Narrow Escapes And Death Defying Close Calls. - General Discussion - Contractor Talk

Narrow Escapes And Death Defying Close Calls.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #1

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 102

Narrow Escapes And Death Defying Close Calls.

I'd be interested in hearing about your almost injuries. The ones that should have ended in a broken neck etc; but somehow you come out unscathed.

I was walking the walls and lost my balance. I knew that was going down. I spied a 2/6 half wall about 3 foot away and instantly decided to try and land on it. Amazingly enough I landed on it squarely and was uninjured. I've always had good balance, but I thought that had to be a miracle. If I had missed I would have at least broken a leg..I was very grateful!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 638

Re: Narrow Escapes And Death Defying Close Calls.

Once a skidsteer bucket came within about 6 inches of landing on me. The operator was dropping washed rock into the excavation and I was pulling it around with a rake. The lock wasn't engaged on the bucket and it came crashing down the next load he dropped. Scared me and him pretty good.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Youngin' For This Useful Post:
wnerfr (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
Once a skidsteer bucket came within about 6 inches of landing on me. The operator was dropping washed rock into the excavation and I was pulling it around with a rake. The lock wasn't engaged on the bucket and it came crashing down the next load he dropped. Scared me and him pretty good.
Did you have words with the operator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 638

He should have checked the lock and I shouldn't have been standing so close but yes I had some choice words.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 AM   #5
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,466

I was the middle guy setting trusses on a roof. I stabilized the truss while the guys at the ends toe nailed and set the bracing. Trusses were being set with a crane. One truss the hook hung up on the truss after it had been dropped. The operator kept letting out slack to try and free it and then one of the guys on the end smacked the truss with a hammer which freed up the hook. The hook and steel ball dropped and landed right next to me just grazing my shoulder. 6" over and it would have been lights out. That steel ball with the hook was bigger than my head.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I had a wake up call just recently. I was an electrician in the military and know better but I was painting the trim on my own house and put my new Little Giant ladder through the paces seeing what all it could do. I opened it up all the way and then realized it got pretty close to the power lines. It wouldn't have touched, not quite long enough but it could have been.

I've got fiberglass ladders but no, had to play with the new toy.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 16

I once tipped over my Lull. Hung on for dear life and rode it down.
1985gt (07-27-2015), JAH (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,886

My boss was booming up the second floor wall package while I guided him. We hadn't put rails around the stair opening yet. As he was pushing it further onto the floor, I was walking backwards. I slipped, my one foot went down, but somehow I managed to not fall backwards down the hole. Scraped my shin pretty good, but I have no idea how I didn't go down.

Another time I was walking the joists over a garage (same subdivision) carrying a couple joists on my shoulder. Slipped, boom, landed on my chest on a joist. Had a diagonal bruise across my chest for a good couple weeks. Lucky I didn't crush my sternum.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

From least serious to the most.

1. Unloading pallets of asphalt off the semi, using a skidloader rated for 1600lbs. The pallets are 2k plus. Sandbags on the back of the skidloader, and the tires were filled with ballast, it was a tippy operation but I had done it many times. The semi didn't park in the most levelest of spots, picked up the pallet and started backing away, next thing I know I'm face down and kegs of asphalt are all over the ground and the shinny new trailer rims. I pushed my self back up right and started picking up the kegs, the trucker laughed. I was unable to with the couple of bruised ribs.

2. Digging out for egress windows in my own house. Going to town with a mini ex head phones in lights on and trying to get all 3 dug out in a few hours so I could cut the block and install the next day. Well 1/2 through the first hole I started to tip, caught my self with the bucket, dumped some dirt out and pushed my self back up. Next time make sure the tracks are out dummy.

3. Egress windows at the neighbors up the street. Marked the locations in the block, cut the outside as deep as I could with the demo saw, now on to the inside. 7" grinder diamond wheel and the neighbors wife spraying down the blade with a water bottle. She went to go refill, just then the blade caught kicked back at me and grabbed a hold of my shirt. She walks back in the room, looks at me and my shirt, I turn back around and start cutting again.

4. Loading a roof on a production plant. 60+' up. It was windy and we were lifting some plywood, load starting swinging and spinning. Signaled to boom down the load, the operator kept swinging over to where it was over our head. Moved closer to the edge signaling and yelling, after a few minutes of confusion and our super who was rigging yelled at the operator to follow my signals he finally set it down. Found out a few minutes later from another guy my right foot was 1/2 off the edge of the roof. Someone was on the look out for me that day.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J L View Post
I was the middle guy setting trusses on a roof. I stabilized the truss while the guys at the ends toe nailed and set the bracing. Trusses were being set with a crane. One truss the hook hung up on the truss after it had been dropped. The operator kept letting out slack to try and free it and then one of the guys on the end smacked the truss with a hammer which freed up the hook. The hook and steel ball dropped and landed right next to me just grazing my shoulder. 6" over and it would have been lights out. That steel ball with the hook was bigger than my head.
That operator should have been fired. I once had a bundle of trusses come unhooked because of the way my boss strapped them. They were so high that they went through the floor busting a couple of TJI.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,226

I was helping rebuild an asphalt plant a few years back. We were using the 500 loader to swing in catwalks and the bucket pinched my ring against the railing. One for a second but I was sure I was losing a finger
Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

In the military on a ship, I was putting a cover on a 440v panel for the air supply blowers in the engine room. I didn't touch the wires but there was enough juice to bridge the gap and it felt like it drove my heels through the steel deck plates. Had to sit down for a bit because my heart rhythm was all out of whack.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 16

I was helping a buddy with his pole barn. I went up the extension ladder with the worm drive to cut the excess off the scabs on the posts next to the trusses. Pinned the guard back, made the cut and brought the saw back, cutting through the pocket and pack of cigs in my flannel shirt. Not a nick in my t-shirt.

I said "don't you dare tell my wife!"
Old 07-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
Kowboy

Trade: Countertops
Rewards Points: 8,486

Many years ago I was standing in line on the very steep stairs of an amusement park ride. This put a very cute female teenage butt in blue jeans right at face level. Suddenly the line lunged forward, then backward just as quickly and cute butt lost her balance. Instinctively I raised my hand and pushed her upright by her right cheek. She never turned around, said thank you, nor did she report me to the authorities.

C'mon, it's kinda related.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:
batgham (07-28-2015), tgeb (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
EVIL GENIUS

Trade: General Contractor, electrical, fabrication, & wel
Rewards Points: 5,472

Ive got a few stories, one that still surprises me was when I was trying to load the trencher on a trailer. We bought the thing at an auction not running so I never drove the thing up the trailer before this. It had really low ground clearance and would hang up on the edge of the trailer, just a fuz more and it would clear it. I had the bright idea to use the backhoe on it to give it a little push. so Im trying to drive the piece of junk and push with the backhoe at the same time. The machine is really loud and my dad walks up next to the trailer to tell me something. Not a good place to stand when someone is loading a machine. Anyways the slopped out hydraulic controls must have hit the swing function or something because next thing I know the machine flipped off the trailer and was sitting right where my dad was standing. Some how it didnt flip over but my dad had to be crushed under the machine. Then in the panic of OH %#[email protected]&%$%#* I noticed my dad standing on side of the trencher. He must have did some fancy leg work to avoid that.

Another one was I was helping a buddy load up free logs for firewood that the power company was taking down. He had his backhoe out in the dunes where the logs were. I would hook a strap on and he would pull the logs out of the words with the loader. Anyways he swung the backhoe around and I moved my head when I seen it coming, missed my head by an inch. He says they must have taught you how to dodge bullets in boot camp. Time to find a new helper.

Another one was when me and my dad were fixing his basement that Everdry screwed up. We were digging out around the house in very heavy clay soil. I was down in the hole talking and looked at the dirt and noticed a hairline crack wiggle its way across. Something in my mind said RUN!!! so I jumped out from where I was standing and about 4000lbs of dirt collapsed where I was, just barely got my foot. after that we got a backhoe and made it nice and wide.

One time we were putting in a 400 amp service on a house. We were pulling out the original 200 amp and we didnt cut the service entrance cable yet. I guess my dad brain farted not thinking the power was still on. He was talking about something says something like we will pull these off and when he said these he put his fingers on the lugs where the service entrance cable connects to the meter socket. I guess he had some well insulated boots on.

When I was a kid I would go hunting with my dad. We were squirrel hunting and we had our spots to sit.I heard him shoot and a split second later I heard the .22 wiz by my ear.

The last one was back in 2008 when I was working for a farmer friend of mine and he wanted me to saw a limb off a tree. I was about 15ft up and the limb dropped and hit the ladder knocking me to the ground head first. I got busted up over it but I should have died.

Global warming is a myth, like evolution and the metric system.
U.S. Coast Guard
Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

I surfed a scrap of Tyvek a few feet down a roof once. It was night, and I was all alone, wrestling rolls of membrane around, getting a roof dried in before a storm hit. I was wearing fall protection and my harness pulled me down onto my butt. I was too exhausted to be scared, so I just got back up and finished the job. No question the harness saved my life.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
I surfed a scrap of Tyvek a few feet down a roof once. It was night, and I was all alone, wrestling rolls of membrane around, getting a roof dried in before a storm hit. I was wearing fall protection and my harness pulled me down onto my butt. I was too exhausted to be scared, so I just got back up and finished the job. No question the harness saved my life.

No close call there. You were never in danger if you had a harness on.
I never wear a harness...to restrictive.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnerfr View Post
No close call there. You were never in danger if you had a harness on.
I never wear a harness...to restrictive.
That's not what his pucker thought.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (08-01-2015), CarpenterSFO (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnerfr View Post
... You were never in danger if you had a harness on.
That's correct, I'm alive today, because I was wearing a harness.
Xtrememtnbiker (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
That's correct, I'm alive today, because I was wearing a harness.

What does wearing a harness have to do with a close call? I'm looking for close calls, and death defying narrow escapes.

How high was the roof? I've fallen 13 feet and landed on my feet with no injuries. Once I fell 9 foot and landed on a brick? Got up and my boss pointed out that the brick was broken in half? No injuries unless you can qualify that an injury includes 15 minutes of intense pain.

Advertisement