find yourself deep in the s**t if you do sign up. And stop-loss is no joke, once you're in, the contract you sign with the military isn't worth anything.
Good luck.
Bodger is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
 
Proud Plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Navy Seabees


Back in May I did some Charity work in the Bahamas. We stayed on a Navy Base and the SeaBees lent us a hand with the project. They were an amazing group of guys. Extremely efficient and well put together. I was really impressed.

Strictly my opinion but what a life, being stationed on an Island in Bahamas, at a cool base with three or four bars and all of life's fine amenities. I would do it in a heartbeat. The guys we worked with loved it, they all said they had no regrets and would be sad to leave that world.
Proud Plumber is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
 
INTCONS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Navy Seabees


4 years and counting in NMCB 26. Active time with NMCB 1 and 30NCR.
INTCONS is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
EVIL GENIUS
 
Michaeljp86's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,545
Rewards Points: 5,448

Re: Navy Seabees


Theres a few reasons why I want to join, Ive always wanted to join the army which is why I looked into the army reserves and national guard. This never ending war is really a turn off for them. Im not a good swimmer so I never looked at teh navy. Some how on accident the navy got my phone # and called me and I liked what they said so I met with a recuiter. I sighned up for army info and must have clicked the wrong thing, I was having computer trouble that day with military.com

Besides always wanting to be in the military there is alot of other reasons I wouldnt mind joining too, like cash for school, good health insurence for $60 a month, cheap life insurence, home loans retirement after 20 years etc.

What I dont like is they closed up the reserve training building near here so I would have to drive about 150 miles one way. They pay for your hotel room on the weekend you do training.

I think I may give it one more year, he said it takes 4-5 months from when you join to go to the training center. Id like to go over winter so I may wait to go next winter if I join. Back in june when I got hurt I couldnt move for 2 months so Im really out of shape. Ive really only been back moving again for a month so I probably should wait. The navy is getting all my medical records and criminal records now to see if I can join. They said the metal parts in my shoulder may cause a problem but they could probably get around it.
__________________
I am just a vessel from which genius flows -Homer Simpson

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Michaeljp86 is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 744
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Navy Seabees


Good Luck with whatever you do.My NG unit was activated for Desert Strom, but never went overseas. The year I retire, 2000, they went to Bosnia. 2003 or 04 they went to Iraq. Came home and were re designated from a heavy mechanized brigade to a light brigade. So instead of Tanks and Bradley's, they now ride in trucks and humvees. All this leads up to a deployment to Afghanistan in mid to late 09.

NEVER BELIEVE A RECRUITER! Ask someone that has been there.
__________________
We are the people (our parents warned us about) (Jimmy Buffett)
jbfan is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
 
Cdat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,633
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Navy Seabees


My boss went to Spain, Kosovo and Kuwait. Three years, 3 deployments. He is in the Reserves.

Good thing, he never went to any kind of Basic Training.
Cdat is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Motorboatin' son of a ...
 
BKFranks's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,104
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Navy Seabees


I see job postings for the Seabees all the time. Here's one:

The Seabees of the Navy Reserve Construction Battalion
http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeek...V67H1LF3YV6PGF
__________________

BKFranks is offline  
Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
EVIL GENIUS
 
Michaeljp86's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 2,545
Rewards Points: 5,448

Re: Navy Seabees


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdat View Post
My boss went to Spain, Kosovo and Kuwait. Three years, 3 deployments. He is in the Reserves.

Good thing, he never went to any kind of Basic Training.
What kind of reserves was he in?
__________________
I am just a vessel from which genius flows -Homer Simpson

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Michaeljp86 is offline  
Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #16
Pro
 
Bodger's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,522
Rewards Points: 2,024

Re: Navy Seabees


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
Theres a few reasons why I want to join, Ive always wanted to join the army which is why I looked into the army reserves and national guard. This never ending war is really a turn off for them. Im not a good swimmer so I never looked at teh navy. Some how on accident the navy got my phone # and called me and I liked what they said so I met with a recuiter. I sighned up for army info and must have clicked the wrong thing, I was having computer trouble that day with military.com

Besides always wanting to be in the military there is alot of other reasons I wouldnt mind joining too, like cash for school, good health insurence for $60 a month, cheap life insurence, home loans retirement after 20 years etc.

What I dont like is they closed up the reserve training building near here so I would have to drive about 150 miles one way. They pay for your hotel room on the weekend you do training.

I think I may give it one more year, he said it takes 4-5 months from when you join to go to the training center. Id like to go over winter so I may wait to go next winter if I join. Back in june when I got hurt I couldnt move for 2 months so Im really out of shape. Ive really only been back moving again for a month so I probably should wait. The navy is getting all my medical records and criminal records now to see if I can join. They said the metal parts in my shoulder may cause a problem but they could probably get around it.
From what I've been hearing, the military can "get around" just about anything these days with someone who is willing to join. Including test scores so low that they nearly qualify as illiterate. That's not to infer that you would be sub-standard in any way. I have seen reports that would lead me to believe that there are people currently being accepted for service that would never have made it in the past. Makes me wonder what the company is like on the line these days.
I hope you make it in if that's what you want, and you like what you get.
Bodger is offline  
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #17
 
airborneSGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 186
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Navy Seabees


I was prior service combat arms 11B2P (Airborne Infantry) in the 82nd. Did three trips overseas two of which were combat (OEF/OIF).
Got bored after a while and joined the Reserves as an engineer doing nearly what I would as a G.C.
Got bored again and tried out and will continue to pursue a job in the NG SF.

If you want to go all the way check out the MOS 18C. There is/are at least one person on this site that was from that unit. It all depends on the level of commitment you want. I will say this; in todays operations you can expect to get deployed regardless of reserve/guard or active status. I would venture to say the more difficult units to get into that have some type of selection process will be the better ones to serve with. In those units you know you are serving with the best.

Here is the scoop with Army Reserve vs. National Guard; Reserves took over all the support MOS's and fill in when the active component gets sent where they are needed. National Guard took over all the combat arms; so if you want any job which is combat arms and/or the chances to go to the high speed schools then go this way. Personally I would look into LRS, or 19th, 20th SFG(A) for the Guard.

Now that being said in the Reserves you do have some fairly decent civil engineering units. In the Reserves you will also make rank faster than in the Guard (except for the units I mentioned which you could go from E1-E6 or so by the end of your training).

Here is the not so good part; trying to run a business while pursuing your part time military career is very difficult (ask me or others). I would also say that even a former employer stopped having me run projects when he thought I was training up to deploy even though this was not the case.

If you are very serious about the part time military thing carefully consider your regular 9-5 job. Research ESGR and see if your employer falls under this. Some of the most successful people in the Reserves/Guard 1. Work for some type of local or federal government 2. Work in law enforcement/fire 3. Work for institutions such as schools 4. If not self employed have VERY understanding employers

Think about this also; you want a skill that can translate well into something practical. If you are set on your civy side then by all means be hooah and become a scuba steve or halo Bob. I think the Navy has part time SWCC.

Do your research, ask the questions, and by all means talk to a lot of us prior and currently serving members. Right now I am working recruiting so I can probably also answer some questions.
airborneSGT is offline  
Old 11-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Steep Team's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing Inspections
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Navy Seabees


I went to my local Navy recruiter in 1969 and signed up because I wanted to go into the Seabees.
He said NO problem.
Well I was then sent to San Diego to go to boot camp and after they shaved my head, measured me for my uniform I was told a few days into it that there were no billets open for the Seabees. OOPS to late!
Although they did keep me in the construction trades (turd chaser) I would not trust that recruiter if I were you all his job is is getting another warm body to sign on the line.
Steep Team is offline  
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #19
 
Cdat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,633
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Navy Seabees


Just get it in writing and if he promises you anything and it turns out to be not true, you can destroy his career by filing a complaint with your local senator or congressman. Just an FYI.
Cdat is offline  
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
Pro
 
Bodger's Avatar
 
Trade: GC
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,522
Rewards Points: 2,024

Re: Navy Seabees


Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneSGT View Post
I was prior service combat arms 11B2P (Airborne Infantry) in the 82nd. Did three trips overseas two of which were combat (OEF/OIF).
Got bored after a while and joined the Reserves as an engineer doing nearly what I would as a G.C.
Got bored again and tried out and will continue to pursue a job in the NG SF.

If you want to go all the way check out the MOS 18C. There is/are at least one person on this site that was from that unit. It all depends on the level of commitment you want. I will say this; in todays operations you can expect to get deployed regardless of reserve/guard or active status. I would venture to say the more difficult units to get into that have some type of selection process will be the better ones to serve with. In those units you know you are serving with the best.

Here is the scoop with Army Reserve vs. National Guard; Reserves took over all the support MOS's and fill in when the active component gets sent where they are needed. National Guard took over all the combat arms; so if you want any job which is combat arms and/or the chances to go to the high speed schools then go this way. Personally I would look into LRS, or 19th, 20th SFG(A) for the Guard.

Now that being said in the Reserves you do have some fairly decent civil engineering units. In the Reserves you will also make rank faster than in the Guard (except for the units I mentioned which you could go from E1-E6 or so by the end of your training).

Here is the not so good part; trying to run a business while pursuing your part time military career is very difficult (ask me or others). I would also say that even a former employer stopped having me run projects when he thought I was training up to deploy even though this was not the case.

If you are very serious about the part time military thing carefully consider your regular 9-5 job. Research ESGR and see if your employer falls under this. Some of the most successful people in the Reserves/Guard 1. Work for some type of local or federal government 2. Work in law enforcement/fire 3. Work for institutions such as schools 4. If not self employed have VERY understanding employers

Think about this also; you want a skill that can translate well into something practical. If you are set on your civy side then by all means be hooah and become a scuba steve or halo Bob. I think the Navy has part time SWCC.

Do your research, ask the questions, and by all means talk to a lot of us prior and currently serving members. Right now I am working recruiting so I can probably also answer some questions.
This is slightly off the topic, but did anyone see the recent 60 Minutes that was about the difficulty some returning military personnel are having in getting their old jobs back? The law is clear, if an employee leaves to go on active duty, when he or she returns, they are entitled to get their job back, same pay and all. One of the women they interviewed came back after a deployment, and when she went to get her old job, was told by her employer that it had been filled already, and was offered a lesser paying position wiith reduced benefits. She sued and won. Who was the employer?
The United States Government, and unbelievably, the Office of Veteran's Affairs.

Advertisement

Bodger is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Navy Boats Collide! Cole Off Topic (Non Trade) 1 08-23-2007 04:08 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?